What weight could/should I up rate to?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Billy23, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

This is my plate off my Transit 2.4 TD twin wheel MH, I want to increase the max weight from 3.5 ton. Can somebody let me know what I can go to please. image.jpeg

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Have a look here...
    http://www.svtech.co.uk/vehicles/motorhomes/

You first need to establish what the technical weight can be, based on chassis, tyres etc
    Sometimes it's not possible at all... There should be a form somewhere on the website, fill in and send off then you will get an answer of what is possible...

• Like Like x 1
  3. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

@Billy23 I have exactly the same Ford Tranny as you and sv tech uprated mine to 3850kg.
    Since then I have had air assisted suspension put on the rear so I don't know if that would allow me to increase it.
    Dave.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Scotties

Scotties Funster Life Member

You will not get a upgrade on either axle, just the total up to max 4050

5. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

I do understand that this may be a daft question: if neither of the axles can carry more, how does one get the motorhome to have a greater carrying weight?

6. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

spot on.....you don't! axle capacity trumps....

but ford rear @ 2250? I seem to remember? better then Fiat @ 2000. unless you go for Maxi @ 2400

7. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Sooooo, my MH at the moment is registered at a max weight of 3.5 ton, does that mean that my axels, can carry the extra weight to take the total weight to say 4.25 as I thought my twin wheeled tranny was a 4.5 chassis. But of course I may be wrong.

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Get on the svtech site, let the pros advise you rather then the ramblings of FUNsters.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

If you look at the Gross vehicle weight you will notice it is quite a bit less than the sum of the axle weights. Although the gvw can be upgraded in most cases, the individual axle weights remain the same and cannot be increased or exceeded. The train weight also doesn't increase with an upgrade to the gvw so any increase in gvw comes off the weight you can tow.

10. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Thanks @hilldweller problem is it is Spanish registered, so I was looking for a few pointers to get a few ideas of the sort of weight I should aim for. I need more as the MH come in at 3t with most of the gear we take but by the time I put in the "extras" and the 2 of us, it's tight, so I thought if I am going to up rate would 3800 be enough or perhaps while I am doing it go for the full monty ......whatever that is.

11. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

I used SVTech to work out my options and was able to increase GVW from 3650Kg to 3850Kg and uprate rear axle from 2000Kg to 2240Kg by adding air suspension and higher rated tyres.

12. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Ah, so 03 and C8 on the picture above, are the carrying capacity so if I add them together I get the total that it can be up rated to =4.050. If that is correct then by George I think I have got it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Ah, I can help you with that one. It involves dancing on stage with some mates in front of a room full of drunken wimmins and then ripping your clothes off. (y)
    Hope that helps :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I think your Transit can be uprated to 3850kg as it stands but the max axle weight capacities will stay as they are. We had a twin rear wheel transit (2006 model) a few years back and at the time I remember enquiring about uprating and believe this was the figure I was given. I'm not sure if you'll need to fit air assisted suspension though -we already had it.

Some info here about the process - you don't have to ues SVtech.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...one-done-it-themselves-not-via-svtech.108656/

• Like Like x 2
  15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

NO!

There is always an allowance for uneven loading so you won't be able to go up to 4.050! Most I think you'll get at present is 3850kg.

• Like Like x 1
  16. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I doubt that matters, give them the facts they'll get ot more likely have the data. It's not rocket science, what will the wheel/tyre stand, what will the axle stand ? They know these things.

They did ours, I even visited them, just a bunch of engineers in a small unit near Preston.

• Like Like x 1
  17. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

@Billy23 When I had mine uprated to 3850 the axle weights stayed the same which on yours will be 1600 kg front and 2450 kg rear so you still have to be careful not to exceed the axle limits and that is easy to do if you start hanging things off the back of your motorhome.
    Where is that vin plated located, is it under the bonnet or on the door pillar? On my motorhome the one under the bonnet had 3850 on it and the one on the pillar had 3500, a lot of motorhome builders down rate them to 3500 for obvious reasons.
    Has someone has said, talk to the experts.

18. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

The plate in the picture is on the door post, I do have another plate but that is from Rimor. I figure the one on the door plate is the important one as it is from Ford. From the sounds of it I should expect to up rate to (as you suggested) 3850. I have a company here in Spain that will do it and the cost is 131 Euros, the reason for the OP was to find out what sort of weight I should expect to get and if it was say..well you could go up to 4050 but it would be better to stay at 3850 then I would have asked them to rate it at 3850. But as it seems that I cannot go above 3850, then that is exactly the answer to my OP.

Thank you all for your posts and of course you @daveandsan (y)

• Like Like x 1
  19. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

SPANISH REGISTERED.... I think that may open a fresh can of worms..
    You should have mentioned that at the start,, :)

Also check where you stand with license..

20. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Normally the motorhome builder's plate replaces that of the base vehicle manufacturer. So I would expect the Rimor plate to be the current 'official' one.

• Like Like x 2