Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Well a divin't na wat al the fuss in s aboot a tak proper english.Sometimes wen some of ye lot post on here a divin't na wat ya takin aboot????????

Sorry but 'Geordie' just can't whack it as a proper language.

Sounds like an old squeaky mangle most of the time. If you're going to speak Scotch then do it properly. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Treacle my man, if you were to get a pair of those baggy trousers that show half your bum.. a tea pot cover for your head in the colours of the national flag of Jamaica .. you might understand them Bro... now no dissing them....

Bob:cry::cry:

I was standing at the head of a queue in the bank a while back and there was a youth (like the one above), trousers so low down I couldn't keep my eyes of his rear! The old lady behind me spotted him as well and we both wondered what was keeping them on his skinny butt! Would they slip down before he left the bank, they didn't, but he kept having to hoist them up:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Agreed, that is just lazy.
other 'regional' words like marra (whats the matter?), summat (something) or nowt (nothing) are acceptable to most, but to miss out letters (usually a T), or in this case to change a letter, is unacceptable and unnecessary.

When we moved up to D & G, it took us a while to figure out certain words used in the local dialect. A joiner told me his hoose was the wan with the reed door! I thought perhaps it had reeded glass in it, but no it was just a red door:roflmto: Another one that sounds a bit Geordie, is "blan doon"! As in it was such a strong wind the fence was "blan doon":roflmto:

Another joiner said he could build me a workshop area, so that I could "wak roon it"!
But I think the one that really fascinates us about round here is the use of the phrase "better as" rather than "better than". A lot of locals use this and a smile comes over me everytime I hear someone say, "today is better as it was yesterday"! Or this one is better as the other one:RollEyes:
And to think that teachers in local schools must have taught this to all their pupils years ago:Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back