LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Your mode of transport shouldn't reflect your attitudes to others, and in many years of riding bikes and going to rallies I have never had any trouble. At a bike rally, with bands etc, you expect to be up partying until late, but with a group of mates on a public campsite we, like your Aussie bikers, would be considerate to everyone around us.

That doesn't mean that you don't get inconsiderate bikers, they're a mix of people like any other group.

The only out-and-out discrimination I've ever come across was a miserable git of a landlord up in a pub in the Forest of Bowland, who refused to serve me purely on account of arriving on a bike .

Oh yes, and a very German campsite owner, who was fit to explode that we dared to move our bikes during "Mittagspause" - our fault, cultural ignorance meant that we had no idea what Mittagspause was - but she was truly a sight to behold, bright red in the face, waving her arms around and ranting about the English like a German Basil Fawlty, with us all stood there like little lambs with the bike engines idling quietly wondering what the hell had got into this woman and why was she so upset that we were trying to leave her campsite at just after midday..........

The national park that I worked in was popular for families and hikers. Having 30 hogs turn up was completely unexpected - but what was more unexpected was the fact that they really seemed to value what the park was about - far more so than the families that caused issues. I know who I would have rather shared a stubby or two with.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We often comment 'why is it always the deaf ( apologies to the true deaf and hard of hearing) b******s that have no taste in music As they drive by with boom, boom, boom vibrating the entire street?

We live in a quiet country location and quite frankly if it isn't bird song at this time of night. I don't want to hear it! It is rude and inconsiderate.

Barbara Hughes

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
You don't want to be next to me then on site while I'm blasting Black Sabbath out :rofl:..... I don't think 9.50 pm is excessive as long as it's at a sensible volume...:imoutahere:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I don't think 9.50 pm is excessive as long as it's at a sensible volume...

agreed.. if only YOU can hear it..

if it can be heard outside your van and on adjacent pitch .. irrespective of time of day, .. its' too loud.. end of story .

why should anyone have to suffer the noise of another's music..

it's anti-social and unneeded.. if you like it loud buy head phones..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I was reluctant to say anything on this as I will come across a a grumpy old man. However, I have recently realised I am a grumpy old man so here goes.

If I can hear anyone's music or TV at any time of the day it annoys me.

So there, that's how grumpy I am. :)

Deleted User
I was reluctant to say anything on this as I will come across a a grumpy old man. However, I have recently realised I am a grumpy old man so here goes.

If I can hear anyone's music or TV at any time of the day it annoys me.

So there, that's how grumpy I am. :)

Ditto :)

And it's surprising how annoying people talking inside an awning can be, especially if your bedroom window is right next to it:)............silence!!!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
If you can hear it over your own TV in your own van it is too loud at anytime

I would certainly agree and would suggest a softly softly approach with perhaps the illustration of not being able to hear your own TV is a good example as to how loud it is.

I am not a killjoy but not everyone has the same taste in music and kids may be kept awake which will make them grouchy if they don't get their full amount of sleep.

If you don't want to complain then I would think that the task could be put to the wardens.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Years and years ago, before the advent of mobile phones, we camped on a quality commercial site in North Devon with our 2 kids and friends and their kids all sharing our caravan and awning with add-on awning tents. The kids were all under 5.

When either the club shut or they got back from a local pub there was a very audible argument that quickly turned into an aggressive issue of domestic violence. He was clearly drunk and was expecting his wife or partner to participate in sex with him. She was not a willing participant and was going to get a beating as a result. It was an old caravan and at least one of its glass windows was smashed. Ian and I discussed intervening to protect her but we decided that our wives and kids came first and legged it up to the site office who called the police. He was carted off and she was asked to leave the next day.

Just make sure of what you might be walking into if you decide to intervene yourselves and what trouble you could bring on your family and potential damage to your MoHo.

If you read the local press court reports you will find that there are an awful lot of people who lose control when drunk and get very aggressive and who think nothing of beating their wife, partner, girlfriend or kids whilst heavily under the influence.

This may be seen as a post over the top in relation to the original post in this topic but I hope it serves as something to think about if you ever have the misfortune to experience something like this. Nowadays a mobile phone call to the police would have hopefully brought a quicker response in the circumstances.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
@Abacist I know where you're coming from here. Intervening can be a huge risk when somebody's at that stage. A friend of mine was ironing when her husband came home drunk, he assaulted her with the iron and permanently blinded her.
Hopefully this level of drunkenness/ violence is rare on campsites but even at a lower level repercussions can be drastic.
Somebody simply being thoughtless is less of a hazard, and with care and respect (on both sides) can usually be dealt with face-to-face, but as you say judgements have to be made. I tend to dislike mobile phones but they can be useful for contacting not just police but also site wardens.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
@Abacist I know where you're coming from here. Intervening can be a huge risk when somebody's at that stage. A friend of mine was ironing when her husband came home drunk, he assaulted her with the iron and permanently blinded her.
Hopefully this level of drunkenness/ violence is rare on campsites but even at a lower level repercussions can be drastic.
Somebody simply being thoughtless is less of a hazard, and with care and respect (on both sides) can usually be dealt with face-to-face, but as you say judgements have to be made. I tend to dislike mobile phones but they can be useful for contacting not just police but also site wardens.

Its been my only such experience in about 30 years of tenting, caravanning and Motorhoming so its rare but there are unpleasant people about and drink usually makes them worse.

If I was abroad on an aire or a stellplatz I'd just move on rather than make an issue of it and because of the added language barrier/difficulties.

Discretion is the better part of valour when possible in my view.

Barbara Hughes

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
Well all I can say that these sites pitches can't be much fun if your awning is placed so close to the other motorhome that you can't even talk of an evening ...I will need space obviously to be able to enjoy my motorhoming to the full

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
At the risk of being on my own with this, I don't care if it's noisy. I just take no notice and carry on doing whatever. When I'm away, I happily roll over and go to sleep or enjoy the music.

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Erm is now a good time to mention that two 10 inch bass speakers have just jumped in my van followed by an amp :whistle:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Son was camped next to a family whose music tastes included a lot of swearing. Not something he wanted his toddlers to hear. Discussed problem with other camper a day agreed to have an hour each of their preferred music. After 10 minutes of classical music they moved tent to another spot. No animosity just a good result for both sets of campers.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Son was camped next to a family whose music tastes included a lot of swearing. Not something he wanted his toddlers to hear. Discussed problem with other camper a day agreed to have an hour each of their preferred music. After 10 minutes of classical music they moved tent to another spot. No animosity just a good result for both sets of campers.
Brilliant!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I am completely deaf in one ear and have partial hearing in the other and am always aware that I may have my "noise" turned up too loud so prefer to use headphones.

Many sites I have stayed on have a noise curfew of 10pm which is probably about right for most - if you can hear music etc from two pitches away then it is too loud - unless you have very sensitive hearing of course.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back