What's been your best or worst MH gadget? (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Yes I spoke to him at the NEC last year have tried many times

How disappointing for you... I wonder what could be wrong...

(As I now spend a lot of time in Portugal I, like you, only use my NOS 4G mobile network dongle thingy... €30 per month, as much data as I want and as fast as Usain Bolt's underpants with him in them.)

JJ :cool:

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Best - Son of Hibachi barbeque, it's great, so much better than a "normal" charcoal barbeque.

Amazon product ASIN B000V5FEJQ
Or possibly this - so cheap, doesn't get tangled as easily as other cables, saves hunting around for the right cable. I've charged an iPhone, iPad and Android phone on it all at the same time without any problems

Worst - Fiamma safari room. Came with the van, put it up once, from it's condition I reckon it had been put up only once before in the 9 year life of the van! Will be going on Ebay when I get round to it.... :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
We bought a Son of Habachi BBQ about 25 years ago - didn't realise they still made them.

One of the best charcoal BBQ's. Very compact, folds up into a carry bag. Place lumps of charcoal under the 2 cast iron grills. Raise into the vertical position. Place fire lighters in the bottom tray and ignite. The vertical position acts as a chimney and heats the charcoal up very quickly, probably 5 to 10 minutes. Open up the 2 sides and you're ready to cook. The 2 grills can be adjusted for height. When finished, close the two parts and insert the top damper. This will kill the hot embers. In the morning the remaining ash will have fallen into the bottom tray for easy disposal.

Thanks for highlighting this excellent product. Ours eventually failed after many years of service because the cast iron grills disintegrated.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Yes, I really like mine, I've had it a couple of years now. I find it gives just enough cooking time to do a BBQ for my family of 5. The 2 sides being separate is great as you can adjust the grill height for different foods on each side. Folding it up at the end burns the fat off the grills, it's pretty much self cleaning. If you only wanted to cook for 2 you could use 1 side only.

Nice and compact, only downside is it is quite heavy, but the upside is it's also quite sturdy.

Did yours come with the "snuff-out pouch"? Basically a zip up heat resistant bag you can put it in whilst it's still at full heat - zip it up and the lack of oxygen kills the fire, I find about half the charcoal is still there to use next time. The BBQ uses hardly any charcoal I find, a bag now lasts me for ages, it's very economical which must help offset the high initial purchase price.

I found the cheapest place was Ebay Germany to buy one - mine arrived in just 2 days!

Just a safety note though to anyone thinking of buying one - the snuff out pouch is great, but I then always leave it to one side of the van outside until it's fairly cool, then under the van overnight - it only gets put back in the garage the next day when it's 100% stone cold and absolutely no danger of any re-ignition or carbon monoxide being given off. Obvious I know, but I'd rather say it.......

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Yes, our Son of Hibachi BBQ came with a snuff-out pouch. Bought mine when working in the Middle East. I've only seen one other (in Spain) and that was owned by a guy who worked for the British Army in the Gulf states.

Agree, very economical on charcoal - any unburnt is retained by the grill and reused next time.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
This has been a really helpful thread, as a newbie theres a load of techie stuff out there that is very, very confusing, I just want to park up and have a holiday !
Thanks for all the tips, too late for kitchen gadgets, the distaff has been on Amazon buying stuff that collapses, sticks, folds, wtf....
Got a Benimar Mileo 243, and bought a bog standard tv from currys for 90 quid. plugged in to normal aerial we have had some great reception at sites, and just bought a long aerial lead, I've been amazed at that.

Thanks for the vote of no confidence on Cadacs , I was looking......

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We love our littl
This has been a really helpful thread, as a newbie theres a load of techie stuff out there that is very, very confusing, I just want to park up and have a holiday !
Thanks for all the tips, too late for kitchen gadgets, the distaff has been on Amazon buying stuff that collapses, sticks, folds, wtf....
Got a Benimar Mileo 243, and bought a bog standard tv from currys for 90 quid. plugged in to normal aerial we have had some great reception at sites, and just bought a long aerial lead, I've been amazed at that.

Thanks for the vote of no confidence on Cadacs , I was looking......
e cadac!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
On our new Rapido it would currently be gasflo ( no bottle swapping needed and fill up at petrol stations) and solar panels And inverter. Silver screens too. They are wonderful.

Worst.....see my other post!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Amazing that the Must Have gadget from only a few years ago wins hands down as the worst buy.

Cadac make wonderful bird tables :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have had another read, remoska and cadac and drive away awning in my top ten of best buys, along with battery master and solar. The fold up stool is the most used item so must be the very best.
Have aso added a battery operated mouse scarer, seems to be effective.

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
Best Buys- Duvaley sleeping bags, Son of Hibachi, APRR tag, drive away awning, Small George Forman grill, Huawei 5573 mifi, ACSI memberships
Worst Buy - Wifi extending ornament, crappy Dashed-cam (must buy good one).

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Best buy pop up quest room and double gas hob uses small gas canisters in a handy carry box .
Worst buy drive a away awning .

