What were the deciding factors in your M/H purchase ? (1 Viewer)

Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
What were the deciding factors in the purchase of your current/past Motorhome? Was it the price, layout, particular make, or model, reliability, winterised, number of berths, or a combination of a couple of the mentioned factors? We are only on our first Motorhome, only been M/Homers nearly 3 years. Ours is an Elddis Autoquest 130. ( 60' REG ) I know it's only a basic starter Motorhome, but we fell in love with it. We bought it at Todds in Preston in December 2012, Have been to France 3 times, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland. I had a Solar Panel, and Refillable Gas Bottles fitted by Dave Newell, and an Awning, Cruise Control, TV Arial, Cobra Alarm, and Reversing Camera fitted by Todds, at the time of Purchase. What were your deciding factors?
BillyS (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This is our first.

We wanted used so not to loose too much if we made the wrong choice, large garage for bikes and associated man toys, rear wheel drive with twin wheels for not getting stuck, A class so it doesn't show its age, and finally quality build so it doesn't fall apart, I suppose the layout came a bit secondary other than it is partly influenced by having the garage so the bed would be at the back whatever the lounge is bar version but two sofas would work as well.

Three and a half years on and it will take some replacing.

Martin

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Price, we had been looking for awhile when we saw our van the layout was very close to what we wanted and at a good price. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Fixed bed essential for me, combi boiler, no more than 6 metres, plenty of storage and a loo that could comfortably be sat on with the door closed!!!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Fixed bed,storage,payload and ability to tow,space for two doggies.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
6m with good kitchen and loo, narrow enough for Devon lanes and light and airy inside - so no dark shiny wood! Also something that isn't like a caravan inside where you shut yourself away from the world. This led us to a PVC where we can sit looking out with the side door open and watch the world go by. A fixed bed wasn't a priority as with 6m it would have meant too small a living space but our beds make up in moments so this isn't a hardship. We have added a back box for stowage of folding chairs etc.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Island bed, proper door to separate the front from the bedroom, decent sized toilet/shower room, Alde heating. OK so the last one wasn't an essential until we ended up with it on this one but it will be absolutely vital on any vans we buy from now on.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
ME.......seriously..this was our 3rd van so needed length, bunks and a reasonable garage.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I wanted all the usual stuff, large garage/ drop down bed/ decent shower/ large water and waste tanks/ alko chassis with air suspension and many what I consider essential items,
So I took the wife to view one on my short list and after being in it for 2 mins she became excited o_O by a full height pull out larder(n)
No matter what I said she was determined that this MH was the one!
So that's what we have!:cry: Any thing for a easy life(y)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Bed, length, budget, dealership!
Wasn't bothered about make or model, not even if it was A Class, Coachbuilt, or PVC!!!
Four months in, currently on a Britstops mini tour, very happy :).

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Island bed, 4 belted seats, decent sized fridge freezer. cruise control and price. I thought we would have to get a tag axle but we found a 4 legger with transverse island bed. It is also already plated at 4 tonnes. So that seemed to tick all the boxes.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We wanted a rear lounge that could be a permanent bed (so needed option for seating at the front) and wanted a PVC.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Good washroom and four travelling seats (daughter still wants to come as often as she can so we need the extra seatbelts)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I looked very sad sitting in a garden as it only moved for 2 weeks a year to go to France, I used to go passed it going to work and one day a For sale notice popped up. I felt sorry for her and the rest is mileage.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
That the base vehicle was big enough length wise to fit everything in we wanted. And high enough after all the insulation in the floor and ceiling was put in . As we wanted a fully winterised van to use all year round. As for everything else inside and out cos Ralph's done it , it's just what we wanted. Exactly.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/
We are looking forward to our first long trip out , once "Pug" is finished. The Hebredian Islands, end of September. Ralph needs a nice long rest . So a couple of weeks+ up there , will do the trick.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I wanted an island bed so did the missus ,after that we wanted separate toilet and shower , we have dropped the deposit on a rapido 9000dfh , we spent about a year looking around and trying different layouts before we decided on our choice

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Last van, wanted at least 4 seatbelts, decent storage max 3.5Ton, oven and grill. You and me space. Went out to buy a used PVC came back with a new escape 686 purchased just before VAT went back up. Had solar, awning, bike rack and gaslow fitted, loved the van, but after 5+ years John really wanted to take a motorbike, and inside, not on a rack or trailer, so now we have 4 seatbelts, 4 berth, large garage, Still sometimes hanker after our 'old' van, but getting used to this one toilet/shower was essential in both.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had to be German built (bad experiences with UK caravans), fixed bed, but not transverse over garage, fixed table, fully winterised & garage, Fiat/Al-Ko base, Auto box. Budget as much as I could persuade the boss to let me spend.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Base vehicle, two berth, kitchen layout, bathroom size, storage, no garage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back