What type of hose to fill freshwater? (1 Viewer)

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
To fill the freshwater tank I was thinking of using a normal garden hose (water run through to make sure no stagnent water left in).
Is this ok or is there some kind of special hose that we should be looking at?? I thought it would be fine but now the mother-in-law :Eeek: has made me think again....can anyone help??

MotorhomeWales

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
West Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
I think the best one is the flat hose on a roll, means you dont have to un roll it all out each time. Any hose that is food grade will be O.K.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Many people use a blue food grade hose. We do, we suffered with rubbery tasting tea when we used a regular garden hose. They are a pain to roll back up but that's a small price to pay for a nice cuppa::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I use a round yellow hose :winky:

Seriously tho..........I use different coloured hose for different jobs........that way I can't use the wrong one ::bigsmile:
The only difference I have found with hoses is some are flat (for easy storage) some are re-enforced (so they dont kink) and they come in various lenths and colours.
Some are really cheap (I bought a spare 50mtr one at the weekend for only £14.99) and some are wildly expensive but they all deliver water in the same way :roflmto:

Hope this helps

Boo

Upvote 0
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
In 15yrs of fulll timing, never had any smell problems although would suggest if new running water through for a while.

Regards

Upvote 0
OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks everyone. As we have a spare garden hose which I've wound up quite nicely we'll use that this weekend and see how it goes...hope we don't get the taste problems. We'll take a small jerry can to fill kettle for the weekend as a back up though I think:thumb:

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Some folk say you should only use food grade hose, but my parents used a garden hose to fill their various motorcaravans for 20 odd years and we never suffered any ill effects. I did the same when I had one.

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We filter all our drinking and cooking water so the slight tainting ogf the water by a normal hose doesn't affect us.

We use water from a container to drink/cook with.

Food grade hose is ideal if you need a cleaner tasting water.

Upvote 0

scotsy

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Funster No
We are 'newbies' but will be using our normal garden hose to re-fill our onboard fresh tanks as we only use this water for everyday chores, washing, washing up, toilet flush etc. We use a 5ltr bottle to re-fill the kettle for brews and the dog's drinking bowl, this cost £3.50 from our local camping shop and we even took our 1st fill with us from home, usually enough for a couple of days worth of 'brews' :RollEyes:

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We use green garden hose for filling tanks. We also have a filter fitted to the kitchen sink cold tap we drink this water straight from the tap and also use it for tea and coffee Before the filter we did used to suffer the bad taste others have mentioned.

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We use garden hose. Initialy there was a slight taste in the tea but its long since disappeard. There is another post on here from somebody who works for a hose making company regarding the fittness of garden hose for drinking water. Its an interesting post which is worth reading.

I suppose the ideal is to use food grade but its just more to carry around

Jim
:Smile:

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
We have always used an ordinary garden hose, but always filter our drinking water,so no problems,see attached link, not cheap but very good.

Home

Dave:thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We are 'newbies' but will be using our normal garden hose to re-fill our onboard fresh tanks as we only use this water for everyday chores, washing, washing up, toilet flush etc. We use a 5ltr bottle to re-fill the kettle for brews and the dog's drinking bowl, this cost £3.50 from our local camping shop and we even took our 1st fill with us from home, usually enough for a couple of days worth of 'brews' :RollEyes:

Clearly you don't drink tea in the quantities that we do..... :winky:

My chief worry upon reading this thread is whether the taste of my scotch will be affected. Hmmmmm.... best not to contaminate it at all then :Smile:

P.S. Got a flat hose - never used it. Garden hose well flushed for every fill up at home.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i use a clear hose bought from the local garden center fishpond dept.

must have less chemicals in the manufacturing process as it has no colour dyes plus you can see whats growing inside it.

not that bothered as we use a very high quality inline water filter for drinking water.

Link Removed

not cheap but worth every penny.:thumb:

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?

Spot on.

A good cuppa doesn't taste right without fresh water.::bigsmile::Cool:

Upvote 0

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
Water Hose

I use PVC braided hose ( Air Hose ) we have never encountered taste or smell problems so far and have used it for about 15 years.
Steve

Upvote 0

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I think we can be TOO carefull un what we eat or drink these days.............which makes our imune system weaker............read below, you'll see what I mean:

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos..
> They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.
>
>
>
Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.
>
>
>
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
>
>
>
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
>
>
>
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
>
>
>
Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Nandos.
>
>
>
Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!
>
>
>
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
>
>
>
We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum and some bangers to blow up frogs with.
> We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because.......
>
>
>
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!
>
>
>
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
>
>
>
No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.��
>
>
>
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of o ld prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.
>
>
>
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY,
> no video/dvd films,
> no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
>
>
>
>
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
> Lawsuits from these accidents.

>
>
>

>
Only girls had pierced ears!
>
>
�
>

>
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
>
>
>

>
You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time...
>
>

>

>
We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,
>
& gt;
>
>
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!
>
>
Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!
>
>
>

>
RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on

0A
MERIT

>
>
>
>

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and bully's�always ruled the playground at school.
>

>
>
>
>
>

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!
>
>
>

>

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

>
>
>
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO
> DEAL WITH IT ALL!
>
>
>
>
>
Are YOU are one of them?.........then
> CONGRATULATIONS!

And I'm still alive too:winky:

Boo

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
This post was made by iceni in Feruary. Jim :Smile:

Hi
If you dont use food grade hose then you have to make sure you do certain things before you use it to fill the van the most important being run water through for 30 seconds (per 50m length) before filling the tank.
Its not bacteria that the problem .Its the chemicals used in PVC garden hose which can contain nasties such as cadmuim Talc, and other bits and bobs.

You may like to know that I work for Hozelock which is why i answered your post.

I am trying to persuade the powers at be here to market our food grade hose (yes we do make it) for the caravan and boating markets and as such we will have a few testers on sale at the NEC. If enough people show interest then we may market the stuff.

You will see "food grade" and "Potable" - they aint the same thing. Potable being the drinking water quality one (its all to do with euro regs etc etc blah blah- i wont bore you)

Will keep you posted.
Shout if anyone needs specific/more advice

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back