LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Yup.. and they has applied a couple of times ( it is a church group and the mess was left by louts all around an OAP residence )
The first time they applied they were ignored.. the next time they were asked to produce public liability insurance and submit a risk assessment, which they did..
It all went quite for 4 months so they took the view that all was well and did the job..
Breckland council is infested with people who openly take back handers and do virtually nothing for the people of the area except cause them problems

hate to say it but it is Conservative led, and is possibly one of the worst examples of local govt I have come across ( apart from Suffolk perhaps but that is another story !! )

Hope they got publicity for the clean up and the council's threat in the local paper. Sounds like a jobsworth in the local authority administration to be honest.... even "good" councils have them - the ones that lose paperwork or push difficult stuff to the bottom of the pile.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Its more like "wild party" than "wild camp" that is the problem. Its more likely that its folk from near by large cities who pile in their cars, bang up tents, party and leave.

There are laws to deal with this and banning wild camping wont stop it as these people are not really wild campers they are dirty law breaking lazy scum!

Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
can't believe the lazy, un-thoughtful people that leave litter scattered wherever they go :swear2: lost count on the number of times I've gone around with a bag picking up other peoples mess, the culprits are just ignorant,selfish lazy individuals who couldn't give a dam about anything or anybody, and I'm all for having a motorhomers meet with a litter picking day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Maybe we could all have large yellow stickers for our vans saying something like "real motorhomers don't leave litter just footprints"
just thinking how about signs saying;
"Real motorhomers don't leave litter just footprints on the heads of litterers" but that's not very PC I suppose:) there's no real answer to this problem as the best of our intentions can be vetoed or stalled by 'head in the sand' councils who hide behind risk assessments, PC and what if? policies instead of tackling the problems head-on and accepting possible consequences but gaining in public admiration and support. Just my 2p.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Makes my blood boil ... and it's not only wildcampers. I've spent about two hours in total this last week onto Mendip Council about fly tipping which is just growing and growing into a bigger and bigger heap where I am at the moment .....

We all need to phone up when it happens ... not the Councils' faults but the trouble is that once one person does it, the rest don't seem to give a damn and follow suit...

upload_2015-5-6_16-38-50.jpeg

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
When ever we camp we take home more than we bring every time we stop we pick up any litter around the aria we camp.
One place we go to the first time we collected three bags of crap.
I know it's not your rubbish but if you see something like that bag it bin it
just dispose of it at the nearest bin
bill

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
We tend to pick up bits of rubbish as We feel bad that people THINK it might have been us that did it.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hmmm, not sure I've ever seen a water bottle that big being used by a MoHo'er. More than likely out of an office.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Now we are out of Afghanistan and Iraq, there are plenty of Army snipers who need to practice observing an area and take shots when the opportunity arises!

It should be Government policy for fly tippers and messy freeloaders!:)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
The right to roam act in Scotland , ended up causing a lot of problems , the Non Educated Delinquents from the citys and towns caused so much damage and littler especially around Loch Lomond that they now have rangers patrolling the loch .The release of the news article is politically motivated , Mr Salmon brought in the law .
Heavy fines and more rangers on patrol are the answer , if they can take your car off of you for poaching salmon , then why cant they take your car off you for leaving a mess like that.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
It makes me angry when councils make knee jerk bans on motorhomerparking.

Do we ban all people called Jim looking after children because of Jimmy Saville?

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
exactly. It is an industrial one meant for refilling.

Very true - refillable office cooler bottle, large cardboard box, large black bin bag full of rubbish - unlikely to be a camper of any sort (even though there is a broken "camping" chair there - they are used for all sorts of things)

Media assessment :- "Fly tipping" - not much of a story there - go on then we'll call it "campers destroying the countryside" - that makes for better journalism and more readers for us!!

Usual press inaccurate sensationalism in my opinion!!

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
That looked more like fly tipping than campers! I live near the coast and on the back roads there are frequently fly tips; just last week a couple of mattresses had been dumped on some bushes on an unmade road - so definitely done deliberately.

I really can't understand why anyone flytips either.

Denise

It is disgusting that anyone fly-tips, but don't forget that the council tips are only open at certain times, and in some areas not even every day. Tips in the countryside can be quite long distances away, there are often queues so tipping can be time consuming, plus if you arrive in a van or with a trailer you need to have a written licence with you with the correct vehicle numberplate on and the actual person named on the licence.

