What to do with the house whilst we are away (1 Viewer)

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Who's to know we're abroad, whether in the van or not. We could well be touring the UK for 3 months and popping home for a few nights every 3 weeks or so. As it happens our son pops in, who's to say he doesn't stay there for a few days? I will check the policy and it may give us longer than 30 days but should the worst happen where would we live? Why in the van of course. :Smile:

Quite agree i,m surprised some people even go out .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Who's to know we're abroad, whether in the van or not. We could well be touring the UK for 3 months and popping home for a few nights every 3 weeks or so. As it happens our son pops in, who's to say he doesn't stay there for a few days? I will check the policy and it may give us longer than 30 days but should the worst happen where would we live? Why in the van of course. :Smile:

Insurance companies, contrary to what some people think, are NOT stupid ... I suppose it boils down to how good a 'fibber' you are and that you are willing to commit 'fraud' because basically that's what you are saying you would do if it came to it! :Eeek: They have assessors and they will ask a lot of questions, probably not only of you, but of the neighbours too ... how are you going to be able to convince all of them to tell porkies too???? That's not even taking into account anything else they can probably 'legally' check too which you aren't even aware of. Is it REALLY worth the risk! :Blush:

Going by how insurance companies check for paying out relatively small amounts nowadays, they will be VERY thorough in their checks if they are expected to pay out a heck of a lot more, of that you can be assured. If they can 'void' your policy rather than have to make a big pay out what do you think they'll do!

Link Removed

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Thank you for your concern and I'm well aware of what you're saying but I'lm not entering into an argument on the subject, it's for the OP to make his own arrangements I'm merely voicing my way of coping with subject and plan to carry on regardless. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Very easy if you go abroad, they just have to check your crossing tickets! :Eeek: I would NOT advise anyone to do what you are, it isn't as if you are going to just 'lose' a few quid ... if it goes up in smoke (and it does happen) you will have lost EVERYTHING and the insurance, quite rightly, will stipulate that you broke the contract with them so won't pay out ... :whatthe: So where will you live then???? :Doh:

I suggest you check your insurance policy before your next long trip and sort out either cover to provide for the longer trip, or put something in place (ie get someone to stay and be able to prove they did) to 'reset' the clock as it were so the cover period kicks in again.

As regards the OP, think long and hard about whether you NEED to let your house out as it can really cause a lot more problems than just leaving it locked up - for example tenants are not always careful/conscientious/reliable so the condition of your property could suffer, of you might find they don't pay the rent when it's due, or don't vacate when they should - it happens unfortunately. I have a rental bungalow which we bought new in 2006 and if I had known when I bought it what a nightmare it can be with tenants (3 lots) I would NOT do it again, if it HAD been our home there's no way I would have let it out.

Also 20% is steep for a letting agent - we pay 10% which I know is a good rate - but if you go abroad you will pay more as they will have to potentially manage more problems themselves so they sting you for it, which may explain why you are being quoted 20%.

You will also have to declare the rental income for tax purposes and also will have to insure it, have the gas check carried out annually and put a sum aside in case of repairs etc which may become necessary. If there isn't much difference in the finances for whether you let it, or not, personally I'd not rent it out.

I dont know how landlords make a profit listening to this so notifying the income tax would be a waste of time. BUSBY:roflmto:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I would start with doing a few trips for as long as you can with your insurance - 30 / 60 days at a time followed by a few where you travel the UK and pop in for a night or two before the limit expires and then continue on your journey. Once you have confirmed that all is OK with motorhoming, I would get the house ready for renting out - finishing any unfinished jobs, getting to know reliable trades people, getting rid of surplus stuff and being ruthless about what furniture etc. is worth putting into storage. I would then start speaking to agents. 20% fee (probably with VAT on top) is steep. 10% is not good but probably acceptable if you are travelling overseas. Based on my experiences, agents don't do a great deal for their money so don't expect too much from them; if the tenants are late with their rent, they may send a letter but they won't get too involved unless the rent is later than 21 days or so and then it will still be a letter. They can't / won't do much more. Everything they do, however, will have a fee associated with it and they don't always get you the best deal with the services that you use so costs will mount up. However, the do give a bit of assurance that you might appreciate.

You must assume that your house will not stay in the condition that you left it. The woodwork that you spent precious evenings and weekends decorating will probably not be pristine when you see it again. Your smooth as silk walls will have potmarks from picture hooks or blu-tack. Your immaculate garden boarders will be full of weeds. If you can cope with that, you could rent out.

I would check that my mortgage company will allow me to rent out and speak to my insurance broker to identify their requirements. If I was not using an agent (and I wouldn't) I would then get an EPC (energy performance certificate), arrange a gas safety certificate (to start a week or so before your tenants move in (assuming that you haven't had any issues with your boiler etc)) and possibly an electrical check. I would then find out how much to expect as a rental income and advertise the property myself on gumtree or similar. I would vet the tenants and undertake a credit check with a registered agency. If i was using an agent, I would hand over the keys and wait for them to deduct their fees of around £700 depending on their service bands and mark ups on safety certificates etc. to find the tenant and then around 10% every month to pass on the rent from the tenant to you. They would also charge approx 10% for every renewal (possibly annually or 6 monthly). My way, without the agency would cost approx £150 for the first time it is rented out and then around £30 for each subsequent renting + the gas safety check every 12 months). Once the tenant has been accepted, I would let them move in and keep a discrete eye on them for a couple of months whilst travelling the UK or living in a local camp site / caravan park. I would have my post redirected to a trusted family member or friend and get bills etc sent by email if they are not already.

If all is OK, I would make plans to travel overseas for longer but let the tenants know that I will be overseas for some but not all of the time so that they know not to expect an immediate response and to call designated numbers in the event of an issue arising. Once they have moved in. I would check my bank monthly statements online to confirm that the rent has been paid and send the trusted trades people in to fix problems if they arise. I would fly back from the sunny place I have parked up at and deal with bigger issues if they need quick attention.

I would return to the UK after a few months and check the property, deal with admin and see that the tenants are genuinely happy. If all is well, I would get back in the 'van and head off again.

If life on the road wasn't all that I expected, I would give the tenants 2 months notice (section 21) and move back home and bring it back to the standard I am happy with.

If all is OK on the road, I would travel until I had had enough and use the void periods between tenants moving out and new ones moving in to deal with household repairs and see friends and family.

I would try and ensure that I spent enough time in the UK to avoid losing entitlement to NHS care etc. but enough time away to enjoy life.

Whilst trying out whether motorhoming is for me on my initial 30 / 60 day trips, I wouldn't try and pretend that the house had been checked by someone when it hadn't - I would, in advance of my departure, engage a trusted cleaner, probably through a company with insurance and draw up a contract for them to work for me once a fortnight or so. I would continue to employ them to visit the property while I am away, coming in to the house for a refresh clean every 15 / 30 days or so. I would use this contract to show that the property had been visited as often as required by the insurance company in the event of a claim being required. I might do the same with a gardener so that the property / garden is visited every week / fortnight or so. I might consider retaining the gardener to visit once a month to do a garden tidy and keep an eye on the place while I am away on longer trips.

These are some of the things that I would do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back