Free Member
Apr 5, 2017
Billinge
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Guys
We have just got our first motorhome, a fifteen year old Auto-Sleeper Exec and love it to bits, however the only thing we don't love is getting stuck on damp grass. :( which seems to be a recurring theme, so we are thinking the tyres need a case of looking at...

The van has newish 215x70x15 Agilis on the front, however I think they are van tyres, as I cannot see camper or M&S markings, the rears are same size Michellin Camper X which look worryingly old, the pressures are also high at 75psi front and back, which makes the van rattle like a drum on anything but the smoothest roads.

We think that all the tyres probably need to be changed, however not sure which as opinions appear split between Agilis Camper M&S, Conti's and Pirelli. Also not sure about sizes, as we are thinking that going up to 225x70x15 might help, but that may need a change of wheels, so looking for a bit of advice from you peeps.

Regards Steve & Annemarie

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Have a look at the sidewall of the tyre and look for the date marker,it is inside an oblong circle? Should read something like 0409,that equates to the fourth week of 2009. Ideally tyres should get changed after 4 years use.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Although you should have no problem with the wheels if you change to 225x70x15, it shouldn't be necessary unless you need to uprate the vehicle weight.

Your pressures seem somewhat high and, yes, it will cause loose fillings! It won't help with grip on damp grass either so before you do anything else search for your correct tyre pressures; been lots of threads about them.

Would agree that as there are no specific markings they probably are commercial tyres and that probably won't help either. Agree with bigtree you should check the age and if you can't find the age marker the tyres are definitely out of date. I don't however necessarily agree about changing after 4 years - they can last a lot longer but should be checked periodically for condition, best by a professional.

As for what to get for replacements, it depends on what you're going to use the van for. M&S is probably a good all round choice but again it's been discussed ad nauseum hereon!

Or you could stay off damp grass???:D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
You need to consider carefully before running onto wet grass . I think if you are on your own it's a no no .If you are at a meet chances are there will be a tractor somewhere to pull everyone off , It will be not the first time we all have sat in a quagmire wondering how we are going to get off ,if in doubt keep as near to-solid ground as possible .also have some of the plastic mats etc. that are available to park on which allow you to start the van rolling .I can assure you will learn quickly on how best to deal with these situations .If you get a good camping tyre , running for myself slightly softer than the manufacturer recomends pressure .The choice of tyre should be the best tyre for you on the road .With best tyres possible you can still get stuck in the mud lol Above keep calm and enjoy lol

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back