Commercial tipping is charged for by the amount I believe. I pulled into a beautiful layby and there in the grass on the bank beneath it were a trailer load of bricks and rubble and a couple of wheelbarrows full of broken sheet glass, plus a few lounge chairs and mattresses.

As I say I think fly tipping is appalling - but you asked WHY would anyone flytrip.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Dippingtoe - I know that is one of the reasons but it still doesn't justify flytipping. In this area they are open 7 days a week from 8am - 4pm. I think everyone can get to a tip during those times at least one or two days of the week. Most people don't work 7 days a week! at least not every week!

Denise

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Golden Rule!
Take only photographs, leave only footprints!!

Agree, but try telling that to the mindless louts that don't give a **** for anywhere or anything.

We live in a quiet rural part of D & G and when we had the dog, I used to walk him along the river and across a beautiful old bridge near to us. I was horrified to see excrement partly covered by loo roll one morning when walking, I looked like a biker had been caught short. I could see the tyre tracks nearby...........another time someone had left a "mess" in the old bus shelter nearby.

Sadly some people are just downright disgusting and will never change......makes us wonder what their homes are like:(

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
DeniseJoe - Absolutely agreed but it does annoy me somewhat that councils charge to tip, then prosecute landowners whose land has been fly-tipped on.

As I say I think a lot of it is commercial tippers who don't want to drive/wait/pay to tip and probably have to sort it into the correct bins. I am not even sure if they don't have to go to a designated commercial tip rather than the normal ones - and "Man with a Van" who comes to move your rubbish after work is hardly going to bother to wait until 8am next morning to tip it when there is a layby on the way back home.

Once again I am NOT condoning, just explaining why it may be happening. Was there as much flytipping before councils began charging for the "service"?

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
It is disgusting that anyone fly-tips, but don't forget that the council tips are only open at certain times, and in some areas not even every day. Tips in the countryside can be quite long distances away, there are often queues so tipping can be time consuming, plus if you arrive in a van or with a trailer you need to have a written licence with you with the correct vehicle numberplate on and the actual person named on the licence.

Commercial tipping is charged for by the amount I believe. I pulled into a beautiful layby and there in the grass on the bank beneath it were a trailer load of bricks and rubble and a couple of wheelbarrows full of broken sheet glass, plus a few lounge chairs and mattresses.

As I say I think fly tipping is appalling - but you asked WHY would anyone flytrip.

Agree with what you're saying, we live in the country and our closest tip in Castle Douglas is a 30 mile round trip for us. That's probably why we've had a load of stuff "hidden" behind our garage for years.......but that's another story. From memory it's around £80 - £100 to hire a small skip.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Much of the rubbish is left by weekend campers and anglers who cannot be arsed to take things away.I have travelled that your with every kind of transport over last 40 years and it just seems that it is getting worse in past 12 months.
You very rarely ever see a motorhome parked at the side of the road.
It is far worse between Comrie and Lochearnhead and Perthshire Council are being left to clear up after these animals.As there is only 1 toilet a St Fillians and the next at the top of the loch at Lochearned you can sometimes see the dirty lavy buggers craped at the side of the loch by their fishing rods, not a pretty site.
Police should move them on if no facilities available to them.

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Third word of the headline says it all :mad:.
But I have to agree with @Borderland , it strikes me as being a 'political' piece in order to gain support for "curbs on access" laws.
It is a scatter gun blast, targeting not only wilding motorhomers, & tenters but also anglers.
Have we really grown up into a generation where we 'expect' someone else to do all our cleaning/clearing up just because we've paid our taxes [or campsite fees]?
...and the old chestnut - do people live like this in their own homes? [Sadly, I think some do].
Being suspicious of the press, my first thoughts? Anyone could collect a few bin bags , dump them, take a picture and blame someone to make a point.

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
That was either fly tipping or Itinerants. Never seen a motorhomer carrying a water fountain.

Question on litter; Why do SOME dog owners go to the trouble of picking up their dog's shite in a plastic bag, only to throw it on the ground, or hang it from a branch or fence? One popular spot near us was spotted with over a dozen bags hanging off the farmer's fence. :confused:

Keith :cool:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I'm not convinced that wild campers have dumped this rubbish.

In my opinion many people don't even know about the recycling centres. They should be publicised more by putting notices up at common fly tipping sites.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back