Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Approx £34/week as a 16 year old first year apprentice turner. Started at the technical training centre on August 3rd 1981.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
wow.. my first proper job paid just over £6k a year. I was loaded compared to you lot.. mind you that was in the nineties.. it was full time in the collector of taxes. our eldest earns more than that now doing 3 shifts a week at macdonalds.

Sooty 10

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Nelson, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
c Class
Exp
Since 1999.
My first wage was £2.15 shillings as an apprentice baker. Before that I used to earn money at home with photography (passport photos etc) and also printing with my Adana printing machine. Started work in 1957.

Keith (sooty)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
£3 for first week which went up to £5 for second week -Sam said he had paid us short first week because we were 15 and half so only paid us as 15 :eek: Never paid us the £2 short from first week APP joiner :)
terry

Jan 26, 2013
france
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
four years
shillings five when I joined the royal navy as a junior stores assistant in 1962. it has got to be said though that food, accommodation and all the grief that I could possibly imagine were free!

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
£1 19/ in 1959 paid fortnightly as boss said cost to much for wages dept to pay it weekly

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
July 1972. Then did 40 years straight in insurance. After leaving Zurich went in to loss adjusting with McLarens (I think we have something in common there?), Miller Fisher and Cunninghams . Ran my own adjusting company for a while and ended up the last 8 years managing Dyno-Rod's insurance claim handling service. Took early retirement in 2012 after British Gas (who own Dyno) made my life an utter misery.

LOL - no I was merely a gamekeeper turned poacher Bob - moved from Liability u/w to commericial broking. International commercial broking. Was Chair of the BI(I)BA Birmingham Liability Society for a fair few years. I think Sedgwicks were the only major broker I never worked for!

Anything anyone would like to know about Rylands and Fletcher, the snail in the ginger beer bottle, chair-o-planes, 19.2 (a) (21.2.1) or aircraft grounding cover, I'd be happy to help!

You can answer me a question though, I never discovered - whatever did happen to Dick? :whistle:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I remember it being £8000 pa which was exactly the cost of my rent for a flat in London at the time.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
You can answer me a question though, I never discovered - whatever did happen to Dick? :whistle:

McLaren Dick (no idea why they dropped Thorpe Wright and Mills) were bought out (rescued?) by Capita, then seemed to disappear. Someone told me recently that they had started up again in a small way in conjunction with some American firm? They were lovely to work for and I regretted leaving them at the time, only to find out later that most of the middle management people were booted out in the mid-80s. I seem to remember going to a lecture or two arranged by the Birmingham Liability Society, as well as the Birmingham Consequential Loss Society and other such luminaries of the time, unless I have got my societies mixed up.......

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
£2 and ten shillings as a butcher boy.... as a yoof!
then £17.50 as an apprentice bricklayer (started summer of 76 - the hot drought year after the bad windy winter)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
My first wage was £2.15 shillings as an apprentice baker. Before that I used to earn money at home with photography (passport photos etc) and also printing with my Adana printing machine. Started work in 1957.

Keith (sooty)
We had similar starts Keith although you were a few years earlier. I also had a part time job doing weddings for people who could not afford the 'pros'. Usually charged around £15 in the 70's and 80's and that included all the development, printing, deckle edging and the finished albums(y) Did one some years for a Niece's second marriage that was going to be registry office job so offered to take the photos as a wedding present. She changed her mind to a Church wedding and cost me a flaming fortune:(

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
£1/12/6 less 2/6 overalls and then the usual stoppages. 44 hours/week overtime unpaid but said time off instead. Fat chance! I went to foreman and asked for a Saturday off. Sharp intake of breath followed by Too busy this week see me later!! I gave up asking after a few attempts (like every other apprentice)(n)

OP
OP
cruiser

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
this thread has certainly brought back some memories . thank you all. I now know I was not the only one on a pittance.

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
£7 per week as a cadet Purser in the Merchant navy, 7 days a week sometimes 15 hours a day.
This was in 1962.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
£13.33 was my first wage packet as a 17 year old apprentice plumber 13.33 was exactly what my wages were supposed to be. I had some overtime and dirty money and they used to pay traveling time and fares on top which strangely enough covered my stoppages exactly this was 1973
two years later i was in dispute with them as the fares were only paid if you traveled over 3 miles and they stopped paying them on one particular job. In the end the sent me to the office where the company secretary showed me on the map where i lived and it turned out the had me down in the wrong place and i got 2 weeks flat money to make up for the discrepancy over the previous two years, blew the lot on clothes from take six oxford st
out of the thirteen pounds mum got six and she put a pound in the christmas club for me

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Youth opertunity wage in the very early 80's. I can't remember how much it was. But remember having to give my mother more than half of it. It wasn't as though they needed it either. It was at Saxone shoes. The manager wanted to keep me on when my time was up. But even then , it payed to get rid and get more cheap labour. He gave me an excellent reference. I could pick and chose my next job.
I started with Chelsea girl a week after leaving there. Dream shop for a young fashionable girl. Got to run a concession within the store. I remember wanting to be a hairdresser getting offered a job. As a junior . But I would have had to give my mother £15 and the wage was only £20.
So took the retail job at Chelsea girl £ 40 pw I think... As it left me with more cash. To spend on clothes and going out......
Then went on to lady at Lord john. Worked my way up to be an area manager for them. Worked 15 shops from Leeds to Liverpool being the furthest.
Left work at 31 to have our first born. Followed by twins 23 month later. No free child care then . No willing parents to babysit. So I became a kept woman until 4 years ago.

