What was your lightbulb moment? (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
See there are a lot of new people joining at the moment, so just wondered - what was your 'lightbulb moment' that made you decide to buy a motorhome?

We were starting to find a caravan too much like hard work and living in France suddenly realised why most French people buy a motorhome over a caravan. All those wonderful aires, none of the caravan hassle with water, towing etc. Why didn't we do it before??? Only took us 10 years to realise....

elfish

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
london
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
Mum's birthday November 2014. My cousin asked what I was going to do... I said get a motorhome. I still don't know where exactly that came from. I didn't know anyone with one. I hadn't really sat in one before. So... I did some research, looked for what I thought I wanted & picked it up jan 13th 2015. Best decision that's come from nowhere that i've ever made! :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It was an oil leak that led us on the road to motorhome ownership. Me and Sian were travelling all over Europe skydiving, we used to park on airfields and for accommodation, we’d bungee a tarpaulin from the bull bar of our Landrover Defender to make a sort of tent and sleep there.

Sian endured this for a long time. One year we were in Spain in some very wet weather. It wasn’t that comfortable as a small river grew at our feet; so in the night we moved further and further under the Lanny.

I remember at the time, Siâns haircut was a blonde-tipped flat top :D The Landrover had a leaky front diff. When we got up, to say Siâns hair was greasy would be an understatement. The blonde tips now a shimmering oily grey-blue hue.

Next to us were our posh friends who had a Tabbert caravan (with a chandelier), they got Siân inside to wash her hair and give her breakfast, she stayed there all day refusing to come out, my friends refused to let me in till I promised to stop making Siân sleep under the Lanny. I sat on my own most of the day sulking in my little homemade tent in the rain while they laughed through the window at my attempts at trying to light my tiny stove for brews and food. I eventually agreed.

I bought a new caravan, a twin axle Swift Conquerer in Eye and towed it the few miles to Sibson airfield. Those few miles towing the caravan convinced me that I’d made a mistake. No way would I drag that thing around Europe. That very next weekend a mate at the drop zone had bought a motorhome. I loved it. The caravan never moved again and we just used it as a base when in Peterborough. The next time we were in Europe we were the proud owners of an Auto-Trail Pullman, complete with Red Indian war bonnet. We’ve been hooked on motorhome travel ever since.

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Getting out of the Car while it was absolutely peeing down to put the legs of the caravan down in a lay by in Cornwall . Then having to sleep in a freezing cold van overnight then getting up in the morning to get soaked again while putting the legs back up.

A never again moment

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
IMG_1210.JPG
It took me ages to convince ralph a caravan was better than a tent. Then even longer , that a motorhome was better than a caravan. He didn't think either were " proper camping "
But we both knew a pvc was better than a motorhome for our kind of camping. But we couldn't find one that matched our exact criteria. So Ralph built ours from scratch. Using a brand new Peugeot xlwb panel van. Hence it's name Pug.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
In 2008 we were on holiday in France with our twin axle Bailey Senator Wyoming, when we saw a tag axle Burstner Argos 747 pull on to the site.
It was like a bright land yacht driving slowly through the site and ended up on the next pitch to us.
After seeing how quickly the owners were set up, in comparison to our caravan and full awning, we decided there and then that on our return home, we would start looking at motorhomes.

We just missed out on a used Argos later that year, but for the 2009 season, we had secured a deal on a 3 month old, tag axle Bessacarr with island bed and the rest as they say, is history.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
"I saw the LIGHT!"...(First wife was not going to give in on wanting a mo/ho ? true) NO! Moving to Porty land,was quicker without a c/van,you could still sleep in a mo/ho,and you could overtake anywhere at any time,(3.5t) and tolls were cheaper,all this,plus certain speed restrictions did not apply with the mo/ho..... I felt the need,the need for speed.
Would we go back to a c/van? Yes,horses for courses,so nothings set in stone.
Tea Bag

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Belgum November in a tent the air bead went down it was blowing lol mad the tent collapse ther was a cupil with a self build ambulance
Tanepitty on us went out bought a big patent transport ambulance
Had her five years had a few difrent since we still camp frome time to time
Bill

