What Time To Turn Music Off? (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Bleeding 'ell, hijacked by the miserable club i.e. Cc. If your still up watching your own tv what's the issue? I expect your neighbours can also hear yours as you are in a motorhome not a house, what's it coming to if folks are moaning cause they can't enjoy their own none silent pastimes?

What it comes to is, if you can't hear your tv inside your van over the noise of someone else's music, their music is too bloody loud and as has been said some consideration is needed, not to say common decency. There is nothing miserable about that surely. Whatever time of day it might be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
was anyone in the van? music left on for the dog or it barks when they are out?
Steve

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Wonder if the warden would have done the same if it was a couple of 70 odd year olds enjoying music at 4 in the afternoon :)
I would expect a bit more consideration from grown ups.
Personal taste in music should be kept personal not broadcast across site. It's bad enough on building sites with every numpty tuning their radio to a different station AND trying to outdo each other in volume

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
It's bad enough on building sites with every numpty tuning their radio to a different station AND trying to outdo each other in volume[/QUOTE]

I had a great answer to that b*****ks, if in a multi storey, Bung the offending radio out the nearest window.
If single storey, drop something heavy on it.
Sure, there would be a bit of friction, but word soon passed around the site.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We had a brill time on an aire last year in France - parked next to us was a Brit Swift belonging to a chap of a similar age so our doors faced. We both had MP4s with teensy portable speakers, we both had awnings, so one of us put their awning out and when the sun moved (it was ruddy hot, you needed at some points) the other did, and we also shared each other's music! Started off with music in the van and doors both open, whichever one said 'Hope that's not too loud?' other one said, 'No, love it!' and that was that. I hasten to add, it was never loud enough so it could be heard more than just a few steps away.

Deleted User
I would expect a bit more consideration from grown ups.
Personal taste in music should be kept personal not broadcast across site. It's bad enough on building sites with every numpty tuning their radio to a different station AND trying to outdo each other in volume
No mention was made of volume, or broadcasting across the site, just that two teenager started playing music.
The response from the warden seemed to be based on their age.
Just because people have different tastes in music doesn't make it ok to ban it.
If it's warm and windows are open you can hear everything on sites, babies crying, dogs barking, people talking and yes music and Tv.
Everyone lets there hair down once in while, celebrating, birthdays, footy etc. It's not like it's 24 7 365'days. :D

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
"I'm so sorry to disturb you but would you mind turning the music down a bit, or maybe using headphones now that it's after ten? The kids/ grandkids are trying to get to sleep, and we don't want them to start screaming when they get really tired, it sets the dogs off howling and THAT goes on all night....."
How about cutting the EHU cable and putting a BIG sticker across the wind screen of the van
NOISY NEIGHBOUR
.... As an aside I'm always in bed by 9:00pm so am always worth parking next to if you want a peaceful nights sleep

Deleted User
U
What it comes to is, if you can't hear your tv inside your van over the noise of someone else's music, their music is too bloody loud and as has been said some consideration is needed, not to say common decency. There is nothing miserable about that surely. Whatever time of day it might be.
Maybe their tv was on very low. If the music was really so loud from two vans away they couldn't hear tv inside their van it would have effected a whole lot of other vans too, yet there did not appear to be any complaining made to the occupants of the van, or the site warden.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
, yet there did not appear to be any complaining made to the occupants of the van, or the site warden
Too scared of confrontation.....some folks worry what will happen if they complain but it doesnt mean they arent bothered by it.
and the site wardens very rarely patrol the sites at night, even if on duty, so probably never knew there was a problem.

Deleted User
Too scared of confrontation.....some folks worry what will happen if they complain but it doesnt mean they arent bothered by it.
and the site wardens very rarely patrol the sites at night, even if on duty, so probably never knew there was a problem.
Maybe , but if it was that loud, would it not have effected a whole lot of folks, lots of people sticking there heads,out of their doors?

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
.... As an aside I'm always in bed by 9:00pm so am always worth parking next to if you want a peaceful nights sleep[/QUOTE said:
Really pleased that we have the pitch next to you at Carnon Downs!

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time

Aha! but whose the other joker on the other side eh? Could it be?????????

