What Speed do you get from your Satellite Internet? (1 Viewer)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi All,
I rely totally on Internet by Satellite both at home as I live in rural France where Broadband is not possible and in the Motorhome while travelling, I just move the satellite modem between the two.
I have been with BeyondDSL since November and my speed has gone down from about 3Mbs max to 2 to 5 Kbs which is less than dial-up. I pay £36.95 for 10Mbs speed and 10 Gb total data per month but this includes £7 for unlimited use between 11pm & 7am which is what attracted me to their package.
I have had a six week ordeal with their Technical Department who are useless, they do not answer the question asked and just keep saying "Oh well there is a high contention ratio at the moment" Even at 3 to 4 am when the green light is showing on their website for low traffic, I have never even got close to their advertised speed.
So... Who do you use and what speed do you get and for how much. @Jim great article seemed to suggest that he could run his business and his daughter could do her online school work easily with his system. I am struggling to run my business which now must use internet by law for Vat, Tax etc. both in the UK and here in France so I desperately need a better solution. Fiddling about with MiFi and various data sims is not viable compared to a Satellite system in my situation, if only I could get close to the advertised speed. But they all use the same satellite so why is mine so bad.
Thanks for reading,
Steve

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use BroadbandEverywhere, I've had no need to use their tech support yet. My contract is up next month and I'll be shopping around because they are not the cheapest. We've used it extensively, even outside the advertised footprint. Sometimes it's slow but most of the time fast enough to not cause any frustration. I don't know enough about the process or how much my setup plays a part but for me it just works. I'm in my kitchen right and just logged on to my satellite to post this.

This post was made via my Oyster Internet system :)

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I use BroadbandEverywhere, ....... My contract is up next month and I'll be shopping around because they are not the cheapest. ......... most of the time fast enough to not cause any frustration.

Thanks Jim, £60 per month is certainly not the cheapest but if what you get is usable then it is better than the dial-up speed that I get for £37. and some months I use my 10Gb and have to reset for another £18 so £55.
I just like my package if only I could find out why my system is so slow. After all yours comes from the same Satellite beam it just depends on who is doing the metering I presume. A bit like electric in the UK it all comes from the same cables just charged by different providers.

@shawn&emma I saw that thread but it is so old I presumed everybody had got sorted or given up in disgust. And I wanted to widen it so other Satellite users could comment on their systems.

Out of interest, does anybody know whether Internet by Satellite is regulated by OFFCOM and whether it is worth a formal complaint to them. We all know that internet providers lie about the actual speed they provide but what I get is beyond a joke.
Steve

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Like @Jim I use BroadbandEverywhere and although it's been reliable so far the speed is no where near what's advertised. I have the unlimited data £60 package which should give 6Mbs but usually only get between 1Mbs and 2Mbs. Very occasionally I get between 4Mbs and 5Mbs. Things get a lot worse once I've gone above 3gb of data usage. I can just about work remotely with those speeds. I use a vpn connection to get to a client site and use their Exchange server for email with most audio using WebEx. I also run a softphone which can be a bit hit or miss.
Although it's expensive I would pay more for a sensibly/consistent speed as I could then spend more time away in the motorhome while still working. Currently I need to pick times when I don't expect to spend hours each day on the phone while sharing desktops with colleagues.

Allan

Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hello Steve, the thread I mentioned only started on the 26/07/16, I know things move on fast but blimey thats only a week ago and not so old lol.

Sounds like I may be on the same package as you. KU band, astra 3. At the moment £29.95 per month increasing to £37.95 per month. Just had a look at the equivalent package on BroadbandEverywhere and that would be the Easy10 package at £57 per month. Perhaps my £37.95 is not so bad after all.

Im sure you do but do you check the settings on the dish regularly. Mines mounted to the back of the van and in some strong winds does move slightly. I take the laptop on to the roof and plug it in and do any adjustments to get it as sharp as possible. Im right on the edge of the footprint and my readings are around 63dBHZ, EsNO around 13, and around 27db on the pol reading which are all low probably due to where we are on the footprint but still regularly get around 6mbps.

