whats the deal with ex - refridgerated pannelled vans? (1 Viewer)

DanDredd

Free Member
Feb 3, 2010
Maidstone , Kent
Funster No
Exp
hmmmm!
Hey im looking for a lwb sprinter to convert and wondered about the insulation used in ex fridge vans.. has anyone converted one? im thinking the bonuses of it but dont know any negatives.. even the bonus of leaving the fridge unit on front of roof so ya camper looks like a fridge van to theives lol. thanks in advance for ya answers and opions :)

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
even the bonus of leaving the fridge unit on front of roof so ya camper looks like a fridge van to theives

I doubt if it makes it less attractive to thieves. I thought the most attractive load to thieves is refrigerated meat or fish because its high value, untraceable, easy to sell, and quickly consumed.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

Fridge vans have excellent insulation, the problem I see is the insulation thickness, usually polystyrene and about 6" thick, which may make it difficult to fit windows, roof lights, fridge vents etc .. it also reduces the internal dimensions significantly .. also, as these are expensive vans to start with they are generally run into the ground before being replaced..

hth

jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi DD,
I have seen one that was only 2 ins thick (stuffed with rock-wool type stuff ) and S/Steel in the rear.The seals to the refrigeration unit left a lot to be desired and I had no doubt leaked.My own intention was to use the fridge unit as both heat and cold but it seemed to create a lot of condensation and was dripping- never sure if it was leaking :ROFLMAO:This among other things put us off at the time when i spotted what I still have now :thumb:
Link Removed
I have no idea of how good a conversion you plan but as soon as you put in any M/H windows you loose your stealth / secrecy :ROFLMAO: also on a lot of sites they will not let you stay without it looking like a camper
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back