Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We've owned our Monaco Safari Trek for nearly 3 years and love it. There is lots of space internally, a great layout with fixed bed, lots of locker space, solar panels for when off grid, etc, etc. But With retirement looming we have been planning lots of fabulous trips home and abroad, including skiing and keep wondering whether, due to the size, we would be restricted on visiting some of the places we would like to adventure too? The bus isn't huge at 8m long but as an American rv it is slightly wider at 2.4m and definitely taller at 3.2m. We've only been excluded from a handful of campsites in the past and only because the approach roads were inaccessible for our vehicle but it has meant a re-think and missing out which has got us thinking about whether changing would be a good idea?

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Hi Loren and Alan,
Our van is W:2.32, H:2.93 and L: 7.49 + our scooter rack = 8:00. Yours is not much wider (0.08), or any longer, and is only 0.3 higher, however, because of the way your bed works, the difference you have regarding internal space is incredible. I assume if you were to change you would go for a A class. The only ones that I think would give you acceptable internal space (given what you're used) to would be a rear lounge with drop down bed, e.g. Frankia 740i plus, Hymer Duomobil - you certainly would get better mpg and lower tolls but they're loads of dosh! There have only been 2 sites where we have been unable to get to in our van and that has been because of the low rear overhang, however we've since had rear suspension lift installed and haven't had a problem since. You have to weigh up the cost of changing and the compromises of a different configuration against the restrictions you have experienced and only you and Alan can decide if it's worth it. NEC show is coming up - we're going on 21st Feb. Might be well worth a visit so you can see the restrictions regarding internal space compared to your van. Personally I think if I had got used to the space you have I would be extremely reluctant to change to something smaller. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Mark & Ann
Thanks for your advice, as seasoned travellers it's invaluable. Good idea about the NEC show, I'll check the calendar to see if we can go, maybe meet up too?
We've gone through so many if's, buts and maybes and think it's because we love the bus so much that we are finding it so difficult. I'll let you know about the NEC.
Loren

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I cannot get much idea what you want.:D2Me I would swap for a smaller van :) We all use vans different and times/needs change,gone from 2 berth to 4 to 6 back 4 and 2 now find myself in a 4 A class for 2 of us
Terry

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
You don't have to decide right now, do you? Why not take your bus on a few trips and see how it goes? That would inform your choice a bit better.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
A lot of the ski resorts we have visited are easily accessible for coaches ( day ski trip or holiday drop-off).

Unless you plan to ski in the main ski holiday weeks when resorts and car parks are rammed I wouldn't think you would have a problem with your current van.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
You don't have to decide right now, do you? Why not take your bus on a few trips and see how it goes? That would inform your choice a bit better.
That's a good idea. We've used it loads but mainly uk and having the space inside on cold, dark, miserably nights, curling up with a DVD and drink or two is great but when in Europe and warm balmy nights we enjoy being outside. If we planned a 2/3 month trip in Europe it would really answer our questions. Thanks @Cat53

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I cannot get much idea what you want.:D2Me I would swap for a smaller van :) We all use vans different and times/needs change,gone from 2 berth to 4 to 6 back 4 and 2 now find myself in a 4 A class for 2 of us
Terry
We keep changing our mind on what we want/need. Probably over bunking it now too :madder::madder::madder:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Loren, the only way is to find what you think you want and go for it :D once you have it / tried it, then you will know if it's the right decision :D2
Terry

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We are in the same process and have managed to scale down from a 36ft Damon to an Autotrail Cheyenne tag fixed twin beds
We found believe it or not the Cheyenne has more loungability with two settees than the RV with just the one, layout is far more important than size
Better MPG, easy to site as it seems far more exceptable than the RV
I think it was SuperMike who downsized then went back up again it doesn't suite everyone.
We hung on to the RV, bought the Autotrail and took 2 seasons to decide
G

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Cant talk about motorhomes as we are newbies on our first one. :)

I do however have experience of buying a number of boats (yachts and motorboats) and know from experience that even though we spent months deciding, viewing, making lists, attending shows and spending time aboard it was the things we took for granted on a 42ft yacht that became real issues and disappointments when we bought a 38ft motorboat. Thats not to say we hated the motorboat as it gave us a different set of benefits but my point is that sometimes we don't always recognise the things we subconsciously value when writing our next 'wish list'.

If you think downsizing is an option then I would seriously recommend hiring a smaller motorhome and going away for a week in it. Spending time living in (rather than viewing) the space would certainly allow you to clarify the features and benefits that you currently enjoy and identify the ones that you are unable to compromise upon in a smaller vehicle, alongside giving you the opportunity to recognise and understand the features and benefits a smaller vehicle could offer you.

Whatever you choose, I hope retirement enables you to enjoy all of your dreams that working life will have forced you to put onto the back burner. (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You van is probably smaller than a lot of the Euro Liners like Concorde, Morello etc, just a tiny bit more on the width most Euro vans are 2.2 - 2.35m. May have a bit of a problem getting into some of the smaller municipal sites otherwise I think you will be fine.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks everyone for replies as it does make you consider things we haven't thought of. @cornish boy I like the idea of hiring something smaller and road testing for a week as it would give us a really good idea of whether it would work for us.

