what to do in Stratford upon Avon (1 Viewer)

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
We are there for a week at the show. We need to keep a 5 year old entertained and so need to know of a few places to visit.

So if anyone knows of anything your help will be appreciated

we have spotted the butterfly farm which looks good

http://www.butterflyfarm.co.uk/attraction/index.php

stew

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The walk into town is very pleasant, about 15 minutes along the river, you can cross the river on an old chain raft. The town has plenty to see and do.

Lots of photos to be had, so make it a busmans holiday Stew and take your camera

RSTfromCloptonBridge_500.jpg

OP
OP
artona

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Sounds a good plan Jim. And we will have have a spare child ticket for the butterfly farm if Katie wants to be Jessica's sister for the day :Cool::Cool:

stew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Brass rubbing in the gardens along from the RST (towards the chain-pulled ferry).
Occasionally at weekends, the old part of KES (King Edward VI School) is open to the public for a small contribution to school funds. Access via the small gate in the High Street, not the main school entrance in Chapel Lane. Here you can see the original school room where it is believed Shakespeare studied.
A walk up to the Welcome Monument is suitably tiring for a small person and there is plenty of open ground for picnics and ball games.
Take a rowing boat on the river - available from close to Clopton Bridge (that's the old stone one carrying the road to Oxford & Banbury).
There is a decent children's play area with swings and paddling pool etc., near the cricket club and car park on the east side of the river.
I guess you have looked at this already, but here is a link to the official "what's on" listing.
Link Removed

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Went to the show last year, went to the butterfly farm, very good ,i would recomend it , it is easy to locate at the head of the river, have a good un..........Del :Smile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
There are boat rides on the river and there is a bus tour of the city that you can get on and off as you please - I believe its run by stagecoach.

Take the little ones, pushbike, pedalcar, trike etc as the footpath along the river bank is a pleasant walk but the legs might last longer using wheels xxxxx

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Also worth considering the Black Country Museum at Dudley - not very far away - lots to interest kids there also if you sign the covenent on entry you get free entry for 12 month period - all you have to pay is the car park fee (£1 I think) - took grandson there a couple of years ago kept him quiet all day :ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
send the child over to see Ezzie

Send the child over to our gentle giant .. Ezzie the St Bernard loves children..

has two for breakfast and one for tea.. except when being fed treats..

Seriously she loves children and likes to be stroked

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard:Eeek:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I always overlook the delights of the Midlands - having been born here and resident my whole life, there are also quite a few NT properties and open spaces in the area (we have the NT book in the van if you want a browse), the train line serves Brum and I think Oxford but don't quote me on the latter as I never start from SuA, it's still a destination for us except when on the way to the Cotswolds, Evesham etc.

One for JJ here, not the same as Fray Bentos to be sure (but rather nicer I've always thought!) - and quite close to SuA. Also have a skittle alley, sometimes have the Morris men in attendance and in a lovely setting although unless they've widened the road quite a lot while I've not been looking, perhaps not the best place for a convoy of motorhomes LOL

Link Removed

OP
OP
artona

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Send the child over to our gentle giant .. Ezzie the St Bernard loves children..

has two for breakfast and one for tea.. except when being fed treats..

Seriously she loves children and likes to be stroked

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard:Eeek:

The only bit we will not have to do is "send her", dogs are like a magnet to her :Smile::Smile:

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
bored in Stratford!!

NT Charlecote deer park, house and gardens.
Coughton Court house and gardens - connected with the gun powder plot.
Hidcote gardens are prestigeous gardens,
Snowshill manor - collection of old 'things'
English Heritage Kenilworth castle - Ruined already so kids can run riot, tower and turrets.

Private homes - Ragley hall, stately home, sculpture trail, gardens adventure park, lake, wooded walks and Peacocks ( We have cheap tickets for Ragley available on request)

Broadway - Typical cotswold village, decent tea shop.
Broadway tower - Beacon on the hill, tea rooms, on clear day you can see Wales
Alcester - Free roman museum, small but interesting
Worcester - Commandery Museum of the civil war
Edge hill and others - Civil war battle sites
Various fossil pits/sites,
Bidford on Avon - Bungo's Barn, play zone for children upto we think 10.
Moreton in the marsh - Aircraft museum
Leamington Spa has ten pin bowling,
Hatton world - Craft shopping village and animal farm
Hatton locks - Flight of 15 ish locks near Warwick
Stratford canal and river, cycle path,

And if you get really desperate you could always pop around for tea and coffee

Should be enough to keep you busy for a day or two, (just looking on google for them)
All of the above are tried and tested by Lynne with the help of her Children and Grandchildren.

See you all soon:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back