Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Morpeth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
12 years
My motorhome's charger /12volt power supply has started to murmer with a 50htz humm. Does this mean it's on it's way out or will It just annoy me enough to change it anyway?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Reasons for transformer hum
Transformers hum because their laminations and windings rattle mechanically. This is best known as mechanical hum. This can be caused by several things, including poor construction and poor AC power conditions or both. If your equipment has a noisy transformer, you’ve probably also noticed that it’s intensity varies depending on the time of day, sometimes even the time of month. The reason it varies is due, in large part, to the quality of the AC line voltage and how much DC is on it.
Link Removed

Personally I would just put up with it until it either gives up or you get used to it :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Mine used to do it and it was the laminations on the transofrmer working loose. Luckily I could tighten them as they were assembled using bolts,just tightend up and added a touch of Loctite.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
You can at least disconnect and stop the humming. I have it continuously without trying:ROFLMAO: I think they call it tinnitus.

Don

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back