what to do about the spare keys ? (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
As a new solo motorhomer I am wondering what other solos do about a spare set of keys ? When my partner was around she had a spare set for car/caravan etc. But now I am solo I am wondering what the best solution to having a spare set is? I am not good with keys, so recently I have mine chained to me most of the time like I have always done with my wallet :ROFLMAO: (and I have'nt lost one for decades...touch wood). But I still think having a spare set of keys is a good idea, I dont want to be stuck anywhere in euroland without any....

Campa:thumb:

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Aldi have a line in external key boxes with a combination lock on offer at present. Perhaps something like that mounted in an out of sight position might be useful.

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
As a confirmed " lockmyselfoutofvehicleholic" I've gotten into the habit of always having a spare door key in my wallet,all the other spares can just stay safely in the vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Have a spare set of keys very well hidden inside the motorhome, then... Hide just a single door key somewhere on the outside of your vehicle, in a magnet box underneath, hidden inside tail lights fridge vents, taped to the roof. Secure it well as hopefully it will remain in place and un-used for years.

This way you ensure that no matter what happens you can always get in and get to your spares and without the loss ruining your day/holiday etc.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
:( Just made an expensive mistake with this we secured very tightly and unobtrusively a spare Key under chassis with bags, tape, cable ties when we went to France last summer ... this in turn would open locker and further ignition key was hidden away.
Took MH for chassis inspection and service, forgot Key still hidden before it went. Remembered whilst it was away, checked on return a few days later key gone and wrappings thrown away on our drive. The MH is now having all new locks probably a couple of hundred quid to replace.

Deleted User
Aldi have a line in external key boxes with a combination lock on offer at present. Perhaps something like that mounted in an out of sight position might be useful.
There was a case recently of a surfer on the south coast with the same idea but his vehicle was stolen and the insurance company refused to pay out because of where he had left the key. May be worth checking with your insurance company.
I heard one suggestion of getting a basic non programmable key cut so that you can hide the immobiliser key in the locked vehicle. The idea being that the basic key doesn't require a large fob for the electronics and easily slips into wallet. Would again need to check with insurance company on this.

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
I ask my insurance company and they said that any key safe has to be attached to the vehicle! I was thinking of one of those padlock key safe and attach it to the chassis.

Deleted User
I ask my insurance company and they said that any key safe has to be attached to the vehicle! I was thinking of one of those padlock key safe and attach it to the chassis.
And if you lose the padlock key :unsure:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know to my cost, well my firms cost, that if you havnt got both keys your insurance won't pay out, so if one goes with the van you are stuffed!

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
There are so many places you can secret a key around the motorhome - it does not have to be a door key it could be a locker key for instance then you can secret vehicle door keys to gain access and then have a full spare set in a safe in the vehicle. Don't forget that it you have a 'blip' that the battery needs changing and many vehicles these days use a rolling code system - if a spare set is not used occasionally then it may not work

Deleted User
I know to my cost, well my firms cost, that if you havnt got both keys your insurance won't pay out, so if one goes with the van you are stuffed!
I have seen this problem reported on a TV program a while ago when an insurance company refused to pay out but what happens if there is only one key when you purchase the vehicle, it may be hard to prove this.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I'll check out that Aldi box, need one for home hidden somewhere safe as my 27 year old irresponsible son is forever forgetting/losing keys!

Thanks Jim for your suggestion about the fridge vent - great idea

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I've not yet "solved" the problem apart from being careful but a problem I do have as well is what do you do with an electronic key when you want to go swimming. I dare not risk getting it wet in a "waterproof" bag/container and I can't leave it with anyone or anywhere on dry land! Welcome to solo world!

Deleted User
I've not yet "solved" the problem apart from being careful but a problem I do have as well is what do you do with an electronic key when you want to go swimming. I dare not risk getting it wet in a "waterproof" bag/container and I can't leave it with anyone or anywhere on dry land! Welcome to solo world!
Would it be possible to get a basic non electronic key cut that will only open the vehicle door and give you access to the electronic key (hidden in the vehicle). As previously mentioned, not sure how your insurance company would react to this in event of a claim.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
I have a spare door key hidden outside and starter keys hidden inside also have a imobiliser fitted so if by some chance you do find both sets of keys you would still need the code to start engine

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have seen this problem reported on a TV program a while ago when an insurance company refused to pay out but what happens if there is only one key when you purchase the vehicle, it may be hard to prove this.
Believe me this is true, had a tranny nicked, while I was loading it at the rear, my fault had been having my dinner in the van at a wholesalers, waiting for stuff and had the key in for the radio when the guy from the shop came out with the stuff, I just jumped out to open the back door and it just went in front of me , anyway didn't make no odds what we said to the insurance , no two keys , no payout.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you are touring with another motorhome, its always good practise to give them a spare set they can hide in their motorhome for safekeeping. I would suggest that everyone has at least 3 of every keys.

Anyone with some tools and an imagination can find places to hide a spare set that will never be found. And even if you got lucky and found my keys, they'd be no good to you :)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Spare key ?...........
upload_2015-4-22_8-29-2.jpeg
(y)

25 year old Renault Trafic

Easy to break into, serves as ignition key, no immobiliser

Thief has to think..... Is it worth stealing? ..It's so old will it start, if it starts will it breakdown? ....Not many still about - so it's easy to spot - worth nothing as spares (not many about)....Owner must be poor - not worth breaking into
:)

Seriously though I still wouldn't want it broken into or nicked:)

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I used to have my spare keys in a coded key holder hidden under the chassis - until my insurance came up for renewal this year and I noticed under exclusions "loss or damage arising from theft while the ignition keys of your motor caravan have been left in or on your vehicle". I ended up with a different insurance company this year but they still have the same term in their exclusions.

So basically I have to take both keys with me when I go out for the day as the breakdown policy requires the spare key to be taken on holiday with you.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I used to have my spare keys in a coded key holder hidden under the chassis - until my insurance came up for renewal this year and I noticed under exclusions "loss or damage arising from theft while the ignition keys of your motor caravan have been left in or on your vehicle". I ended up with a different insurance company this year but they still have the same term in their exclusions.

So basically I have to take both keys with me when I go out for the day as the breakdown policy requires the spare key to be taken on holiday with you.
Swat I said(y):)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
When we bought our Auto Sleeper Broadway new last year I hid 2 keys in magnetic boxes under the rear chassis. Later I decided to get a tow bar fitted at Derby towbars and I forgot to remove hidden keys.
When we went back to pick the van up the owner of Derby towbars gave me my keys and said "oh by the way I found these under your van whilst fitting the towbar".

John.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Insurance companies have always had that exclusion, in fact I've never seen a policy without it. On a frosty morning, people start the car on the drive to warm up and defrost and pop back in the house for a cuppa, car gone and insurance won't pay. Same for delivery drivers, workmen, or filling up at service stations etc. Leave the keys in it and your insurance wont pay.

It's all about risk and managing it. Theres more chance of me losing my keys on holiday than someone breaking in and finding my keys in the van. (if they are even hidden there) Thats a risk I'm prepared to take. But it's calculated as even if you have my keys, without my permission to use them they are useless and you cannot steal my motorhome with them. But then Security is my business, and if my van gets nicked it would be rather embarrassing.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

mmmm.... what if a previous owner hid spare keys outside?

......everyone............start looking

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I hope this thread doesn't give anyone idea's??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back