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I like simple things. So, best purchase is a Water Block (made in Italy). It clips onto the fresh water inlet and is vented. I use a short length of food grade hose pipe connected to a flat hose. I know there are other products which do the same job but this one is so simple and will connect to most inlets.

View attachment 123749
My second best is an adaptor with a 3 pin outlet so I can plug in a 240v circuit tester. I can then test the EHU bollard to see if anything is working before setting up camp.

View attachment 123759
Like that adaptor Borr, never seen one before, (y) could ya let on where ya got it from. Thanks in anticipation.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Best
SANEF TAG
Air Assisted Suspension
Garmin Camper Sat Nav
Nikon binoculars

Worst
Folding chairs, great for the garden but too bulky and heavy for m/h
Wind breaks, too much bother

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
iBoost wouldn't be without it especially on the continent.. it acts as a modem for all our IT stuff and we pay just for one access to the internet..we love it. Cadac BBQ love this too!! Gaslow refillable for touring in Europe...sooo easy...mifi is good if for wild camping for where the site has no wifi....oh yes, the French SANF and the Spanish one (ViaT) as well these are whizzy..no queueing at pay kiosks.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Best gadgets: rear view/reversing camera, clipped onto rear view mirror coupled with my mirror mounted camera that gives wide view when joining French Autoroutes.
Also solar panel and battery master that keeps batteries charged summer and winter.
Garmin Sat Nav.

Worst buy: Fancy canvass fold up chairs that weigh a ton and bulky.

123.JPG

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
I'm cheap ! so a fold up colander ( must have colour!!)and a draining tray ! For bathroom Decathlon microfibres towels and loo sachets rather than fluid!
Hubbie says his is reversing camera and La fuma chairs!View attachment 123543View attachment 123544

What's yours Robert? Levellers?
Like the drainer thingy. Bought a fold away colander by mistake thinking it was a bowl, oh how it leaked, doh! Deffo the rear view/reversing cam, especially when there is no rear window. Worst thing has been the satnav. Should have lashed out a bit more for the appropriate one for moho/trucks. Took us all round the houses in France. Ended up using the road map...phew!

May 16, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
VW T4 Compass Calypso
Exp
Since 2007
Originally posted about CCTV on this thread, so this post is an update to one of my best gadgets yet!

Had a lovely weekend at Southwold and Dunwich this weekend just gone, but one thing un-nerved us a bit.

Sitting in the Beach Road car-park, the missus was busy preparing a lovely evening meal, when one of the dogs started to sniff excitedly by the vent at the bottom of the Hab-door.
I glanced up at the CCTV and saw a lone male, trying his hardest to peep through the windows. We were totally 'blacked out' and had doors locked but none-the-less was not expecting that.

He walked around, tried to have a good sneaky peek, then got back into his Black Insignia. A few minutes later , I got shoes on and burst out the back door with a 'RFB' torch, and suitable 'tool' just in case.

He drove off.

It just goes to show, when you are sitting cosy inside, there are pervert types lurking about outside.

Sorry about quality of pic, I just snapped a shot of the playback screen on my phone, but it gives you an idea....

Be safe funsters!!!

IMG_5728.PNG

Reactions: JJ

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Worst has got to be the cheap crap ...well maybe not so cheap but crap all the same clothes pegs. Just spring them and they go...PING:LOL:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Best in no particular order
Solar, gasit, inverter, 3 pound foldable chairs that go down to 8 inches and easily fit into a bag, maps.me, chinese satnav, external lockable safe, motorhome weighing machine, Icelandic real sheepskin rugs/seat covers.

Worst
fiamma safari room, Driveaway awning, inflateable canoe, anything heavy, binoculars.

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
Originally posted about CCTV on this thread, so this post is an update to one of my best gadgets yet!

Had a lovely weekend at Southwold and Dunwich this weekend just gone, but one thing un-nerved us a bit.

Sitting in the Beach Road car-park, the missus was busy preparing a lovely evening meal, when one of the dogs started to sniff excitedly by the vent at the bottom of the Hab-door.
I glanced up at the CCTV and saw a lone male, trying his hardest to peep through the windows. We were totally 'blacked out' and had doors locked but none-the-less was not expecting that.

He walked around, tried to have a good sneaky peek, then got back into his Black Insignia. A few minutes later , I got shoes on and burst out the back door with a 'RFB' torch, and suitable 'tool' just in case.

He drove off.

It just goes to show, when you are sitting cosy inside, there are pervert types lurking about outside.

Sorry about quality of pic, I just snapped a shot of the playback screen on my phone, but it gives you an idea....

Be safe funsters!!!

View attachment 153752
Have to say found the images a teensy bit spooky (possum). I've had a look online for security cams but just coming up with dash/rear view versions. Can I ask where you got yours? Preferably with a Dixon of Dock Green voice that when activated says something like "Evenin' all" or "ello ello ello, wots all dis then". OK, just an ordinary one then. Hopefully our pooch might alert us, but that would depend on the mood she was in.
Best buys. Rear view and dash cams. Sanef tag. Pull out awning

Worst. Folding chairs/loungers, which are very comfy by weigh far too much

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back