@Lenny HB you are right that our bus isnt as big as some of the euro liners but @Geo is right that the perception of RV with some sites makes it seem unacceptable.

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
After over 45 years of caravans and 3 different motorhomes and an RV I think you would regret selling the TREK as I do not believe anything else comes close (and mine is an old one!!). Considering the 100s of sites around where you are welcome, and the TREKs ability to REALLY go off grid, I would keep it, enjoy it and bu**er those who don't welcome you!!

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
After over 45 years of caravans and 3 different motorhomes and an RV I think you would regret selling the TREK as I do not believe anything else comes close (and mine is an old one!!). Considering the 100s of sites around where you are welcome, and the TREKs ability to REALLY go off grid, I would keep it, enjoy it and bu**er those who don't welcome you!!
Thanks. The Treks are a fabulous layout and really hard to beat. Have you been through the mountains with yours? We want to go skiing and wondered how they handle on the long hills

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
The TREK is never fast on long draggy banks but neither is any 2.5 to 3 litre eurobox. I have done quite a few miles in Wales on snow and ice, always towing and near max weight, in the TREK and the previous Hymer and (on any slippery surface) I have always found rear wheel drive, especially twin wheels, far superior to FWD. Also I do not think you would be happy with either the space or payload (or cassette!!!!!!) of a euro. When the time comes for us to change it will be because of medical reasons stopping me driving the TREK and it will have to be a very large 4 wheel caravan with a 'proper' 4x4 - I have looked and am not looking forward to that day.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
We've owned our Monaco Safari Trek for nearly 3 years and love it.
There is lots of space internally, a great layout with fixed bed, lots of locker space, solar panels for when off grid, etc, etc. We've only been excluded from a handful of campsites in the past and only because the approach roads were inaccessible for our vehicle but it has meant a re-think and missing out which has got us thinking about whether changing would be a good idea?

I think you are answering you own question,(y):)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We are 8.5 metres 2.38 wide and 3.2 tall, I could not imagine going smaller than 8 metres and get ours wherever we want it, yes it's tight sometimes but as long as you are confident enough driving it usually works out OK, if you fancy a bit of snow and grass fields you might miss the RWD if you went for FIAT.

Martin

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We are as wide as you and at only 27ft long we don't have an issue that a bit of planning can't resolve. Safari Treks are superb vans, if you sell her, no matter what you buy, you'll miss it.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We are as wide as you and at only 27ft long we don't have an issue that a bit of planning can't resolve. Safari Treks are superb vans, if you sell her, no matter what you buy, you'll miss it.
Thanks Jim and everyone else. The more I've read through this post, the more I appreciate what we have and what I would miss and decided we're going to keep her and not care about the odd place we can't get to! As always great help and advice.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Thanks Jim and everyone else. The more I've read through this post, the more I appreciate what we have and what I would miss and decided we're going to keep her and not care about the odd place we can't get to! As always great help and advice.
You know it makes sense! A lovely RV is the Trek, and extremely well screwed together.

Craig

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We reluctantly sold our Winnebago Brave a few months ago. It was only 32ft long but was the wide body version (8'6" or 2.59 metres), so wider than a refrigerated artic! (
We loved the space, it seated 10 and slept 6 in comfort, but, we don't like planning trips and wanted to travel to more inaccessible places than the Winny would allow, so downgraded to a smaller, 7m motorhome.
Of course, we miss the space and so will you if you sell it.
If you can still get to all the places you want and are prepared to plan a little sometimes, I would keep the Trek.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If you can afford the fuel then keep it , as you can get a load of diesel fro the price of a smaller one that is not quite as spacious. Depends on you licence as well in the future. Some of those are C and some people have never actually checked. The lord of the Road feeling must be like driving a full sized coach .

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
If you can afford the fuel then keep it , as you can get a load of diesel fro the price of a smaller one that is not quite as spacious. Depends on you licence as well in the future. Some of those are C and some people have never actually checked. The lord of the Road feeling must be like driving a full sized coach .
It has an LPG conversion so it's ok really. We get around 10 miles to the gallon which sound scared but our local LPG station is 41.9p per litre at the moment so we're happy with that. We have decided to keep it and no licence problems for a few years either

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
glad your keeping it. its a loverly van , as we saw at chester.
ours is longer than yours, and we had a great time in europe last year.
got in every aire and site we picked.
we used all the aires france book, just picked the ones with a coach symbol and like i said no problems.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If I were you I'd stick with it you love it and it not much bigger than a lot of A class vans we have a 7.2 X 2.2 X 2.8h hymer so not a lot smaller and tow a 4.5 car trailer haven't experienced any problems in Europe so far or UK.
Stick with it you know it's right(y)(y)(y)(y)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
It really depends where you want to go. We've had vans over 8M and find its the width that is the restrictive factor. Narrow lanes, trees and buildings that are close to roads can all be issues in wider vans. We've struggled in Cornwall and some Scottish islands and even some narrow lanes through roadworks where waggons have been very threatening.
But generally the run of the mill stuff is fine in wider vans.
We now have a 6.3m PVC and love the ease in which we can get into places that we used to struggle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back