What Tyres Do I Need To Raise My Load Rating? (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I assume therefore that you are still running no at no more than 3500kg in total, but are loading one of your axles heavier than the original plated weight for it?

I understand what you are saying about the axle weights being 'higher' than they were originally due to the effect of your 'improvements' but if this isn't show on a plate I'm not aware that it is 'legal' to load over the original weights, regardless of whether anyone has been prosecuted or not.

You can uprate the weight of one or other axles without affecting the MTLPM by doing what he's done but for it to be legal you still have to follow it through with the same process as you would for a full uprate i.e. supporting docs from an engineer and send them off to Swansea.

Example: Ours is at 3850kg total, 2000 rear & 1850 front. If we fitted air suspension and changed the tyres we can get the rear axle to 2200 or 2240 (it's one or the other, can't remember which) but the MTLPM will stay at 3850. It's an Al-ko and can't go beyond that total.
The paperwork process is the same as the one you've just done with engineers and DVLA and we would need a new weight plate.

If you have the capacity to spare on the front it just gives you a bit more leeway at the back, minus the weight of the air kit obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can uprate the weight of one or other axles without affecting the MTLPM by doing what he's done but for it to be legal you still have to follow it through with the same process as you would for a full uprate i.e. supporting docs from an engineer and send them off to Swansea.
Phew ... so its not just me that thinks this! (y)

Example: Ours is at 3850kg total, 2000 rear & 1850 front. If we fitted air suspension and changed the tyres we can get the rear axle to 2200 or 2240 (it's one or the other, can't remember which) but the MTLPM will stay at 3850. It's an Al-ko and can't go beyond that total. The paperwork process is the same as the one you've just done with engineers and DVLA and we would need a new weight plate.

If you have the capacity to spare on the front it just gives you a bit more leeway at the back, minus the weight of the air kit obviously.
This is a bit of a concern though, if you put more weight on the rear and take it off the front it could affect handling, this is part of what you pay the engineer for as they assess it to see if it would be safe with the revisions. :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
This is a bit of a concern though, if you put more weight on the rear and take it off the front it could affect handling, this is part of what you pay the engineer for as they assess it to see if it would be safe with the revisions. :)

I don't know the techy stuff. When I first looked into my uprate with SV it was one of the options they gave me but it was never something I really considered so didn't get into it any more than that. I do know that that would have been the absolute limit for the vehicle though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm even more confused now!:D

Now, from what you've said, I understand that:
  • you've changed your tyres for ahigher load index
  • you've put on some Dunlop rear air suspension assistors
  • but you have NOT applied to uprate your vehicle so it still has a registered MAM of 3500kg
I assume therefore that you are still running no at no more than 3500kg in total, but are loading one of your axles heavier than the original plated weight for it?

I understand what you are saying about the axle weights being 'higher' than they were originally due to the effect of your 'improvements' but if this isn't show on a plate I'm not aware that it is 'legal' to load over the original weights, regardless of whether anyone has been prosecuted or not. I'm also not aware of what effect this would have on an insurance claim in the event of an accident. It is one thing to say you've done this and that but AFAIA unless it is officially 'registered' it is still only legal on the original figures.

Sorry Minxy your confusing me now.
I can only talk about my situation that is the changes I have made will allow me to uprate/replate my vehicle from 3500 to 3850 when I wish to, yes of course my vehicle is still registered as a 3500. As said previously I always visit the weighbridge a few days (sometimes hours) before we set off and if I find that the axle load/weight has gone beyond the plated weight I just remove articles from the garage and transfer them to the front, the relevance of this is that my wife and I know the precise weight of each and every article we put into the garage this also includes the weight of the Fiamma bike rack and two bikes this way if we need to transfer weight from the rear axle to the front we know straight away what weight were decreasing and what weight is being added to thus keeping it still within the plated weight (MAM) of 3500. The changes I have made have had the approval of SVTech (once they see the photographic evidence of the work carried out) they also quoted me a price for submitting the changes to the DVLA.. so when the time comes I will either get them to do the paperwork or I might just do it myself.....what.sometimes can happen is that the vehicle is over weight, for instance ( extra fuel or water added might be added) but because of the changes I have made the vehicle is still safe to drive.. This might alarm you but I spent some time last year at various camp sites in Europe asking the question: do you know what the weight of your MH is? from my analysis 87% of owners had no ideal what the weight of their loaded MH's were and what was more significant didnt know what the tyre pressures should be set to the corresponding weight of their vehicle now that is just plain 'fool hardy'.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
.what.sometimes can happen is that the vehicle is over weight, for instance ( extra fuel or water added might be added) but because of the changes I have made the vehicle is still safe to drive..

But not legal. If you get stopped and weighed you are still in trouble.

