What's the best way to clean dead flies off your motor home. (1 Viewer)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I had seen a couple of suggestions on here before but after trying a couple of searches I can't seem to find them.
After a trip last weekend down to Marseilles the front of my van is covered in dead flies and insects.
I have been pressure washing the front, then leave it to soak then pressure washing again and using a soft brush to clean them off. Is there a better way?

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
I've been using Snowfoam recently on my cars which has proved fantastic may try it on the motorhome just not sure about pressure washing it off :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I used to work in Halford and people used to swear by the stuff we sold in there. It's been 30 since I worked there but I'm sure if you asked an assistant they would know. I used it the too. I just wait for shampoo to soak in now before cleaning them off.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Never let them get baked on. A bucket of water and a soft brush on a long pole, after each drive if it's hot and sunny.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
We haven't had a dead fly on the front of ours since we started reversing to all our destinations. :doh:

I do agree they are easier to remove if they are not baked on, but I really cannot start cleaning the van on an Aire after a long hot drive.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We haven't had a dead fly on the front of ours since we started reversing to all our destinations. :doh:

I do agree they are easier to remove if they are not baked on, but I really cannot start cleaning the van on an Aire after a long hot drive.
Why not? Takes no more than a few minutes. Your not washing the whole van, just a quick rinse off on the screen and grille.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
On a less frivolous note, I went into a French Bricolage store just the other day and bought a window cleaning implement with an extending 2m handle, a squeegee and a removable cleaning pad on it for scrubbing the MH front with. It doesn't do a a bad job.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Mainly because I like to sip at a drink and meet new folk and explore my surroundings rather than clean the front of my van!
Sounds plausible, glad you're convinced, the damage that can be done long term is difficult to refurbish. Maybe @Charlie will come on and provide some advice?

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
To remove baked on flies without damaging your van first off give them a drink. This is best achieved by spraying them with a mild detergent mix via a small garden sprayer, if it's a warm day keep applying to keep the flies moist. After a while the flies should easily removed. To aid future removal waxing the front of your van with a quality wax such a Colonite 476 will keep the van nice slippery.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Oops double post

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I'll just add my personal observations on this. Here's how I go about it.

I take a look outside. If it's a nice day, dry and perhaps sunny with a light breeze I check that I have all the equipment I need then start the van and....

....go somewhere nice for the day/weekend. Why waste it cleaning motorhomes!

If, on the other hand it's rainy/drizzley whatever method you use they will already have had a good soaking to soften them, which will make it easier, and the rain seems to prevent whatever you are using from just drying up on the surface.

Are you put off by it raining? Well no matter how nice a day it may be do you really think you could do it without getting wet? :cry:

Reminds me of the time a few years ago when a few familys from work arranged to go swimming one day, one family never showed up and when asked why they couldn't make it she replied, "It looked like rain - we'd have got wet" :wasntme:

Wyn

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
Well, I have just had a go at my MH. Piping hot soapy water and a soft brush on an extendable handle and a bit of elbow grease, seems to work. Now I know why some continental MH drivers carry a bucket and soft brush with them and clean their MH as soon as they arrive at the Aire.

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
Colinite 476, I put 2 coats on the front to provide for more frequent washing protection(y)

I have some. Only bought it the other day. I will give it a try. It cleaned my car up a treat. The wife was so impressed she took my car and left me her's.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
remind me of the name of the polish or wax you used last time.

a quality wax such a Colonite 476 will keep the van nice slippery.

Colinite 476, I put 2 coats on the front to provide for more frequent washing protection(y)

That's the one and if @FJmike says it too then I have no doubts whatsoever.

I keep promising a trip up to you Mike or would you come down just past Salisbury for a good days work?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I'll just add my personal observations on this. Here's how I go about it.

I take a look outside. If it's a nice day, dry and perhaps sunny with a light breeze I check that I have all the equipment I need then start the van and....

....go somewhere nice for the day/weekend. Why waste it cleaning motorhomes!

If, on the other hand it's rainy/drizzley whatever method you use they will already have had a good soaking to soften them, which will make it easier, and the rain seems to prevent whatever you are using from just drying up on the surface.

Are you put off by it raining? Well no matter how nice a day it may be do you really think you could do it without getting wet? :cry:

Reminds me of the time a few years ago when a few familys from work arranged to go swimming one day, one family never showed up and when asked why they couldn't make it she replied, "It looked like rain - we'd have got wet" :wasntme:

Wyn

Sorry @FJmike you must have posted your reply while I was typing mine. Same principle, though.

Wyn

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My solution to the squashed flies problem is to reduce my speed.

This gives them the chance to take avoiding action.

They live on this earth too you know.

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
My solution to the squashed flies problem is to reduce my speed.

This gives them the chance to take avoiding action.

They live on this earth too you know.

JJ :cool:

I was driving slow, trying to get the best economy out of the MH. I think my flies were the Japanese Kamikaze type on a raiding mission here in France.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Few quirts of this, watch them dissolve and quick spray or wipe.
IMG_3472.JPG

Or, ask the neighbours, I've always found them willing to help in what ever way possible:)
IMG_3473.JPG

IMG_3474.JPG

IMG_3475.JPG

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
A hand wash cleaning crew, near where I used to live, had a bottle of nameless spray that removed them with ease, even after 1000kms of baking! They would never reveal what it was.

However, coincidentally, as I put the car through a different wash machine, I noticed these containers stacked ready for use;

IMG_20170422_102948.jpg

Clearly labelled 'Corrosive' you have to hope they put it in the correct part of he wash :)

Or perhaps that's the fly scraper :)

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
If prevention is better than cure perhaps some shrink rap around the front of the vehicle would do the trick :) you could just peel it off when you get to where you're going. Dont forget to leave a hole for the radiator though.;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back