What's the dumbest thing you've done to your van? (1 Viewer)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Didn't check the hab door was locked when leaving the garage after the hab check. They needed me out of the way as they had another vehicle coming in and I was under pressure and flustered.

Luckily no harm done when the door came open as I was driving.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
About 30 years ago I ran over my four year old son!

We were camping in a very soggy South of France in our VW Camper. I was going off to do some shopping and duly uncoupled the drive-away awning, and seeing my son playing at the front of the awning, started the engine, and began to reverse. What I didn't expect was for him to hear the engine start, run into the awning, and dive under the zipped down side, emerging just by the front wheel!

The wheel went completely over his leg, at about knee level, resulting in terrifying screams. Luckily, the ground was so soft that his leg was forced into the ground, and no actual damage was done, but just typing this is making me feel funny, remembering what a tragedy it could have been.

It's the only time I have been grateful that the ground was soft, when camping.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I reckon @Revolvor is not going to be beaten with that o_O

We pulled in to a layby in Scotland, actually we was me and Lola, checked map for route, then decided to give Lola a walk, stood up and moved back to the hab door, looked outside and thought how it looked like we were moving, opened door and we were moving :whistle:

Had left MH in Drive (auto gear box), luckily the ground was rough and slightly uphill so we didn't move fast or far, could have been sooooooo much worse

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
1989, sitting at work, call from ferry company, the 11.30pm ferry from Portsmouth has been cancelled you've been transferred onto the 8.00pm from Weymouth....Rushed home, attached caravan set off in a panic, had to drop off cats at the cattery on the way in a cul de sac...Turning circle blocked with parked cars..detached caravan without realising how steep the slope was, off it went backwards with me hanging on...Only thought was to try and swing it around, partially successful as it disappeared up someone's driveway, across the lawn, rose bed and into the shrubs at the far side...Luckily I was able to attach the car and pull it out and turn around at the same time...I left a note and business card saying I would pay for any damages, never heard a thing...Caravan was OK as well

Even better by the time my wife had come out of the cattery, the car was on the road and she was none the wiser!!

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Forgot that I was parked nearer to the house than usual and when I put lock on to drive off caught the gutter on the porch with the rear top corner fortunately was only just setting off so no real damage done apart from a scratch and a broken end on the plastic gutter of the porch:doh: never done it since

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Early 90's entering the town of Cassis to meet up with French family, I was driving an Autosleepers Hi-Top van. I saw the height restriction thingy hanging from a gantry and thought "Nah, that's not for me", drove round it and entered town.
The only parking was set into the cliff side with entry at the top. As I descended down through the spiral tunnel I realised that the roof was getting lower and lower and it then dawned on me why the height restriction was in place!
Started to reverse and realised there were several cars behind me, a fun-filled 20 minutes ensued as 6 vehicles slowly reversed back up the spiral.

I managed to park at the open bit at the top and my French Sis-in-law managed to negotiate our exit through the barrier when we left.
The attendant was apoplectic with fury screaming that the damned Anglais did this every day to him!

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Having driven a mile or so from campsite, I stopped at some traffic lights. The chap in front came to my door waving his arms. What's up? I asked. You have left your step out mate, came the reply. Hope not, said I, havn't got a fixed one. On investigation I had forgotten to secure the sliding pull out locker... No damage thank goodness, hate to think what it could have done as it opens out for a good foot....or leg, or chin or lamp post!! :tmi:

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Mack100 said:
Early 90's entering the town of Cassis to meet up with French family, I was driving an Autosleepers Hi-Top van. I saw the height restriction thingy hanging from a gantry and thought "Nah, that's not for me", drove round it and entered town.
The only parking was set into the cliff side with entry at the top. As I descended down through the spiral tunnel I realised that the roof was getting lower and lower and it then dawned on me why the height restriction was in place!
Started to reverse and realised there were several cars behind me, a fun-filled 20 minutes ensued as 6 vehicles slowly reversed back up the spiral.