It doesn't matter what you've done and what SV Tech have said is OK. Until your V5 is changed and back in your possession showing the new weight it all means nothing. You won't be able to change it quickly before you go away either. Even with paperwork from SV it will take somewhere between 2 weeks and 3 months to get your new V5 back from DVLA and until that happens you can only weigh 3500kg whether you're safe for more or not.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
mentaliss - I hear what you're saying but you have absolutely nothing in writing to prove you are 'safe'. Knowingly going over the registered axle weights and/or the MAM, regardless of your improvements, and then trying to explain your reasoning for doing so to a copper isn't something I would like to have to do! It is of course your choice though and you are free to do as you see fit.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
they also quoted me a price for submitting the changes to the DVLA.. so when the time comes I will either get them to do the paperwork or I might just do it myself.....
not unless you are a fully qualified engineer registered and accepted by DVSA or pay one for a report you wont be doing it yourself. it just doesnt work that way.....sorry

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
they also quoted me a price for submitting the changes to the DVLA.. so when the time comes I will either get them to do the paperwork or I might just do it myself.....
not unless you are a fully qualified engineer registered and accepted by DVSA or pay one for a report you wont be doing it yourself. it just doesnt work that way.....sorry

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
IMI, City & Guilds, National Craftsman, Institute of Automobile design....is that enough??:(

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
IMI, City & Guilds, National Craftsman, Institute of Automobile design....is that enough??:(

Almost certainly not.

Try and get registered and approved for anything like this without having Chartered status and see how far you get.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
But not legal. If you get stopped and weighed you are still in trouble.

It doesn't matter what you've done and what SV Tech have said is OK. Until your V5 is changed and back in your possession showing the new weight it all means nothing. You won't be able to change it quickly before you go away either. Even with paperwork from SV it will take somewhere between 2 weeks and 3 months to get your new V5 back from DVLA and until that happens you can only weigh 3500kg whether you're safe for more or not.
It appears that you guys don't understand what I am doing? Why do I need to change my V5?? perhaps you need to read all my posts again? the vehicle is still within the MAM 3500! there is no new weight, I am not overweight at any time the transfer of items to the front axle still shows I am within the original front axle loading as is the rear axle loading this is why we always visit the weighbridge!! Can you say that your as thorough as I am? as I mentioned already 87% of motor homers DONT KNOW their loaded weight or their correct tyre pressures, if you don't believe this either then I suggest you do what I did and ask and you might just be alarmed
Thats it! Im done :(:(

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Doh!!!

This thread has highlighted the fact that when I changed my tyres last year, I could have putt 225's on rather than 215's.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It appears that you guys don't understand what I am doing? Why do I need to change my V5?? perhaps you need to read all my posts again? the vehicle is still within the MAM 3500! there is no new weight, I am not overweight at any time the transfer of items to the front axle still shows I am within the original front axle loading as is the rear axle loading this is why we always visit the weighbridge!! Can you say that your as thorough as I am? as I mentioned already 87% of motor homers DONT KNOW their loaded weight or their correct tyre pressures, if you don't believe this either then I suggest you do what I did and ask and you might just be alarmed

I do know my correct tyre pressures, provided by the tyre manufacturers. Nobody else can provide them. I also know what we weigh.

Read your post here:

.what.sometimes can happen is that the vehicle is over weight, for instance ( extra fuel or water added might be added) but because of the changes I have made the vehicle is still safe to drive.

It suggests that you think that even if the vehicle is over weight it can still be driven. It can't.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Perhaps if you were a little bit clearer in what you are saying we wouldn't be trying to fill in the blanks! :)

I believe that you are:
  1. running under 3500kg in total
  2. running your front axle at less than the original plated weight
  3. running your rear axle at more than the original plated weight
It is the 3rd point that is the problem ... until you have the rear axle officially recorded and plated at the new rate that you are now loading it up to, you ARE NOT LEGAL! :(

If that's not what you're doing then I give up! :rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Doh!!!

This thread has highlighted the fact that when I changed my tyres last year, I could have putt 225's on rather than 215's.
Yes but as above, unless you register the new axle weight you still cannot legally load it up any more than the original plated weight!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Yes but as above, unless you register the new axle weight you still cannot legally load it up any more than the original plated weight!

