What Voltage should my control panel be showing? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I thought you had 2 panels with separate feed to 2 separate controllers so you should be getting power from one panel unless there is a common negative cable.
The outputs from the two controllers combine into a single 6mm cable, which runs to the battery

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We have almost the same set up in almost the same van as @Robert Clark except we don't have such a large battery bank.
Our control panel shows 13.8 volts most of the time when the solar panels are doing their job.
However, we did have a similar problem when we first had the panels fitted by the dealer, before we picked the van up.
After a couple of days I didn't think the panels were charging and the led's on the solar regulator showed that to be the case.
When the dealer investigated they thought, like Robert, that the fault must be in the cable from the roof to the regulator which ran down behind the fridge.
A lengthy booking was made to investigate which might have meant removing the fridge but within half an hour it was sorted.
Apparently there was a connection right up at the front, in the locker beside the passenger seat in our LHD van, that had to be connected and 'hey presto' it has worked ever since.

All that waffle was to say, look under the cup holder at the RHS of the dash Robert.
Why there should be a solar connection there is a mystery to me but no doubt Carthago have a good reason.

Richard.
Thanks Richard
I'm now awaiting a call back from the dealer to confirm your theory.
I've ordered 5m of cable which I'm waiting to arrive today - guess I could return it if necessary.

What did they have to do to your cables to make the connection?

Regards
Robert

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The outputs from the two controllers combine into a single 6mm cable, which runs to the battery
I suspected that but you gave the impression it was the cables from the roof.
@Clarky suggestion is more like I expect the fault to be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks Richard
I'm now awaiting a call back from the dealer to confirm your theory.
I've ordered 5m of cable which I'm waiting to arrive today - guess I could return it if necessary.

What did they have to do to your cables to make the connection?

Regards
Robert
Sorry, I don't know.
The 'sparks' at the dealer fixed it and just said he had found a connection under the cup holder that he didn't know about.
It sound very much like you have the same thing so it should be an easy fix.......hopefully.

Richard.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sorry, I don't know.
The 'sparks' at the dealer fixed it and just said he had found a connection under the cup holder that he didn't know about.
It sound very much like you have the same thing so it should be an easy fix.......hopefully.

Richard.
Just spoke to the dealer and apparently the pre installed solar cables do not run direct to the battery
They take a detour to the front of the cab, into the small cabinet that you spoke of
The idea being that you fit the controller in that cupboard and the pre installed cable continues back to the battery.

So I could either locate the two cables and simply connect them together
Or - the better option, replace the cable as planned taking the shorter, more direct route to the battery.

The Carthago way of doing things would have worked better if I only had one solar controller, but I've got two, so as such my controllers have to stay where they are, working in parallel.

One step closer to solving the problem!

When its fixed I'll let @eddievanbitz know, as he may want to fit a single controller on future installations on Carthago's which have the same wiring layout as my van, or replace the pre installed cable, as I am doing.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just spoke to the dealer and apparently the pre installed solar cables do not run direct to the battery
They take a detour to the front of the cab, into the small cabinet that you spoke of
The idea being that you fit the controller in that cupboard and the pre installed cable continues back to the battery.

So I could either locate the two cables and simply connect them together
Or - the better option, replace the cable as planned taking the shorter, more direct route to the battery.

The Carthago way of doing things would have worked better if I only had one solar controller, but I've got two, so as such my controllers have to stay where they are, working in parallel.

One step closer to solving the problem!

When its fixed I'll let @eddievanbitz know, as he may want to fit a single controller on future installations on Carthago's which have the same wiring layout as my van, or replace the pre installed cable, as I am doing.
Well done! Another mystery solved. (y):)

Richard.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Re-wire it direct and keep the cable run as short as possible.

Martin

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Update
Have re run a new cable.
Made new connections (in the correct order)

The solar regulator indicator has now changed from Float to Bulk charge
and the MH control panel is up from 12.8V to 13.3V, which is great as its cloudy and raining.

Seems ironic to have had solar panels for a year, only to have them working now.
Just shows how much power our four leisure batteries, combined with our B2B charger were able to deliver

Thanks for all your help guys.
Much appreciated!

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Let us know if you find the problem with the old cable.
There was never a cable fault Lenny
Its just that the cable went via the cab, where Carthago hoped you might fit the solar controllers, then back to the batteries
Two cables
Not connected together.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Just shows how much power our four leisure batteries, combined with our B2B charger were able to deliver

So do you need the solar....?

Nice to have and they will be doing a good job in the future now they are working properly, but just goes to show there are alternatives to solar for different types of touring....

Glad you got it sorted and it will now give you peace of mind...(y)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
How / where is this connected to Jim
The Victron BMV comes with a shunt which is connected into the negative return to the battery bank as close as possible to the batteries then there is a RJ45 cable back to the display Jime has in the picture. They are great I have one ready to fit this winter, they show all sorts of useful stuff.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
There was never a cable fault Lenny
Its just that the cable went via the cab, where Carthago hoped you might fit the solar controllers, then back to the batteries
Two cables
Not connected together.
So how come the installation was never checked by the installer, sounds like Eddie's company has cocked up on this one.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You posted a photograph of your two controllers in another thread. I've just looked at it and it shows two lights glowing on each controller - which suggests it was working at that time. I suspect the wires in the cab came apart since the installation.

image56.jpg

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You posted a photograph of your two controllers in another thread. I've just looked at it and it shows two lights glowing on each controller - which suggests it was working at that time. I suspect the wires in the cab came apart since the installation.