Now I work part time. Sampling in sainsburys . Last week I was baking croissants and pan au chocolate , Today I've been sampling IPA plus a few other beers and ale.
Later on in the week I'm baking fresh warm bread and butter , next week it's wine week, then chocolate ready for Easter .
No stress ,no agro ,good money and you get to try as much as you like hahaha.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
McLaren Dick (no idea why they dropped Thorpe Wright and Mills) were bought out (rescued?) by Capita, then seemed to disappear. Someone told me recently that they had started up again in a small way in conjunction with some American firm? They were lovely to work for and I regretted leaving them at the time, only to find out later that most of the middle management people were booted out in the mid-80s. I seem to remember going to a lecture or two arranged by the Birmingham Liability Society, as well as the Birmingham Consequential Loss Society and other such luminaries of the time, unless I have got my societies mixed up.......

Smack on Bob! When I retired as Chair, I presented the Liability Society with the Chairman's 'chain of office' - a large enamel medallion on a substantial ribbon and to my surprise, they presented me with an engraved cut glass fruit bowl which is on the dining room table behind me as I type! I did that because the Cons Loss Society had one and I was always jealous! LOL Actually they are (were?) both 'BIIBA West Midlands' societies as opposed to just Birmingham.

Someone from McLarens was Chair when I was Treasurer before my elevation. Mel Walmsley?

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Youth opertunity wage in the very early 80's. I can't remember how much it was. But remember having to give my mother more than half of it. It wasn't as though they needed it either. It was at Saxone shoes. The manager wanted to keep me on when my time was up. But even then , it payed to get rid and get more cheap labour. He gave me an excellent reference. I could pick and chose my next job.
I started with Chelsea girl a week after leaving there. Dream shop for a young fashionable girl. Got to run a concession within the store. I remember wanting to be a hairdresser getting offered a job. As a junior . But I would have had to give my mother £15 and the wage was only £20.
So took the retail job at Chelsea girl £ 40 pw I think... As it left me with more cash. To spend on clothes and going out......
Then went on to lady at Lord john. Worked my way up to be an area manager for them. Worked 15 shops from Leeds to Liverpool being the furthest.
Left work at 31 to have our first born. Followed by twins 23 month later. No free child care then . No willing parents to babysit. So I became a kept woman until 4 years ago.

Now I work part time. Sampling in sainsburys . Last week I was baking croissants and pan au chocolate , Today I've been sampling IPA plus a few other beers and ale.
Later on in the week I'm baking fresh warm bread and butter , next week it's wine week, then chocolate ready for Easter .
No stress ,no agro ,good money and you get to try as much as you like hahaha.

The job of my dreams, any vacancies?(y)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Smack on Bob! When I retired as Chair, I presented the Liability Society with the Chairman's 'chain of office' - a large enamel medallion on a substantial ribbon and to my surprise, they presented me with an engraved cut glass fruit bowl which is on the dining room table behind me as I type! I did that because the Cons Loss Society had one and I was always jealous! LOL Actually they are (were?) both 'BIIBA West Midlands' societies as opposed to just Birmingham.

Someone from McLarens was Chair when I was Treasurer before my elevation. Mel Walmsley?

Ah, the good old days when tradition counted. Things have changed so much in insurance now. I always used to think insurance companies were all honest, decent organizations despite what the public perception of them was and would defend them to the hilt. Being an adjuster you used to see the good side when they bent over backwards to help someone, but those days are gone I'm afraid. I have tried to help a few friends and relatives with insurance problems recently and been amazed at how unprofessional and downright evil/criminal some companies can be. Its not the industry I enjoyed being a part of anymore, and all my friends who are still working in it are desperate to get out I'm afraid.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Never had a wage packet in my life. The first "wage" as such was £2 10/6d. The profit from a weeks work gas tarring a 6 bay hay shed was £2. The 10/6d was for the gas tar and Turks head brush. This was in 1964. I did put my prices up after this first one though.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Then again the Maserati rear engined DS would be welcome

celcat

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Clearing out the loft found my first 'contract' a while back f0r nursing ....£2,078 per year in 1978! £350 py for living in residences. Bought my dad an engraved Zippo, my mum an electric whisk and myself a sheepskin coat with my first tax rebate!

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
£6. 10s a week working in Woolworths as a Holiday job in 1965. £5 a week in 1966 as a trainee Nursery Nurse.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Ah, the good old days when tradition counted. Things have changed so much in insurance now. I always used to think insurance companies were all honest, decent organizations despite what the public perception of them was and would defend them to the hilt. Being an adjuster you used to see the good side when they bent over backwards to help someone, but those days are gone I'm afraid. I have tried to help a few friends and relatives with insurance problems recently and been amazed at how unprofessional and downright evil/criminal some companies can be. Its not the industry I enjoyed being a part of anymore, and all my friends who are still working in it are desperate to get out I'm afraid.

Tell me about it Bob - drove me to a mental breakdown eventually in 2008 - fortunately dear old RSA (my contract was Alliance) and Willis (I was with Stewart Wrightson and staff were notified we'd been taken over by them by approx. 3ft of Telex - Pension scheme immediately absorbed into the Willis final salary scheme based on 30/50ths!) & others enabled me to retire early.

And Loss Adjusters these days :eek: - we had to have dealings with Crawfords last year after a burglary - they were pretty OK actually - but they deal with the Household claims from Dublin and you could never get to speak to them they were so busy with the floods. We'd both almost lost the will to live in the finish ....

Seems to be all pile it high and sell it cheap rather than risk management now ..... Chubb were the only company going way back, who actually looked for wangles in order to PAY the claim - instead of reasons to avoid it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back