Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
Last August I collapsed in SW France and was taken by ambulance to Langon hospital, which is about 30 miles SE of Bordeaux. My wife gave the hospital my passport and EHIC details.
The ambulance crew were firemen and were very efficient, they also travelled slow enough to enable my wife to follow in the motorhome, they even showed her to a corner of the hospital car park where she was able to stay for three nights.
They did not supply any medication as I had got my own in the motorhome, they kept me for three days for observation then let me go.
On returning home I received an invoice a few months later, so I contacted our Overseas Heathcare Team in Newcastle, who said that I must first pay the account then send them copies of my receipts for a refund etc.
As we were travelling to Spain for Xmas and New Year we decided to call in and pay the account there.
On returning home I contacted Newcastle again who sent me a wad of forms to complete and return, which I did.
This morning I have just received a letter from Newcastle, which reads: The authorities in France have told us that they cannot authorise a refund because Not covered Under FW Legislation.

So what actual use the EHIC card ?

Before anyone mentions it we have Red Pennant cover for both health and vehicle.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We have never had a problem with the EHIC card before, just claimed back but only for minor ailments. Can't you claim on your Red Pennant, I'd be interested on how you get on as we have never claimed on that before.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Not sure about France, but in Spain, to use the EHIC you must make sure that you are taken to a Health Service hospital and NOT a Private hospital, where you will be charged

Hotels, for example, tend to call for Ambulance to a Private Hospital by default

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
What was the charge for as i always thought that you had to pay for bed or food seperately in some foreign countries . You do not always get like for like with NHS . Never had a problem using my EHIC abroad and have received excellant service each time

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I have used my EHIC card on a couple of occasions in Spain with no problems.

You do have to be aware that the card does not cover you for private treatment or Ambulance, and of course, any patient contribution payable in that country.

In other words you get treated the same as a native of the country you are in.

That seems fair enough to me.

:cooler:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back