What to use to clean brown spots off top of MH? (1 Viewer)

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Been away abroad for a month and now home find brown spots on roof of MH, think it maybe either from trees or perhaps sand, but it does not wash off easily , it does go if I scratch with a finger nail but thought someone may know of a cleaner that would be easier to use.
Any help appreciated
Etap

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Without seeing the offending spots its very hard to advise. Be extremely careful with what you apply as being on the roof anything you use may dribble down the side of the van and cause problems elsewhere.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Very good advice from Mike above....

I too would like to see a picture.. The golden rule in vehicle cleaning/ detailing is to use the least aggressive product required to reach our goals .. Many products that seem harmless can do very much damage.

Can I suggest using the thumbnail very gently if at all. Finishes can be far more delicate than you think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Yep had the same problem. take the radio on the roof with you and take your time :)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
roof just leave it it will eventually brake down sound's like organic mater I hah something simler after a winter it just wiped off what was left seemed to brake down
bill

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Have to disagree with HappyBrewer, if it is tree sap based the sooner you get it off the better

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
various tree saps and resins can be big trouble on the roof of motorhomes and caravans. you need to find as mild a solvent as possible then thoroughly clean and reseal as soon as possible. some tree saps can cause aluminium skins to corrode quickly due to chemical reaction. IF your van is the type with an aluminium skinned roof you need to clean it urgently

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We get a lot of tree sap & and mould on our roof, when not in the garage our van is parked under trees. I use very dilute bleach(Deosan) get it from a farmer, it's the stuff they clean milking equipment with & very cheap. Also use it for cleaning the mould etc of the patio area.

Broken Link Removed

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We had pine tree resin (orange) on our roof & remembered a strange tip on here which was to use baby wipes! They really did take most of it off with relative ease compared to all the other products we tried which was a bit worrying - they are also great for removing splattered flies.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I did mine last month, (same issue), spent all day up there with just a half bucket of water and some cleaning cloths. A fingernail pressed into the cloth works perfect.
Before that I tried so many products but nothing touched it!

OP
OP
etap

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Just to say thanks for your help everyone , I finally cleaned the roof of these spots by using a washing up brush nylon bristle and a cloth and finger nail, it took about 8 hours gave me neck ache but clean now I finished off with Mers polish fine job.
Etap

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back