What's lurking in your cupboards ?

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by peter H, Jun 28, 2011.

1. peter H

peter H Funster Life Member

Just finished making some welshcakes for the meet in Shrewsbury this weekend.
    Get your tickets now, its not quite too late !
    Hope 5 doz will be enough !

Anyway, I moisten the currants in a little brandy, finished the bottle of cooking brandy today. Looked at the label, it was a half bottle of spanish brandy Carlos I, i like hot brandies.

The price tag said 1495 Pts.

Given that the Euro launched (or started its slow sink) in 1995 that means the bottle is over 15 years old, more likely nearer to 20years.

So what you got lurking at the back of the 'booze' cupboard you once loved now have forgoten about ?

Peter

PS also got the remains of a bottle of Bacardi I bought in 1973 ! Does it improve?

2. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Got a couple of bottle of champers from 1979 bet they are horrible now ! Mark has some old whisky (I have know him 20 years and never know him drink anything except coffee ) so don't know where that come from.

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

my booze cupboard only contains old bottles that other people have given me from the back of their cupboards, I am happy to act as a clearing house for old booze hee hee. Nice to be of some use.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  4. JJ

JJ Funster

Don't have a "booze" cupboard (Blood of the Devil) but when searching for some electrical tape yesterday I found a couple of (special raisin free)) Welshcakes that had "escaped" How I will never know...:Sad:

JJ :Cool:

PS. If there are Peter H's Welshcakes on offer it is reason enough to attend the show... never mind any other attractions like the dealers and Sunshine Mountain climbing etc

• Like Like x 2
  5. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

I've got a litre bottle of Archers Peach Schnapps that must be 10 years old.

Does anyone know if it goes off?

6. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

I have a bottle of Port which is god only knows how old! If you look at the painting 'The Last Supper', its' the bottle third from the right, in front of the guy with the shifty look on his face. Still in the cupboard.

And a bottle of Champage which is about 6 years old - should go off with a bang later.

7. champers

champers Funster Life Member

How have you got me bottled :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

It depends what champers you have and how its been stored ...when we visited the champagne houses they showed us vintaged bottles of champers that werre worth a fortune ( nope didnt get a chance to taste those) so would ask someone first before giving / throwing them , you could be lucky :Rofl1::Rofl1: if not i am only down the road :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

We seem to have Amarretto (SP) n Chivas Regal in our cupboards for years

Kath

• Like Like x 1
  8. peter H

peter H Funster Life Member

Stick it in a trifle.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  9. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Green with envy

Booze in our house never lasts long enough to find its way into a cupboard.........must be Joyce drinking it hic:wine:
    We love Welsh cakes and have yet to sample Peter's but that will have to wait for another occasion as we can't make this one.

Have a great time everyone...wish we were going to be there.

Just a thought Peter,do you do mail order?:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ven

Ven Funster

We got rid of a few bottles bought on holiday (always taste nicer then) including a shocking melon liquor :Doh: We also discovered a Monbazilac wine which must be 20 years old (it's stored so not certain, how it's survived this long is a mystery frankly :Smile:).

I also have a 70 proof absinthe that I acquired somewhere but have yet had the courage to open :RollEyes:

11. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

When my granmother died many years ago we had to clear her house out, at the back of an old larder, tucked away was a wooden box, cobwebs holding it together, in it we found kilner jars filled with preserves made god know when, we also found 3 bottle of rum, 1938 still drinkable, I know I got rat-ar#ed on some.
    :drink:

12. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Send it down and I'll test it, just finished my last bottle.

• Like Like x 2