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
No mention was made of volume, or broadcasting across the site, just that two teenager started playing music.
The response from the warden seemed to be based on their age.
Just because people have different tastes in music doesn't make it ok to ban it.
If it's warm and windows are open you can hear everything on sites, babies crying, dogs barking, people talking and yes music and Tv.
Everyone lets there hair down once in while, celebrating, birthdays, footy etc. It's not like it's 24 7 365'days. :D

What is an acceptable level of noise? Some people seem to think that their TV, music etc needs to be at a level far higher than others and some have different ideas of what time to turn their noise down. If you were watching TV that was loud enough to be heard at 10pm in a van two pitches away, would you be happy if those occupants started their music at such a level at 8am?

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
The best bit of this - the owner of the van playing the music loudly was out walking her mut at the time.
Maybe she forgot her iPod and still wanted to listen to her music whilst taking her yapper for a crap?
Who knows?
However, just to answer some points - other neighbours (elderly) didn't have any lights on in their motorhomes, so either in bed, out visiting or maybe they were in the empty party van. Maybe they crept in whilst owner out with the dog?
Anyway, it didn't totally spoil our visit and yes, we're up for partying into the small hours, but not at the moment with a toddler in tow and not to the detriment of others.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
U
Maybe their tv was on very low. If the music was really so loud from two vans away they couldn't hear tv inside their van it would have effected a whole lot of other vans too, yet there did not appear to be any complaining made to the occupants of the van, or the site warden.

You could not possibly know either that the OP's TV was very low or that anyone complained to the occupants or the warden. What we do know is what the OP stated quite clearly. The volume of the music was at an unacceptable level. Whatever volume the OP's tv was. As least he was apparently showing some consideration for others. Which should always be the case, shouln't it?

Deleted User
You could not possibly know either that the OP's TV was very low or that anyone complained to the occupants or the warden. What we do know is what the OP stated quite clearly. The volume of the music was at an unacceptable level. Whatever volume the OP's tv was. As least he was apparently showing some consideration for others. Which should always be the case, shouln't it?
Hence the use of the words maybe and did not appear :D
As the OP also mentioned he has a youngster, so perhaps a low TV would be more for their benefit, as not to wake it? Than others.
But of course you are correct we should all try to accommodate others, personally I don't think it was too late for a Sat night :)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Would think any time you can not hear tour own TV because of someone else's noise it's to loud.

Never forget we were at Silverstone Camping in a tent (very last time we used one) quite a few years ago about 1am in the morning everyone was settling down to sleep except for some little Herbert in a Caravan who thought it funny to keep reciting nursery rhymes over and over, and playing music now been quite a lot of big guys around thought some one may tell them to shut up but no. Then my Eddie who is quite happy go lucky most of the time and I don't think in 50 years I have hardly heard him use bad language .

All of a sudden he jumped up shouted very loudly if they did not shut the F*** up he would be around and put the music where it would be difficult to retrieve it. Everything suddenly went quiet and a cheer went up from the tents around us, I sat there wide eyed then all was quiet and we got to sleep.

Deleted User
The best bit of this - the owner of the van playing the music loudly was out walking her mut at the time.
Maybe she forgot her iPod and still wanted to listen to her music whilst taking her yapper for a crap?
Who knows?
However, just to answer some points - other neighbours (elderly) didn't have any lights on in their motorhomes, so either in bed, out visiting or maybe they were in the empty party van. Maybe they crept in whilst owner out with the dog?
Anyway, it didn't totally spoil our visit and yes, we're up for partying into the small hours, but not at the moment with a toddler in tow and not to the detriment of others.
Well poor dog too, imagine how bad it must have been for it's ears.
There is no accounting for what some folks think is accepted and what other don't. Hopefully it was a one off incident. :)

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
On bikers rally`s............. if music wasn`t coming out of your tent at 3 - 4am.... you were not enjoying yourselves... :(

Or perhaps you were.... :RollEyes::wink:

Whatever do you mean Old-mo?
1_4_123.gif

Deleted User
What is an acceptable level of noise? Some people seem to think that their TV, music etc needs to be at a level far higher than others and some have different ideas of what time to turn their noise down. If you were watching TV that was loud enough to be heard at 10pm in a van two pitches away, would you be happy if those occupants started their music at such a level at 8am?
To be totally honest 8am not a problem for us. We are up at 6.
On a Sat night unlikely to be home watching Tv at 10pm.
Exceptional noise of course shouldn't be the norm, but we all have different ideas of what the norm is.
I wouldn't have a problem with music, tv, parties going on until Midnight on a weekend either at home or away. :)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Acceptable level of music at 10pm? Acceptable level of noise at 8am, acceptable level of shouting children at 3pm, dogs barking at 6pm, loud chatting outside...
A campsite is a shared facility. What's 'reasonable' to you isn't necessarily for someone else. But provided some nuisance doesn't contravene specific rules, then one has to live with it... or move (the beauty of a Motorhome).