View attachment 118223
The controllers showed the same lights today
Sadly the wires had never been connected. I guess the Victron controllers were giving a false indication. The batteries were drawing no current from them - so they were full. Hence the float charge status.
Now they're connected to the battery, they're on 'bulk charge' which is what you'd expect after having the air conditioning running for an hour

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
So do you need the solar....?

Nice to have and they will be doing a good job in the future now they are working properly, but just goes to show there are alternatives to solar for different types of touring....

Glad you got it sorted and it will now give you peace of mind...(y)
It would have been nice to have the solar when we were in Portugal last month. It was 40deg outside and the Air Con would have been a treat
Maybe we would have faired less well if we'd not doubled our battery capacity ?

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
So the lights merely showed the connection of the controllers to the battery and not the connection to the solar panels! On the controller that @Techno suggests there is a green light to show the battery connection and a blue light to show the solar connection and other lights to show reversed polarity etc.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
LennyHB:

I would agree, and will investigate fully on my return

First rule of installation never "assume" anything

I can only apologise Robert and will get back to you when I am back in work

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
A quick glance at voltage and its easy to think that your bank is charged. However I have a Victron Monitor and use the % to see the actual state of charge.

My three panel in morning sunshine and I'll have a reading of 13+ volts but check the percentage and I might be only 85% charged

ZVICBAM010702200.jpg
Jim
I've been doing a bit of research on these Victron Battery Monitors online, and they really are a great piece of kit.
Not too expensive either - about £125 on Ebay, and you can get a blutooth dongle for under £50 which enables you to program it and check its readout on your mobile phone.
Installation looks straightforward too.

Appreciate you posting this, as my on board control panel won't tell me the state of my batteries as the solar panels give 'confusing' voltage readings.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Jim
I've been doing a bit of research on these Victron Battery Monitors online, and they really are a great piece of kit.
Not too expensive either - about £125 on Ebay, and you can get a blutooth dongle for under £50 which enables you to program it and check its readout on your mobile phone.
Installation looks straightforward too.

Appreciate you posting this, as my on board control panel won't tell me the state of my batteries as the solar panels give 'confusing' voltage readings.
There are several models Robert so take your time reviewing the options. I have had these on 2 boats and my last RV, once properly set up they are very accurate, good luck.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
As installed by Eddie (of this parish).
There was no room beside the main control panel so they fitted it in the panel above the rear of the side locker and at the front of the pull up tv casing. In your case it would be just behind the drivers seat.
IMG_1550.jpg

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
As installed by Eddie (of this parish).
There was no room beside the main control panel so they fitted it in the panel above the rear of the side locker and at the front of the pull up tv casing. In your case it would be just behind the drivers seat.View attachment 118347
Hi Richard
Can't imagine where you mean
Would you mind taking a pic ?
Regards
Robert

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I will post one in the morning Robert.
Here you go @Robert Clark.
My description was a bit vague I have to admit but I knew what I meant. :)
These pictures should save a few words, although probably not a thousand.
IMG_1993.JPG
FullSizeRender 2.jpg

The black sockets at the bottom have 1x12v socket (standard cigar lighter type) and 2x USB. Very handy for keeping phone, iPads etc. charged with a handy shelf to sit them on.

Voltage on the Victron this morning:-
FullSizeRender.jpg

And on the Carthago control panel:-
IMG_1998.JPG

No mains hook up, just charging on solar.

Hope that helps

Richard.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Here you go @Robert Clark.
My description was a bit vague I have to admit but I knew what I meant. :)
These pictures should save a few words, although probably not a thousand.
View attachment 118405 View attachment 118406
The black sockets at the bottom have 1x12v socket (standard cigar lighter type) and 2x USB. Very handy for keeping phone, iPads etc. charged with a handy shelf to sit them on.

Voltage on the Victron this morning:- View attachment 118407
And on the Carthago control panel:-
View attachment 118408

No mains hook up, just charging on solar.

Hope that helps

Richard.
Thanks Richard
Appreciate your effort

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Final update

When @eddievanbitz had fitted my original solar panels, they had connected the controllers to one end of the pre installed Carthago cable.
The other end of the cable was connected to the batteries.
The Solar Regulators fired up and flashed to say that they batteries were full and at float charge.

Sadly the cable did not go directly to the batteries, it went via the cab, where Carthago thought you might like to fit the solar controllers.
There was a break in the cable, so no charge was actually getting to the batteries
The Solar Controllers were giving a false reading as a result of this.

Yes, I guess a Eddie's fitter may have made a mistake by not checking that the cable had no breaks in it.
I can't remember ever having checked the continuity of any cable I ever worked on - so I would have made the same assumption having seen the indicators on the solar regulator - battery was fully charged.

There is a very valuable lesson to be learned from this episode and its not about solar regulators its about customer service, honesty and integrity. In that any company can get a good reputation when things are going right, but the true indication of 'real' professionalism is how a company performs when things go wrong. To this end I am happy to report that Eddie and the Vanbitz team went out of their way to quickly find out what happened, to say sorry and to put things right.

I've always held Vanbitz in high regard and they have proved once more how professional and customer focused they really are.

Thanks Eddie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back