What to carry for if you get stuck in the mud (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We are shortly to head off to France for our first big trip in our new moho. We have already had a few wheels spins with the mud on our own drive and wondered what people took with them to free up mud spinning tyres if you happen to encounter it. Clearly we won't be choosing to camp in a soggy field but it could happen anyway. Any tips?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The above is one reason why I would NEVER let ANYONE borrow our van ... sister in law asked hubby once .... NO! Don't think she was expecting such a resounding reply!!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
@Minxy Girl
I think I am much more likely to get the moho stuck in the mud than anyone else in the family!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
designed for the job
Broken Link Removed

sandladders £33 inc post for 2
The pair I ordered as a result of your recommendation arrived today - nice, confidence inspiring, kit. Thanks.

I normally tow a Smartie on a trailer so carrying them isn't an issue. They are large and quite heavy so anyone contemplating purchase needs to consider where they'll carry them.

Upvote 0

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
Try the matting that is used in Council play parks, ie the stuff they place at the bottom of slides. I have one that is cut up into 4 pieces, about 4 foot long by 15 inches wide They are about an inch thick. I haven't seen anything on my travels that beats them. I uses them all the time even in summer, and they sit nicely between the driver and passenger seats, when not in use. vehicle, citroen relay van conversion.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Try the matting that is used in Council play parks, ie the stuff they place at the bottom of slides. I have one that is cut up into 4 pieces, about 4 foot long by 15 inches wide They are about an inch thick. I haven't seen anything on my travels that beats them. I uses them all the time even in summer, and they sit nicely between the driver and passenger seats, when not in use. vehicle, citroen relay van conversion.
Sounds good Scottie, but where do we get the matting from? Have you got a link please?

Cheers,

Jock.:)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Try the matting that is used in Council play parks, ie the stuff they place at the bottom of slides. I have one that is cut up into 4 pieces, about 4 foot long by 15 inches wide They are about an inch thick. I haven't seen anything on my travels that beats them.

Sounds good Scottie, but where do we get the matting from? Have you got a link please?

Cheers,

Jock.:)
Not wishing to cast aspersions but .... think about it .... :whistle:

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Not wishing to cast aspersions but .... think about it .... :whistle:
I'm no longer a Local Authority employee Mel, so don't have access to a source of materials, and I'm not really that desperate enough find a local play park, whereupon I can extract the rubber matting. :rofl:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I've hit a set of these from EBay.
They pack into a small canvas carry bag.
They're snow chains designed for a car/van so good for mud.
They come in difference sizes and are easy to fit.

image.jpg

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
snow chains work well in mud however, when you discover you need them, invariably the wheels tyres and arches are smothered in mud. its a VERY messy job fitting and removing chains in mud

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I've hit a set of these from EBay.
They pack into a small canvas carry bag.
They're snow chains designed for a car/van so good for mud.
They come in difference sizes and are easy to fit.

View attachment 96774

Last time I saw them used in the mud, the first sign of any traction and they went ping, ping, ping, ping and all flew off, possibly should have been a couple more ping's but you get my drift.

Martin

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I'm hoping you won't even need to consider fitting them at Chester Gav. :eek:

See you there. ;)

Cheers,

Jock.
So am I Jock - we had to be towed on last year on arrival as the front end dug in.
I blame the missus as she was sat up front at the time! (But don't tell her that :D:D)
See you there (you'll hear us coming as we have the Talliban leader with us - 2.5 year old daughter, going on 22!):cry:

Upvote 0

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
When I had just bought our van I parked it on grass facing downhill. Wrong thing to do! Had just spent ages cleaning it and when I tried to reverse it...well, guess what? In the end the man who sited the statics on site brought a couple of those huge boards they use and after much struggling, mud spraying and blue smoke, blue air managed get out. Van with aforesaid mud sprayed all up nice clean sides. Two dirty great ruts in the ground. Answer: a) don't get stuck in first place b) if you do, any of the previous suggestions on here. My Fiamma boards just shot out from under, fortunately no one was near to get whacked by one. I couldn't even get towed out as there was nothing on the rear of the van to hook on to

Upvote 0

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
We rented a m/h 7 years ago as a try out.After our 1st overnight @Pitlochry,we needed their tractor to pull us off.Later that same week ( such fun! ) it took not one but two Landrovers two extricate us from the mud of Applecross during a rather wet August.:cool:

Upvote 0

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
You can use your starter motor for getting out of mud

You do need a strong battery though, just start the engine in gear and it may be enough to get you unstuck, 2nd gear rather than first.

Good technique if you drive into a flood and kill the engine.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Well I have most of the gear posted above save the tracmats, but trying to roll onto the traction mats spun wheels now bogged down. So, if you have all the gear doesn't mean you ain't gonna get stuck. Still peeing down so will try to find a friendly tractor driver in the morning. Grass is reasonably dry they said. :ROFLMAO: And I believed them. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

yoko118118

Free Member
Mar 26, 2016
Wolverhampton
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Hi Jac I brought a pair from eBay £9.99 a yellow set had to use them yesterday here at Weston Park well worth the money. With the weather forecast will be using them to get off as well on Monday lol.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Having read this thread today and had a chuckle I think I have found the ultimate solution to the problem in Landry France, this morning (my son has a Defender). No mats required!

Defender MotorhomeA.jpg

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well I have most of the gear posted above save the tracmats, but trying to roll onto the traction mats spun wheels now bogged down. So, if you have all the gear doesn't mean you ain't gonna get stuck.

Tracmats should be used to park the van on BEFORE it rains.. not afterwards.. they won't sink, and unless conditions are really bad you should be able to drive off with enough forward motion not to get bogged down..

so there is no ambiguity.. these are Tracmats

Broken Link Removed

these are Fiamma, IMO and experience, a waste of money

grip_track_exp_01.jpg

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Tracmats should be used to park the van on BEFORE it rains.. not afterwards.. they won't sink, and unless conditions are really bad you should be able to drive off with enough forward motion not to get bogged down..

these are Fiamma, IMO and experience, a waste of money

grip_track_exp_01.jpg
Couldn't agree more. They were great for the folding camper but useless for the MH. I needed to be pulled onto my traction mats and they worked really well. Didn't chance driving so booked farmer Mike and he made very light work of it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
image.jpg
So glad we took advice from here and bought track mats. We are in Langres France and it's been raining for hours. We just used the trac mats to help a guy get his massive Knaus van off the soggy grass. They were very grateful. It showed us they work a treat and hopefully racked up some good karma for us being helped in the future!!

Upvote 0

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I got some trackmats off Ebay last week, I (touch wood) have never been stuck yet !:whistle: but this year we are going to use more CL/CS sites so wanted to be prepared, going to park with them under the driving wheels.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Have to say we were very happy to be able to rescue a huge van that got stuck on the grass in Langres France using the sand ladders recommended here!
Whoops senior moment!
Already reported that !

Upvote 0

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
Having been stuck a few times we saw these , www.griptrack.co.uk , on a stall at the Peterborough show and bought them on impulse . Have not used them yet but they look like they should do the job.
I

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
What to carry if you are going to be stuck in the mud?
-
-
-
-
-
-
Something very large, and green, with large knobbly tyres, diesel, about 350hp minimum, and with JOHN DEERE written in large letters along the bonnet.:hi5::cheers:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back