What's normal.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Phillis, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Phillis

Phillis Read Only Funster

Obviously there's no normal when it comes to insurance but I'm having real difficulty insuring my minibus conversion (still to be completed) but could anyone give me some idea of what a reasonable motorhome premium should be. I'm 29 with a clean licence and record and the vehicle is an LDV Convoy? Thanks

2. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

If you look at a previous post - the full explantion is there.

You have a minibus -NOT a motorhome.

It becomes a motorhome WHEN IT IS COMPLETED.

I have seen people having rants before when insurers have walked off with their money, and cancelled their policy on 'not finished, self builds' as they are not motorhomes/campers.

Insurers, due to the higher value placed on campers, look at it as fraud. They get quite upset about it. It is a minbus until you have funished the conversion, and have re-registered it.

Keep it as a bus, and you have a year to convert!:thumb:

3. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

i pay 265inc breakdown £30k cover 2 drivers both clean licence and older than 50

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Motor Insurance generally has taken a steep upturn this year:RollEyes:
    Because of it very nature as you know normal does not exist I know people who have moved 30 meters up the same road get a £60 increase because of post code
    Best guesstimate for you, circa £250 to £500 and be happy anywhere in between
    Often the best way with self builds is an agreed value cover policy, you tell them the value you want and premium is based on that amount.

Get your bus/camper fitted out with the basics reqd first, see dvla site for info on what qualifies it to be a camper, and get it re resisted ASAP

New regulations due April 2012 will make life very difficult for self builders to re classify their new builds, without having to have a single vehicle approval test, and believe me you don't want one of those:Doh:
    Geo