What Wattage Coffee Machine Can I Use In The Moho?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Mr Mousy, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Mr Mousy

Mr Mousy Funster Life Member

It is time to buy a pod type coffee machine to go into our new kitchen at home, I would like to buy one we can use in the moho as well.

Having had a look through old threads I can see lots of info on amps, watts etc but it makes no sense to me!

So my question is 'what wattage coffee machine can I use in the moho when not on hook up?'
    Armed with the answer I will start my search for a Nespresso/Senso type machine.

We have 2 x 110 leisure batteries supplying a pure sine 1500w inverter.
    We have a 100w solar panel.
    An Efoy Comfort 140 system.

I guess the machine will only be used for two cups at any one time as Mrs Mousy doesn't drink coffee.

In anticipation of some suggestions.....thank you.

IMG_1513[1].JPG Efoy 140.jpg

2. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Simple answer is don't use more than 1/2 your inverter as start up values can be twice normal running consumption.. bear in mind other items you are likely to run off the inverter at the same time..

Someone will no doubt tell you how long the solar will take to replace the power the machine uses in a minute

3. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

We looked into this a little while ago, best pod machine we came up with was the Delonghi EN520, 1300 watt, neat, compact and often on special offer.

Till we get the inverter sorted sticking with the Aeropress, hand grinder and Aerolatte, I like fresh ground beans.

Oh yes, no idea how long your batteries would last but the eFoy has pretty much covered all the bases anyway I would have thought.

• Like Like x 1
  4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

We use the Nespresso 1200 watts from memory, it's on 2Kw pure sine you should be fine on 1500watts and does'nt take much power as the heat cycles are very short, 5ah tops so should put it back in a couple of hours sun willing.

Martin

• Like Like x 2
  5. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

I can see you will have any problems you have some good kit, but as said just watch nothing else is on.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Just want to confirm you've covered all aspects. Has Mrs M signed off (in triplicate in front of witnesses) the purchase and use of said appliance?:whistle:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I wonder how Carthago do it as they offer a built in one with inverter but its priced @ 1200 euros :(

• Like Like x 1
  8. funflair

Dont know about the Euro price list but £ prices the inverter is £1260 for 1800 watts and the Nespresso machine is £230.

EDIT Euro prices Inverter 1800 watts 1465 Euro and Nespresso machine 270 Euro.

Prices taken from 2015 price list Chic models.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  9. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Ah OK! So its the inverter that costs the money...thanks:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Madwife

Madwife Deleted User

We have a Nespresso machine and it only cost €70. It's the same as came originally with the mh and fits the space exactly. Never used it off hookup so can't help with owner used etc. it makes nice coffee!

Kath

• Like Like x 3
  11. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Hi Martin, we were so impressed with our Nespesso coffee maker at home we have just duplicated it with the slimmer model for the MoHo, that way we just grab the capsules and away we go.

[​IMG]

It pulls a maximum load of 1260 Watts and works fine on our 1700 watt PS Wave inverter

• Like Like x 3
  12. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Mrs C forgot to pack the capsules for our Nespresso machine and tbe compatible ones they sell in France taste like mud

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. funflair

Tried quite a few compatible ones and keep going back to "Nespresso".

14. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Now that is worth knowing, someone posted on here how the ones in France can be purchased for a fraction of the price; well if they taste like Mud I'm not surprised.

Anyone else got input on this subject, as then I'll know to pack enough coffee for the entire trip.....cheers. .......... Griff

15. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Griff, take the originals for goodness sake. We tried just about every look-a-like brand we could find in Europe and nothing compared. Also the machine did not get on with a lot of the so called compatible pods.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Mr Mousy

Mr Mousy Funster Life Member

A further question for all you electricians...

Just bought a new Nespresso coffee machine it is 1260w.
    The inverter (pure sine) is 1500w continuous and 3000w peak.
    The inverter 'bleeps' when I make a cuppa.
    Why and can I use the coffee machine without knackering either the inverter or the batteries?
    Thanks Martin

17. funflair

Hi Martin

It might be worth looking at the battery voltage when the machine is working as the "bleep" could be low voltage alarm, check the voltage at the batteries and at the inverter terminals to check for excessive cable voltage drop.

Ours used to bring up the low voltage alarm until I shortened the supply cables to the inverter.

How thick and long are your cables?

I dont think you are going to do the Inverter any harm and the batteries depends on answers to above, what batteries do you have?

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  18. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Most likely a low battery warning. I would look at the battery voltage when the machine is started and near the end of its cycle. If you heavily discharge the batteries without promptly recharging them yes they will not last as long.

EDIT still typing while Martin was posting so yes we concur (y)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

Pack for entire trip, we've tried some of the others, even the M & S ones, and they are rubbish unfortunately. We actually have a locker known as the Nesspresso locker and SWMBO's biggest fear when mohoing is that this might become empty, especially the Caramelito section....:)We are hoping Amazon expands their drone delivery idea to cover nesspresso pod delivery to remote moho's as otherwise I cannot see us making 6 month trips without a Nesspresso trailer on the back.... I knew there was a reason we needed a 1.5T payload:LOL:

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

My 1300watt kettle that takes 5 mins to boil 1 litre of water will pull my battery voltage down to 12.2 at start and 11.9 by finish. This recovers almost immediately to 12 .6 and climbs higher in only minutes from the solar input. I have a 500ah bank. If your batteries amount to much less then the voltage will dip much lower