What's likely to happen?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mags52, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

Last weekend we lent our MH to middle son for a wee trip. He just got home before the snow started but by the next day when he was going to bring it back to us the weather was too bad for him to move it. The waste water tap was already frozen by the time he got home and the waste tank is half full. The fresh tanks emptied no problem. It's getting colder and colder here. All the gas is now used up and he doesn't have the hook up cable with him. What's the worst case scenario we are looking at for damage to the water system after it thaws?
    Mags

2. 656

656 Read Only Funster

If the fresh water tank is empty, and all the taps open the system should be ok. Regarding the waste water - Grey tank, there should not be any problem as it is just a holding tank. However, someone with more knowledge than me may know otherwise.

3. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Don't worry Mags.

It sounds like you have taken care of most things. As long as you have the Fresh water empty, the water pump off, and if you can leave the tap open it will be fine. I have had frozen waste tanks on our old van loads when skiing. Get your son to just leave it open and as it heats up it will gently defrost. DONT GO PUTTING ANTI FREEZE AND ALIKE in it there is no need, just let time and warm weather heel it.
    Some time's you can gt a little bit of a smell working its way back up the pipes but that is generally when you are trying to continue using it with the waste frozen, as we have had to on occasions.

So sleep well, Im sure your baby will be fine:RollEyes:

4. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

Thanks folks. I'm reassured. Can't wait for some better weather to get out and about again. Mags