what to do about the spare keys ?

Discussion in 'Solo travellers' started by campa cola, Apr 7, 2013.

1. campa cola

campa cola Funster

As a new solo motorhomer I am wondering what other solos do about a spare set of keys ? When my partner was around she had a spare set for car/caravan etc. But now I am solo I am wondering what the best solution to having a spare set is? I am not good with keys, so recently I have mine chained to me most of the time like I have always done with my wallet :Rofl1: (and I have'nt lost one for decades...touch wood). But I still think having a spare set of keys is a good idea, I dont want to be stuck anywhere in euroland without any....

Campa:thumb:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Aldi have a line in external key boxes with a combination lock on offer at present. Perhaps something like that mounted in an out of sight position might be useful.

3. DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

As a confirmed " lockmyselfoutofvehicleholic" I've gotten into the habit of always having a spare door key in my wallet,all the other spares can just stay safely in the vehicle.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

I have a spare hab door key hidden external and.a.spare set of ignition keys hidden inside
    And yes I did lock myself out

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Have a spare set of keys very well hidden inside the motorhome, then... Hide just a single door key somewhere on the outside of your vehicle, in a magnet box underneath, hidden inside tail lights fridge vents, taped to the roof. Secure it well as hopefully it will remain in place and un-used for years.

This way you ensure that no matter what happens you can always get in and get to your spares and without the loss ruining your day/holiday etc.

• Like Like x 7
  6. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

(y)

7. Granjan

Granjan Funster

:( Just made an expensive mistake with this we secured very tightly and unobtrusively a spare Key under chassis with bags, tape, cable ties when we went to France last summer ... this in turn would open locker and further ignition key was hidden away.
    Took MH for chassis inspection and service, forgot Key still hidden before it went. Remembered whilst it was away, checked on return a few days later key gone and wrappings thrown away on our drive. The MH is now having all new locks probably a couple of hundred quid to replace.

8. Borderland

Borderland Funster

There was a case recently of a surfer on the south coast with the same idea but his vehicle was stolen and the insurance company refused to pay out because of where he had left the key. May be worth checking with your insurance company.
    I heard one suggestion of getting a basic non programmable key cut so that you can hide the immobiliser key in the locked vehicle. The idea being that the basic key doesn't require a large fob for the electronics and easily slips into wallet. Would again need to check with insurance company on this.

9. DonA4000

DonA4000 Funster

I ask my insurance company and they said that any key safe has to be attached to the vehicle! I was thinking of one of those padlock key safe and attach it to the chassis.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Borderland

Borderland Funster

And if you lose the padlock key :unsure:

11. chaser

chaser Funster

I know to my cost, well my firms cost, that if you havnt got both keys your insurance won't pay out, so if one goes with the van you are stuffed!

12. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

There are so many places you can secret a key around the motorhome - it does not have to be a door key it could be a locker key for instance then you can secret vehicle door keys to gain access and then have a full spare set in a safe in the vehicle. Don't forget that it you have a 'blip' that the battery needs changing and many vehicles these days use a rolling code system - if a spare set is not used occasionally then it may not work

13. Borderland

Borderland Funster

I have seen this problem reported on a TV program a while ago when an insurance company refused to pay out but what happens if there is only one key when you purchase the vehicle, it may be hard to prove this.

14. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

I'll check out that Aldi box, need one for home hidden somewhere safe as my 27 year old irresponsible son is forever forgetting/losing keys!

Thanks Jim for your suggestion about the fridge vent - great idea

15. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Oh dear I can see a spate of events where people have their fridge vents ripped off.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I have four sets of keys for my motorhome.

• Like Like x 3
  17. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

I've not yet "solved" the problem apart from being careful but a problem I do have as well is what do you do with an electronic key when you want to go swimming. I dare not risk getting it wet in a "waterproof" bag/container and I can't leave it with anyone or anywhere on dry land! Welcome to solo world!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Borderland

Borderland Funster

Would it be possible to get a basic non electronic key cut that will only open the vehicle door and give you access to the electronic key (hidden in the vehicle). As previously mentioned, not sure how your insurance company would react to this in event of a claim.

19. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

I like jims idea of using the fridge vents, plenty of places to hide a key but accessible if needed, my spare key will be moved from the chassis as soon as I get home(y)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Busman

Busman Funster

I have a spare door key hidden outside and starter keys hidden inside also have a imobiliser fitted so if by some chance you do find both sets of keys you would still need the code to start engine