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We had tugged for years, and had just bought a brand new Fendt, (because I love German vans). Well, what I didnt know at the time was that I was getting ill. So much so that every task was a ball breaker. We had motor movers fitted, but there was still the water to tow around, grey waste tank to empty every day..........And I seemed to be getting weaker.
And so, with a great deal of effort on my part, we hooked up and went into Cumbria for a week. Stopped off at Inglethaite Hall, in the rain. Got uncoupled, shifted the van back with the movers, started to lower the legs, and was violently sick. :( Just then, a chap with a M/H pulled up in the next spot, plugged in, saw me on my knees, and with Ali, managed to get me to my feet, and inside his MH.
Within seconds, he had a glass of brandy and a brew for me............Don't know how we would have coped without his help. He wound our van legs down, got the water, and set us up. I went to bed, and woke up late the next morning, feeling much better. Got dressed, went outside to thank my good Samaritan, but he'd gone! Anyway, got his details from the warden, and wrote to thank him for everything.
No brainer after that. Sold the Fendt, and bought an old Hymer. The docs found the problem, and operated the year after, but never again could I lift or push. It was either stick with the narrowboat alone, or forever have a MH. The downside was that our Suzuki 4x4 was redundant, and had to go as well. :(

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Ours was when the nose weight scales on the tin tent said "no".

More like it was when we were on holidays in 2011 with a family member and they wrote off their tint tent and car on the return journey when hitting a motorway bridge.....

Too much weighing, balancing and that chuffing awning:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Over many years we had a tent (only used that once), trailer tent and then onto a Pennine folding camper for the next few years. Got fed up with putting the camper together each time and not being able to use it after September each year. Decided to give caravanning a go and then bought a really cheap little caravan, then progressed on to a more modern twin axel Elddis with all mod cons. Had that three years and was glad to see the back of it because it had damp problems.

Our last caravan was a Coachman which we both loved but only had it a year when I had what I thought was a good idea to buy a motorhome (decided I couldn't face all the setting up of a caravan and all the break down after finishing each trip) so off the dealer and bought an Autotrail Navajo. Haven't looked back since.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
What we love about a MH is the feeling of being free to go where you want stay as long or as little as you want and especially in France move about so freely .
After having pup tents , frame tent,a tent trailer and pop up tents over the many years I was all tented out but still loved the freedom of camping so a motor home was the next stage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, winding down those legs in the rain, shower room not fit for purpose when it's freezing outside and campsite has 'open to the wind' showers. That's if you can find a campsite open where you need one outside April - October.

Hubby still worries occasionally about the MH at 7.4 metres, but that's still shorter than a car plus caravan!

So glad we finally realised and thanks for sharing your lightbulb moments :)

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Our final camping pre MH holiday did it for me.

A very cold and windy fortnight under canvas in the summer of 2015 in Applecross and Skye was the last straw. Simply got fed up of sleeping in thermals, socks and hat even though it was July, and worse still putting damp clothes on in the morning.

We spent most evenings sat in the land rover listening to the radio and trying to keep dry and warm.

Although I'd hankered after a MH for some time plans for getting it were brought forward by 5 years. Returned from Scotland Friday 10 July and MH ordered and deposit paid Monday 13 July. Tent etc sold the following Monday!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
After the kids had gone we realised we were touring rather than caravanning. That is a day here, two days there, etc. All that setting up and breaking camp became too much. The final straw was watching a motorhomer unplugging and driving off, I still had to unplug the water, wind up the steadies, take away the waste, unplug the electric, put everything away, reverse the car up, hitch up the van, test the electrics, stow everything in the van.........:sleep:

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We tent camped for several years in the UK - when the weather was good it was fab, but I think we only got one holiday with overall decent weather. So we were getting fed up of the almost constant dampness and having to get dressed and traipse across a wet field to use the facilities in the middle of the night and eventually gave up. Also the hour+ it took to set up and pack away weren't much fun either.

A caravan was never really on the cards - I'm familiar with them having spent many a happy teenage holiday in various parts of France - so I know how long it takes to get everything set up (though I don't think motor movers existed then - we had to push it into position if it was too tight for Dad to reverse on!) and whilst better than a tent, it just seems like a lot of hard work.

We've been talking about hiring a motorhome for a holiday in Canada for years and years.....then hubby developed a fear of flying so we looked at France. And got scared of the prices and forgot about it :unsure: Then we were driving along the A303 last year, having already saved up a fair amount towards replacing one of the cars. There seemed to be even more motorhomes on the road than normal, and I just suggested to hubby that we keep the old car and buy a motorhome instead. He liked the idea (y)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Most of my reasons have already been said ,for me it was one very wet day in the peak District ,i unhitched the caravan in the pouring rain and pushed it back only to realise to late that i had wound the jockey wheel too much and kerklunk the nose hit the deck so i wrestled with it to put the wheel back and after my one man scrum to push it in place and then wind the legs down ,get some water etc ,after i eventually had a shower i sat in the van feeling dry and comfy when this Moho turns up ,it. Had all the gizmos auto leveling etc ,i saw the couple.put on the kettle and settle down without as much a a drop of rain hitting them

I later sold my yacht and some other toys caravan included ,i also met a wonderful lady who despite never having motorhomes herself had parents who were motorhome ers .