No But, (yea but no, but yea but),
I had already uprated my weight and the extra loading capacity in the tyres would have given me possibly a better ride as the tyres would have had more capacity.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
No But, (yea but no, but yea but),
I had already uprated my weight and the extra loading capacity in the tyres would have given me possibly a better ride as the tyres would have had more capacity.
I'll let you off then ... :D

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Perhaps if you were a little bit clearer in what you are saying we wouldn't be trying to fill in the blanks! :)

I believe that you are:
  1. running under 3500kg in total
  2. running your front axle at less than the original plated weight
  3. running your rear axle at more than the original plated weight
It is the 3rd point that is the problem ... until you have the rear axle officially recorded and plated at the new rate that you are now loading it up to, you ARE NOT LEGAL! :(

If that's not what you're doing then I give up! :rolleyes:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, running under 3500
Yes running front axle at less than the original plated weight even with sometimes transferred items from the rear garage
No, not running rear axle at more than the original plated weight

Yes Minxy give up, why are trying to score points?? you obviously love an argument, I know exactly what I'm doing I never asked you for your opinion or advice, what is your problem? , PLEASE READ the my posts ! Where did I say that I was running an overweight vehicle?? and what's it got to do with you anyway ? as I have said so many times, I have made the necessary changes that will allow me at some time to apply to the DVLA to replate my vehicle...of course the vehicle is LEGAL as I am not running at any time behond the PLATED AXLE WEIGHTS . BYE

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, running under 3500
Yes running front axle at less than the original plated weight even with sometimes transferred items from the rear garage
No, not running rear axle at more than the original plated weight

Yes Minxy give up, why are trying to score points?? you obviously love an argument, I know exactly what I'm doing I never asked you for your opinion or advice, what is your problem? , PLEASE READ the my posts ! Where did I say that I was running an overweight vehicle?? and what's it got to do with you anyway ? as I have said so many times, I have made the necessary changes that will allow me at some time to apply to the DVLA to replate my vehicle...of course the vehicle is LEGAL as I am not running at any time behond the PLATED AXLE WEIGHTS . BYE
Perhaps if you had actually answered Minxie's questions of clarification in Post #27 this might all have been avoided. But your post #28 on my reading confuses things further. You seem to have taken an awful lot of posts to tell us that you run your MH within the maximums for both vehicle and individual axles. This is indeed what folk should do and if their vehicle exceeds one or other of these something needs to be done, either physically, (say redistributing or taking things out or modifying the vehicle by fitting uprated tyres and/or suspension if that is what is needed and it does the job) or in some cases, like my vehicle, through a paper exercise only. :):) :)

And as for picking an argument - read again your first sentence in post #28.

As for the question in the OP, if anyone can remember it, I think the OP needs to ask SVTech why the tyres need uprating. It may well be the tyres they have fitted do not have the correct load rating to meet the plated axle weight - but that could be wrong and without more information it is difficult to advise.

Last edited:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Perhaps if you had actually answered Minxie's questions of clarification in Post #27 this might all have been avoided. But your post #28 on my reading confuses things further. You seem to have taken an awful lot of posts to tell us that you run your MH within the maximums for both vehicle and individual axles. This is indeed what folk should do and if their vehicle exceeds one or other of these something needs to be done, either physically, (say redistributing or taking things out or modifying the vehicle by fitting uprated tyres and/or suspension if that is what is needed and it does the job) or in some cases, like my vehicle, through a paper exercise only. :):) :)

And as for picking an argument - read again your first sentence in post #28.

As for the question in the OP, if anyone can remember it, I think the OP needs to ask SVTech why the tyres need uprating. It may well be the tyres they have fitted do not have the correct load rating to meet the plated axle weight - but that could be wrong and without more information it is difficult to advise.
Then why all the Unsolicited stupid questions

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Then why all the Unsolicited stupid questions
If you are referring to me then as I said previously, if you had made it clearer what you were trying to 'tell 'us none of this would have been necessary.

As for scoring points and loving an argument ... what a rediculous accusation to make! I don't have a 'problem' with you at all ... I have just been trying to clarify exactly what you actually do as opposed to what your posts implied you were doing as it was far from clear. If you had read and answered my earlier queries about this I wouldn't have felt the need to ask again ... I am concerned, not for you as such as you can do as you wish, but for others who could easily be 'lulled' into think that doing what you have would make them 'legal' without going through the correct re-plating process ... there are posts from other which I believe bear this 'concern' out.

This is an open forum and you need to remember that you will get people with differing views to you posting on it; I am entitled to my opinion, as are you, and I'd be grateful if you could remember that instead of 'accusing' me of doing something I'm not!

Now finally we know what you do ... shame it's taken so long to get there but at least we have in the end!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Mentaliss.

Your comment "Then why all the Unsolicited stupid questions"
does not sit well with me. (My highlights and underline.)

This Forum is not for peeps who use that word in that context.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I have had 2 bites at uprating my vehicle. Last year I used SVTech to get up to 4,500 kilograms overall maximum laden weight by fitting air suspension. This was all submitted to DVLA and a new plated weight recorded and a new V5 received.

I have now replaced 2 rear tyres with an uprated weight rating on advice from SVTech which increases the rear axle loading by 100 kilograms and they have issued me with a new weight plate for the vehicle to record the uprated rear axle new maximum. No need to inform DVLA about this as the maximum laden weight is unchanged and the individual axle weights are not recorded on the V5 but the vehicle plate has this on should anyone wish to inspect the vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back