LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Not used our M-Home (Properly, only for emergency sleep in`s while the place is being done up) for three months.. :(

By the look`s of things it will be the Spring before we can plan a trip..

Is it worth hanging onto it...... or would you get rid of and buy another when you were able to get away.. ??

The First MOT is due a week ago, and I have even put it on a SORN..

I still have to pay for the Internet through the dish, even though we don`t use it at the moment.. If I cancel and then reinstate when we get mobile we wont get the package we get now... (Unlimited use home and abroad).. for the monthly fee we are paying now..

Decisions... :rolleyes:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If you did get rid of it would you be able to buy another, which is suitable, quickly when you can get away or would you possibly have to wait and miss out on trips in the meantime?

We've had 2 or 3 winters where circumstances meant we were not able to get away as often as we had planned but we kept the van taxed &c so we could go when possible. That's what I would also do in future.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Spring not that far away..its a nice van, unless you really fancy changing it I would keep it. Surely the internet contract seperate to the van? so if you do decide to sell, remove the dish and fit on new van, won't that keep contract going?

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Make time for yourself & have one or two breaks, the work will still be there. Is that a possible option? Supposed to be having fun(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Im in the keep it camp if your happy with motorhome you have now its always a gamble what you will get next.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Keep it, it's a nice one. Think you will regret it if you sold it. The winter will soon pass and you will be out enjoying it again. I will let you know how quick the winter is going from Spain or Portugal. (y)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Now then Mr Old Mo, I really do think this is one of your silliest ideas. You gotta keep it, she is a beautiful van (unless you were planning a change anyway).

You and Judy might just get sick of all the mess during the winter and say 'right sod it, let's get away for the weekend/week/month. Also, is the bathroom and kitchen likely to be ripped out in the house? Will the power be off during the alterations? There will be a nice warm fully functioning van for you to move in to if any of the former is happening.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
If it's the right layout for the three of you and you are comfortable whilst you are travelling best to keep it, if not sell it and replace with new van when you have the time to use it You also could look at hiring it out Mo if it wasn't to much hassle xxx Kate

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Why not ditch the broadband you have at home and use the sat feed in the house.. That would deal with that.. In fact it might be worth considering it as a permanent thing.

As for selling and buying again..

Average sale time is at least 6 weeks ( unless you are gonna more or less give the thing away ) and at this time of year.. Well lets say it is not an ideal time to sell a motorhome.
It is now October. Lets say you sell it about mid November..
lets further say you are not gonna use the van until perhaps March

Soooo.. To sell on, buy again, rekit up etec etc etc is proly gonna cost in total about £15k ( loss on the van plus van prices have been rising of late so you can expect to pay more to replace it with something similar plus all the stuff you want such as solar, sat etc etc

Now we all know you are a multi billionaire MO ( :whistle: ;) ) but leaving the dosh aside, just sorting it all is usually a reet pain in the gluteus maximus !

Just disconnect the batteries, put a massive chain round the axle and secure it to a fixed point, and mothball her until spring ...
Fiscally and problematically you know it makes sense mate (y)

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'd keep it, no question. Our friends sold theirs 6 months ago because they figured they weren't using it enough and guess what? They are going up to the NEC show this month with a view to buying another!

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Not used our M-Home (Properly, only for emergency sleep in`s while the place is being done up) for three months.. :(

By the look`s of things it will be the Spring before we can plan a trip..

Is it worth hanging onto it...... or would you get rid of and buy another when you were able to get away.. ??

The First MOT is due a week ago, and I have even put it on a SORN..

I still have to pay for the Internet through the dish, even though we don`t use it at the moment.. If I cancel and then reinstate when we get mobile we wont get the package we get now... (Unlimited use home and abroad).. for the monthly fee we are paying now..

Decisions... :rolleyes:

Have you still got the Mini JCB.........:D

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
keep it and use it as a 'man cave' it'll be spring soon enough, unless....
you want to swap it for my wee rosa? as if..:ROFLMAO:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Oh you fools! No, not Mo. You lot for responding!:doh: Talk about being suckered in!:doh:

However, I do understand why you would. Mo's jokes are never normally as good as this one so you didn't recognise as such!:clap2::rofl::notworthy2:

Mo, don't be daft. You'll regret it if you do. Keep the bus. Live in it and "SORN" the hoose!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mo if ou are happy with the van keep it -if not then sell it -I think John @Jaws hit the nail on the head with ditch the landline and use the van connection (y)-NOW ask yourself do you want a new van ????????:LOL:
terry

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Good Morning Sir Old Mo, what everyone else has said unless you don't like it and were planning to change, we use ours very little some winters but she's not going anywhere.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Morning Mo......just take a look at your signature:):):)....seems a bit mad to me when you've got all the building work going on at home, you might need to escape for a few days,winter or not...but what do I know?:cool:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just think of the tyre kicking idiots you would have round

Now get back to your building work, you don't need the extra hassle right now

Unless of course you want the excuse to change, then only you can decide :)(y)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I think Mo must have had a restless night and been laying awake thinking too much. Not one of your better ideas, our van often sits for a few months without going very far due to other commitments but it is there when we want it and unless there was a long term problem preventing us using it we wouldn't dream of parting with it.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
:) ALL OF THE ABOVE MO.
As you know our circumstances very similiar to yours but for different reasons and have had similiar thoughts, but they soon passed.
You would regret it.............now be a good Old Sir Mo and b***er of back to work and let Judy plan you a nice surpise .;)
LIFE ........CAN ONLY GET BETTER:D

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
remember to move it to avoid flat spots on tyres....

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Mo, mo, mo, Methinks you have run out of white wine of the correct type. The answer is simple you pack the basics in the Motorhome, Tax and MOT it. Tell the builders they have a fortnight to finish the work while you are away and head for the ferry. Head south until the right white wine ( say that after a few glasses ) is available then take a couple of days to savour it to make sure it is the right one before loading to the max weight and then taking a gentle drive back to the ferry and home to check on the builders.
Having found the right Motorhome you need to keep it for a few years - unless of course you have a better one in mind.!!!!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If you intend to travel again in the spring , winterise and keep it, you will lose far more money selling and buying again than the cost of your internet package.
(y)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
come on peoples you should knowq by now sir old mo has to be constantly changing everything around him, house care bike, MH, wife, err well maybe no who else would have him.
Mo it is a mancave someplace to chill even when parked up why sell, does not make sense. You waited long enough for this one, or is there something with more bling on the horizon, or do the dealers have a new dollybird receptionist???????????????????????????????????????????

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Selling and then buying is far more trouble than just keeping it. Worse you may get into "can't be bothered mode" if you do sell.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you sell and then buy again you could end up having all the teething problems some get with new vans, unless you want to change anyway.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Got to keep it!

We are also involved with a house move that has put everything else on hold, but are looking forward to using the M/H when things settle down.

You will be glad of the chance to get away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back