Free Member
May 31, 2013
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Just looking at 5th wheel
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all, newbies here excited about getting on the road with a 5er. Still researching but currently favouring a Calder Kountrylite triple/quad slideout. Question is, what is the best Euro/Jap to tow with? Conventional wisdom says a Navara or Hi-Lux, but the latest offerings from VW (Amarok) and Ford (New Ranger) seem more appealing initially. Are these viable options from a hitch fit and turning point of view? Any idea on likely mpg from each? (auto in both cases and 3.2 V6 diesel in Ranger)
Any thoughts gratefully received
Thanks
Si & Gilly

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mitsubishi canter or a isuzu nqr or similar . mitzy as 3.9 diesel motor . mine is a seven seater . could be 4x4 isnt shame . but as its a cab over there is no bonnet sticking out makes it shorter and far easier to maneuver in tight places .
its probably smaller in size than alot of conventional pickups .

mikeman

Free Member
Apr 22, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel kountrylite
Exp
Started in VW Kombi in 1971
If you are going to buy a Kountrylite Alex at Calders will give you the best advice for his living trailers. Also remember that whatever tow vehicle you choose will need to be converted to tow the 5th wheel and Calders do all that too and will certify the work.
I tow my Kountrylite 26RK with a Toyota Hilux.
Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
As far as I know you cannot upplate the VW, it came to the market with a very low train weight 5500kg which VW have already uped once and its still only around 5700kg. Alex at Calder will give you the best advice, which i think for the quad or a tripple slide will be a Nav auto with a V6 engine which he will upplate, fit the hitch and do the paperwork.
From what i have heard this is unit of choice for a lot of 5ver owners

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
or use a canter or an isuzu no altering to the plating needed . easy conversion .and it works well.
mind i say dont go for any slides . nothing but a pain and means campsites rule for you .

Kasey

Free Member
Nov 10, 2011
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
since 2009
I agree with Chatter. However, I do like the spec of the NEW Ford Ranger 3.2 diesel. I test drove one and found it very good. Alex (at Calder) went on a promotion day for one and was impressed. The problem is getting one (or was) as they appeared to be like hen's teeth. Silly company not letting Alex have one as he may well have recommended the Ranger to 5ver owners.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
A definite one to look at would be the Nissan Titan. A larger, but more competent towing vehicle than a Navara. Navs are good, but do have some issues. The Titan is a completely different vehicle, relying on Nissans commercial truck bases. Old school indestructability in that sense.

Don't trust Fords personally, they are not what they used to be. Modern Ford engines require very regular servicing, and common parts keep failing with parts costing a considerable amount.

Amarok is a good truck in respect of a decent warranty, etc. VW have many issues with autoboxs, so would advise a manual, though engines go on and on.

Hi lux is a very good vehicle, holds value well and always performs.

Isuzu NQR/Mitsy Canters are extremely good vehicles. Don't be put off by the 'lorry' look to them. They are easy to drive, and fairly cheap to maintain. Mechanically, these things are proven - recovery companies use them, delivery companies use them and so on for good reason. Downside would be comfort compared to a 4X4. They are comfortable, but not luxurious as they are a work vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back