What type of connectors do the taps have in Aires? (1 Viewer)

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Will be taking new motporhome to france in the summer for the first time:france:

What type of connectors will i need to attach my fresh water refill hose to the taps at the aires:Confused:

I have what i would refer to as a standard british screw on adapter together with a universal clamp on style fitting. Will these suffice or do I need others?

Nigel

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Will be taking new motporhome to france in the summer for the first time:france:

What type of connectors will i need to attach my fresh water refill hose to the taps at the aires:Confused:

I have what i would refer to as a standard british screw on adapter together with a universal clamp on style fitting. Will these suffice or do I need others?

Nigel

2 thread sizes and one rubber with jubilee clip type arangement.

Oh, and a watering can for those strange ones where you can't get near enough or have a strange fitting.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be anything but i believe the more popular is the larger version of the threaded type we use.

could be wrong !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Assuming the aire has water then one of the three standard English ones usually fit but to be on the safe side we always have a 10 litre watering can with us

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hope you'll come & visit - just bring a funnel, we've got a well ::bigsmile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
As the above have said, we take a water container and I normally cut the bottom of a 2LT juice bottle and use it as a funnel if the hose connector doesn't fit.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
These two will be ok for about 99% of French taps - but take at least a couple of both as you're bound to leave one behind at one stop-over or another!

Attachments

• IMG_4124C.jpg
    IMG_4124C.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 53

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My kit. Most used in France is the grey one with or without the red adapter (red adapter is same as the yellow on the left)
. The grey/red can be bought in Carrefour about €3
hose%20adapters-XL.jpg

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
In general the standard English screw thread fits most bournes, at Honfleur we needed the next size up though.

A lot of places we have stayed at the last year or so have had the type of tap that you have to keep pushing in to get the water out if you follow that!! we have found that on most of these taps the spout tends to be a little larger in diameter and also a bit shorter making it difficult to get the old rubber type with the jubilee clip fixing to stay on the tap. So we always carry a collapsible two gallon bucket for those, and a funnel takes up no room at all.

Have seen quite a number of French motorhomers using a 35% drain pipe elbow with a few wraps of Duck tape round to make it a tight fit instead of the funnel. I might get one myself and give it a try save us both having to get wet if its raining filling up with the funnel.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Don't buy your hose adapters in Garden centres or DIY superstores - they're always cheaper on your local market from the bloke who sells tools.

I had a huge laugh last year with an aire water point that used the Hozelock-type plug in adapter - I didn't get it quite right and ended up with a 12 foot long horizontal jet of high pressure water spewing across the service bay, and very wet trousers. There's definitely a lot of variety, but most of the time I just use the jerry can.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've found a few use the 1" screw one which is larger than the largest standard hose fitting. It can be bought at a lot of garden type places though.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
As most have suggested it's best to buy a range of sizes and keep them in a box. We must have around 6 different types although usually only 2 are regularly used. The water can idea is a great tip and they do come in handy for short fills, top ups etc.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It's worth adding that the obvious advantage of a portable water container over any sort of hose is that you don't have to drive up to the aire service point, which can get very busy most mornings in the holiday season. Most service points have more fresh water taps than parking bays, so I usually pop across on foot with my jerry can and fill it using the spare tap. Likewise with emptying the grey water. I can't be arsed with queueing forever behind people turning their van's ablutions into a long-running drama series.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
water connectors on aires

They are a mixture. Take a multi connector and a watering can. PS aires are great,so are France passion stops. the French have it bang on for camper vans.
Gillnphil

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
water

we use Aires a lot and would never dream of filling my fresh water tank up even if it is free. After all someone has to pay for it i.e. the locals.
I carry a 10 L container and this does for drinks and washing up etc. Why do you need to carry a tank of water everywhere??

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Nigel

3 types 1/2"....3/4"....1".....But mainly... 3/4"...and some times the rubber push on fit:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back