I managed to park at the open bit at the top and my French Sis-in-law managed to negotiate our exit through the barrier when we left.
The attendant was apoplectic with fury screaming that the damned Anglais did this every day to him!

Done something similar in a 35 seated coach with Richard Digance and his crew on board, ( http://www.richarddigance.com ) only this time it was under a low railway bridge....I was the bloody subject of some of his jokes that night in the theatre!! :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

jansellsbond

Free Member
Feb 24, 2016
Dawlish
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Broadway FB
Exp
since 2004
Locked myself out -had to beg a coat hanger from nearby shop, climb on roof and fish bunch if keys from table through skylight....
Looked at satnav instead of reversing camera ----ooops!
Did that thingy with the diesel/petrol £££££
Parked in huge car park in Koblenz - forgot where it was....hours and hours searching.
Drove off grass site ploughing twin furrows with steadylegs. !!!! unprintable comments from site owners.
Threaded my way in to tiny Spanish town thinking Fiesta warning sign meant Siesta -2km reversing to somewhere to do 123 point turn.

The wife does all the driving now......wonder why?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Forgot the cardinal rule of tight manoeuvring – watch for the rear overhang swing out. Only concerned with the front end on a 90 deg turn and took my eye off the rear end. Clipped / Smashed the corner of a wall and scratched the canopy and broke off the end cap. Lesson well and truly learned and never to be repeated:cautious:

The dumbest thing Jane has done:- Talk to me after I did it:D

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
I reversed a 2 week old van into my gate post at home, too busy shouting at the wife to hear cracking and scraping sound from the rear. She doesn't understand if she can't see my mirrors I can't see her.
So it must have been her fault!

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I once won a motorbike on Ebay while we were away in the motor home.
The bike was in Norfolk and as we wasn't too far away, wondered if I could get it into the van - to save me coming back down to collect it at a later date.
The chap was happy for me to dismantle it in his drive so I went for it.
After a couple of hours taking of all the sticky out bits and the front wheel and mudguard. After removing various cupboard doors It did go through the narrow hab door. We then cushioning the bike against the the bathroom door and the bed with some old tires and we was away.

Not sure I would do it again!

DSC00516.JPG

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Attempted to open one of the rear doors on our PVC so it was fully open and level with the side of the van - forgetting completely that there was a Fiamma cycle carrier mounted to the door of which i was opening, after realizing why it wouldnt open any further i then realized :eek: Crap ! Too late the carrier had put a big dent in the corner of the van just above the rear light cluster... cost me £80 to get it took out but i never heard the last of it :LOL::LOL:

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Did the same thing in a small French Town with the height restriction 'thingy me bob' not sure why to this day can only think I must have been tired but despite knowing I was too high I proceeded to head down into the underpass and 'thumped' into the height restrictor!! Have to say June was very unimpressed and happily reminds me of the incident whenever I make a small crirism of her driving lol. Luckily and amazingly no damage apart from a couple of scuffs which polished off but caused several French drivers amusement..

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We arrived at a site on Lake Garda with m/home and trailer at night so uncoupled the trailer and put the van on the pitch. The following morning I dropped the rear door and raised the roof on the trailer, unstrapped the bike and proceeded to reverse out. Just got onto the door/ramp when the front of the trailer reared up like a wild mustang and the back dropped like a rapidly descending lift, much to the amusement of the audience which had gathered to see what was in the trailer. Obviously I had forgotten to put the rear steady down. Luckily no damage done other than bruised ego. However that wasn't the end of it. When it came to leaving I couldn't understand why it was so difficult to manhandle the trailer, putting it down to a sticking brake. So I backed up, connected to the van and drove forward with the intention of shocking the brake off. Having cleared the pitch it became apparent why it wouldn't move. I could have planted potatoes in the furrow I had created. The cycle was now complete, forgot to put the rear steady down on arrival and forgot to wind it up before leaving.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Not in the motorhome but, in the mid 80's, I turned the wrong way onto the round-a-bout at the Arc de Triomph, Paris, while towing a caravan. Faced by numerous lanes of oncoming traffic it was only an elderly French gentleman, who stopped his car in front of me and halted traffic by opening both of his front doors, that saved the day. It gave me enough room and time to reverse and turn in the right direction.
He even still had both of his doors remaining when he drove away!

