What's the dumbest thing you've done to your van?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DanielFord, Mar 1, 2016.

1. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

OK, have to confess. Last week, I checked the weather, and saw the temps were dropping to sub zero when I wouldn't be near the van. I have been using the frost protect, but I don't really trust it, and we had -2 and -3 predicted. I duly dumped the boiler, but I was in a rush, and didn't run through my usual procedure. I left the water draining, and headed off, forgetting to switch off the water heater on the electrics (I think you can see where this is going)
    I arrived back at the van yesterday, lovely day, so busied myself getting everything ready, putting my luggage inside, keeping the muddy dog out etc., and grabbed the EHU lead. Plug in and switch on, and then grab dog and head to the van, I then hear this sort of bubbling fizzing sound coming from the back of the van! What the Frak is that I think. In an instant it dawns on me! The heater element is on, and as James May would say, "Oh Cock!" I literally run for the control panel hit isolate the water heater.
    I left it 20 minutes before hitting the water pump to fill the boiler. You can't imagine my relief after waiting a further 30 minutes when I got piping hot waterfrom the taps.
    So what is your most dumb/senior moment dealing with your van, can you top nearly frying a boiler?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Sell it (almost):(

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Its not funny:crying:

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Disconnect the car, still on the A frame and watch it roll into the back of the Motorhome with a sickening crunch:(

• Funny Funny x 8
  5. Hymie

Hymie Funster

Drive off with the pole aerial still attached.

I realised my mistake when it hit a tree. :rofl::rofl:

Hymie.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

When I had a caravan I always took the brake off when the legs were wound down on the very slightly sloping drive. You guessed it, one day wound legs back up without first setting the brakes. It took a couple of seconds to realise why the van had begun rolling back at me. It then it dawned on me what a pillock I'd just turned out to be, managed to stop it but then had to perform a contortionist manoeuvre to try winding the back legs back down whilst holding the caravan back. A quick look around to see if any of the neighbours were rolling around in fits of laughter, got away with it, job done.
    Don't you find that its always when we're rushing that we do daft things? (n)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Adbt

Adbt Funster

Nearly nearly nearly drove off with the motorhome on hook up at home ( very short lead ) . Suddenly remembered when I'd gone about two yards, let's just say the lead was " tight " n yes it is when we hurry !

• Like Like x 2
  8. The Cruisers

The Cruisers Funster

When we had a caravan I drove off with the motor mover still wound onto the tyres. A little way along the road I noticed smoke coming from the wheels!! Needless to say the rollers were smooth so they cost a bit to replace. Easy mistake I told my husband when he arrived on site after he finished work!!
    Bought the motorhome last year and nothing dumb happened yet ( but I haven't got round to driving it yet)

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Years ago I once drove off with the EHU still attached! Got yanked out at the van but thankfully no serious damage to the site leccy post. Just needed to re-wire the plug end and all was well. Van was intact.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Candapack

Candapack Funster

Encouraged a reluctant wife to have a go at driving.
    Thankfully, she didn't enjoy the experience. :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. The Cruisers

The Cruisers Funster

It's strange candapack. I used to pack, hitch up and drive to venue then unhitch and completely set up the caravan including water, waste etc and it always seemed that as soon as I had completed all those tasks and was just about to sit down, hubby used to arrive. He Worked in London and by the time he got home and got caravan sorted it would be late so I took over and he just arrived when all set up. I swear he hung around behind a tree until I had finished!! YET I still haven't driven the motor home. Not sure whether it's because of the size (only 7.2 meters long) or if it's that hubby would be sitting next to me making me feel nervous.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Adbt

Adbt Funster

My wife can drive the van ( she's brilliant at it and did the CC course ) but ................. I LOVE driving n I mean love it , don't get tired ( tho do do the rest after 2 hrs malarkey) so the fact is I do 99% of the driving . Should let go I suppose , only have to break a foot or knack a knee !

13. Boycie

Boycie Funster

Wheelies :Eeek:
    wheelie.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I was about to say the same :(

15. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Driving around at 60+ mph with a 55cm satellite dish still up springs readily to mind.

Insisting that said satellite dish be fitted in the one part of the roof where water collects comes a close second, given that a hole needed drilling for the windy thing, and the fitter wasn't exactly competent with sealant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Lets just say I have forgotten to put the handbrake on a few times:whistle:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. ceejayt

ceejayt Funster Life Member

In Dusseldorf I drove out of our parking space with the slide out still out! Goodness knows how much damage I would have caused - fortunately only got a few yards when I realised for some reason something was blocking my view from my wing mirror - oops - that would be me. What a pillock!

• Funny Funny x 5
  18. marrod23

marrod23 Funster

Filled it with petrol instead of diesel very expensive mistake

• Like Like x 2
  19. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

I left a campsite once without clamping the dormobile lift up roof, it was an old VW camper and going over a bump on the motorway the roof popped up and it was a while before I could find a safe place to stop I got some strange looks from all the other drivers:)

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. ceejayt

ceejayt Funster Life Member

Yup - done that too on our very first motorhome!