Our lightbulb moment after looking at loads of Moho's and different layouts was at the NEC two years ago when we both walked into a rapido and sat down looked at each other and smiled we knew we had found our dream Moho ,no difference of opinion whatsoever

Also we were peed off with so called.dog friendly hotels telling us that they only accepted one dog ,we had three

We love our moho

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
An empty drive!

When I was planning my retirement years, I anticipated getting a MH but they were more expensive than anticipated, funds were lower than anticipated & colleagues persuaded me that a caravan would be a lot more affordable.

So, I did my research, got a towbar on the car & even went on a towing course [certificate & everyfink!] but when one of my naff endowments eventually paid out & I had enough to buy the caravan... I didn't.

That's when I knew.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Our lightbulb moment came when we decided to get a Caravan. We looked around and found one which suited us and would fit on the drive and cost 15k new (back in 2008). We were just about to go ahead when I realised our beloved Renault Megane Scenic wasnt heavy enough to tow the van. We decided that if we had to change the car we might as well just get a caravan with a motor and bought a Hymer 564 (1994) with the 15k we were going to spend and have never looked back. (having said that I have seen a number of Scenics since pulling large caravan but the motorhome suits our needs better)

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
I despite tents with a passion, and refuse to sleep under canvas, as I find it uncomfortable, cold and miserable. My wife is an ex scout leader, so used to love camping. My oldest pal also goes camping regularly over the summer, and extols the virtues! I succumbed, and we hired a Roller Team over half term, and I loved it. All the freedom of a tent, but with comfort, warmth and a proper lavatory! Sold!! We bought our old Kon-tiki a few weeks ago. Apart from an ongoing saga with some damp, we're loving it!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Only camping I ever did was in the CCF Cadets and TA. No aravan days.

I retired early, 30 years ago, and bought a boat, which I sailed straight out to Greece and it is still there.

I cannot say it was a lightbulb moment - more a slow candle-burn. I had gone back to work as a pilot when the Stock Market crashed in 1987 and flying over the Pyrenees and the rest of Europe I retained the memory of not seeing much of the interior as in a boat one sees the coastal areas.

After many very good years of sailing in Greece, including 70 islands, the lure of the rest of Europe started to take over.

Caravans never came into the picture for me. By then, between months on the boat, I was living in London and doing a part-time driving job all over UK. I started to do my research on MHs and some viewing over 4 years - no rush as I was working and sailing. I was soon settling onto Hymers with a garage for bikes, e.g. B644G or B649G. Then on visiting Hymer UK at Preston was shown a N+B ArtoGL (same as B644). I immediately saw a difference. Did not buy that one but then the Arto became the target.

I eventually bought one privately 7 years ago and it has proven to be the right decision. Two years later I moved to live with Basia here in Poland and she fortunately also thinks it is good and we enjoy the same sort of touring.

A couple of years ago we eventually got to the Pyrenees, after having toured UK Lakes, Yorkshire, NE Coast and Scotland. All most enjoyable.

Having read the stories on here about packing up a caravan to move on I am pleased I went straight to a MH. We can usually be on the road in 5 mins. - 3 if we do not have to wash-up. Wind in awning, collect towels - outside check, incl. Gas to 'OFF(me) inside check(she). Open satnav. Go. We are usually in one spot for 1-3 days so mobility is important.

I think the boat will go this year, because we cannot go away for long enough to use both properly and the MH takes priority now.

Sorry not a lightbulb moment, but then many others have evolved through tents, caravans etc. I am just glad I jumped straight to a MH and good quality one. Happy Days.

Geoff

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
After the kids had gone we realised we were touring rather than caravanning. That is a day here, two days there, etc. All that setting up and breaking camp became too much. The final straw was watching a motorhomer unplugging and driving off, I still had to unplug the water, wind up the steadies, take away the waste, unplug the electric, put everything away, reverse the car up, hitch up the van, test the electrics, stow everything in the van.........:sleep:
I love turning up on a site in the Motorhome and sitting outside having a cup of tea within 10 mins and then the enjoyment of watching a tugger spend the next 2 hours faffing around....:D:D

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
What a cracking idea for a thread. I was born into motorhoming in the 1960s as my father built motorhomes & pretty good ones at that. Anyway fast forward to the 80s & I took up caravanning, I was quite happy for many years. Then when I retired, I took on a wee job fitting & repairing caravan motormovers for Powrtouch (a truly horrific company to work for) but my patch was Cumbria & right up the west of Scotland. I got fed up trailing back home, only to about turn to go back to the same area the next day, so I bought a wee Mazda Bongo to camp overnight. I loved the freedom it gave me, Hazel & the dogs loved coming with me too. Job done, it was over to properly motorhoming & we've never looked back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back