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
Last van in the rush to get away forgot the EHU cable got about 6mts before it ripped out of the van socket .......! Won't do that again ......oh yeah new van decided to move the van to a better pitch ........ bollocks again!!!!! Luckily not as far and no damage.. Twisted knee trying to boot my own arse :love:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Locked myself out -had to beg a coat hanger from nearby shop, climb on roof and fish bunch if keys from table through skylight....
Looked at satnav instead of reversing camera ----ooops!
Did that thingy with the diesel/petrol £££££
Parked in huge car park in Koblenz - forgot where it was....hours and hours searching.
Drove off grass site ploughing twin furrows with steadylegs. !!!! unprintable comments from site owners.
Threaded my way in to tiny Spanish town thinking Fiesta warning sign meant Siesta -2km reversing to somewhere to do 123 point turn.

The wife does all the driving now......wonder why?
Blimey! With all that going on I'm not sure I should invite you to join the Far South-West group... In any case you have to pay your £15 annual subs (the best £15 you'll ever spend/ you heard it here first) to be able to join MHF Social Groups...
Broken Link Removed

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Hope you are following this thread @ianthebuilder !!!!

Not only you, lots of brave people admitting to self made disasters - or near disasters

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
After having stopped in a lay by on a Germany autobahn for a cuppa one sunny afternoon I set off again... After picking up speed I heard a sort of banging... slowed down it went away speed up back it came... After about 3 attempts the penny dropped... I partially deployed my sun canopy to shade me while having tea...
Pulled over and yes it was part out with winding handle still hanging there as well...fabric was torn a bit but other than the embarrassment no harm done...
A whole new meaning to a drive away awning lol
Andy

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Not dumb, just useless.
Took out a shrub on a Caravan Club site.
They were very nice about it.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

So why didn't he get a sign that said "Yes that means you English people."

if she can't see my mirrors I can't see her.

Get walkie-talkies.

His best "duh" moment was when he wound down the window to ask why I wasn't directing him into a parking space (via said wt). I yelled back I was - and he realised his wasn't switched on. :)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Stopped at the Auchan in Coquelles to stock up before getting on the ferry and a fellow motorhomer remarked that I stowed my awning winder in a strange place. Hanging off the winder!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Not in a MH but when camping drove off with top box open and wondered why people were pipping and waving! Only lost a pillow and a towel somewhere in Northumberland!:whistle:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Forgetting it was American and wider than my Buccaneer broke the mirror on my way home after picking it up, it being left hooker didn`t help, I drive more carefully now:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I bought a magnetic GB sign (so that I could remove it if nec'). All of the rear panel on my van is GRP. Doh!

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Drive off with the pole aerial still attached.

I realised my mistake when it hit a tree. :rofl::rofl:

Hymie.

I forgot the daftest thing I've done so far, or it may have been SMS (selective memory syndrome).

Took Harriet to the secure park, where she lives, for the first time.

Clipped the hab door back and went to the car for something, walked back and the door had blown shut, locked tight.

Couldn't walk away and go back with the spare set the Boss Lady has as, being in plonker mode, I had left the engine running, doh.

Had some tools in the car and just managed to drill through the lock as the battery died, but was using a small drill bit, pulled the car apart and finally found a small scissor-like clamp set used as a heat-sink when soldering.

After some time fiddling with these I finally managed to get the door open and turn off the engine, soaked through as it was chucking it down the whole while.

I then had to drive in to Braintree to get a replacement lock barrel, God only knows what I looked like but as I approached the counter the woman behind it took a step or two backward, I was dripping.

Drove back, fitted the barrel then had a 90 minute drive home soaked through but at least warm. It took 3 days for the car seat to stop squelching as I slid around on a bin liner. :getmecoat:

Hymie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back