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
To be totally honest 8am not a problem for us. We are up at 6.
On a Sat night unlikely to be home watching Tv at 10pm.
Exceptional noise of course shouldn't be the norm, but we all have different ideas of what the norm is.
I wouldn't have a problem with music, tv, parties going on until Midnight on a weekend either at home or away. :)

Interesting perspective. I agree about exceptional noise not being the norm but wouldn't want to be kept awake by noise until midnight on weekends. I guess it depends on the type of site too; we prefer quieter sites and wild camp as much as possible - they tend not to have parties and TVs going on so late.

Deleted User
Interesting perspective. I agree about exceptional noise not being the norm but wouldn't want to be kept awake by noise until midnight on weekends. I guess it depends on the type of site too; we prefer quieter sites and wild camp as much as possible - they tend not to have parties and TVs going on so late.
We like quiet remote location too, ideally nxt to a beach :)
I guess it also depends on home, we are both used to living in communal properties, messes and most of our owned properties have been apartments, so we are probably immune to a lot of noise that would drive others mad :)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I don't like being forced to listen to any else's music, no matter what it is or what the time is, on a public campsite - it's just plain inconsiderate. I have my music on in the van, but you can't hear it outside. If you want it loud, wear headphones.

On the other hand, go to a public event like a bike rally and you expect some noise. Which reminds me of a bike rally years ago, The Farmyard I think it was, up near Scarborough. You expect noise until well into the small hours, but one year some numpty started revving the nuts off his bike at about 4 am, once the vast majority were asleep. The bike had loud pipes, the rally is in a valley, and the noise of his engine bouncing off the rev limiter was deafening - until after about a minute, when it suddenly stopped with a very expensive sounding "bang", and one of the biggest cheers I've ever heard went up from all around the valley.......

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
On bikers rally`s............. if music wasn`t coming out of your tent at 3 - 4am.... you were not enjoying yourselves... :(

Or perhaps you were.... :RollEyes::wink:

In my youth, I was a wildlife ranger in a national park in Australia. One Friday afternoon, the peace was shattered by a gang of bikers arriving on their hogs and heading to the campsite. I got on my Honda 250 and went to investigate. They turned out to be the perfect guests - went for walks in the park, were in bed and silent by 10pm and off hiking again by 8am. It was the middle aged, middle class families on the site that caused me grief that weekend with loud music, excessive campfires and chasing the wildlife.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
In my youth, I was a wildlife ranger in a national park in Australia. One Friday afternoon, the peace was shattered by a gang of bikers arriving on their hogs and heading to the campsite. I got on my Honda 250 and went to investigate. They turned out to be the perfect guests - went for walks in the park, were in bed and silent by 10pm and off hiking again by 8am. It was the middle aged, middle class families on the site that caused me grief that weekend with loud music, excessive campfires and chasing the wildlife.

Your mode of transport shouldn't reflect your attitudes to others, and in many years of riding bikes and going to rallies I have never had any trouble. At a bike rally, with bands etc, you expect to be up partying until late, but with a group of mates on a public campsite we, like your Aussie bikers, would be considerate to everyone around us.

That doesn't mean that you don't get inconsiderate bikers, they're a mix of people like any other group.

The only out-and-out discrimination I've ever come across was a miserable git of a landlord up in a pub in the Forest of Bowland, who refused to serve me purely on account of arriving on a bike .

Oh yes, and a very German campsite owner, who was fit to explode that we dared to move our bikes during "Mittagspause" - our fault, cultural ignorance meant that we had no idea what Mittagspause was - but she was truly a sight to behold, bright red in the face, waving her arms around and ranting about the English like a German Basil Fawlty, with us all stood there like little lambs with the bike engines idling quietly wondering what the hell had got into this woman and why was she so upset that we were trying to leave her campsite at just after midday..........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back