I emailed Satellite Internet yesterday asking when my 7 day cancelation date would be and for the first time in all the times I've tried to contact them someone has come back to me and they now think its 'vital' we speak about the issues lol.

I agree with you on the mifi/sims options. I set the dish up as we do travel to places where there is no phone signal so saw it as the only option, and sad as it sounds we can't live without internet.

Saying that things with the likes of mobil coverage have improved in the 18 months I've been using the dish so always worth keeping an eye on the situation there. Where we stayed before only 2 years ago in Portugal there was no mobil service at all but now I can sit quiet happy inside with the mifi sitting on the table with a good 3bar 3g signal and as the speediest shows a round 3.5mbps down and 1mbps up and thats inside a building with 2ft granite block walls all for E20 and 30g for thirty days. Unfortunately where we are staying till October is just tucked behind a hill and I can't get a mobile signal there so the dish is king.

Will watch with interest how things go
Shawn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hello Steve, the thread I mentioned only started on the 26/07/16,

OOPS!! the date I looked at was the joining date of the last poster:oops:
I have just emailed Customer Services asking for a full copy of my support ticket so I can make a formal complaint to Trading Standards and OFFCOM not holding breath though.
My average speed is 2 to 3 kB/sec so 5,000 times slower than advertised and I am at home so am using the fixed dish on the house.
I am getting -34.3 dBm with Es/N0: 15.4 dB the Xpol test is showing green with a figure of 33.6989. Unfortunately the CNo test page on their website fails with a 404 error so I cannot do that test.
All better than yours so I should be getting as good as you. I hadn't thought of setting it up with the laptop using those figures do they change as you move the dish or have to keep re-scanning. I just used the supplied bleeper.
I got the Teleco System working fine and locking on with auto search though then stupidly bought another van at Peterborough so I now have to go through the same procedure modifying the Oyster system on the new van. I have just received the special cable from china at £1 per mtr rather than the £50 that Oyster wanted so another job on the list before we depart for winter. That's the subject of another thread though: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...ld-coax-cable-used-on-oyster-sat-dish.133719/
I haven't had that email mentioned in the other thread possibly as I am on a years contract. That is a big hike though for a non service. That would make my cost £45 per month with the £7 overnight if that stay's the same. But as you say if I can get my speed up it is the only real solution.
Steve

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Steve, On the subject of speed my sataliteinternet service can be slow at times but I dont tend to monitor it other than judge by whether Radio 4 starts stuttering! For the most part our service has been OK, even at extended footprint locations although as I have reported when on the edge I get some odd scenarios. I am wondering what dish you have, I have the Oyster with the auto skew which when I was checking out which system to have was declared a must have by several dealers. On the subject of price when I was advised of the upcoming rape by sataliteinternet I was very angry however looking around getting a Ku service is more difficult as some ISP's seem to have given it up and as it has been highlighted here the equivalents are more expensive. I am waiting for Nathan at Conrads to come back next week to see what other options are available. I too will be watching this thread.
Michael

Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As you say all your readings are stronger than mine so should be fine. I use the buzzer to get to a certain point then just keep tweaking and rescanning till i get as good as I can which does take a little time.

This is part of the email we received:

REVISED MONTHLY ACCOUNT OPTION PRICING FOR ALL CUSTOMERS

Option Name Old Price inc VAT New Price inc VAT Change

FreeZone Option £7.00 per month £7.00 per month No Change

VOIP Option £7.00 per month £9.00 per month + £2.00

REVISED MONTHLY PACKAGE PRICING FOR KU BAND CUSTOMERS

Package Name Old Price inc VAT New Price inc VAT Change

4M3 £15.95 per month £15.95 per month No Change
10M5 £24.95 per month £27.95 per month + £3.00
10M10 £29.95 per month £37.95 per month + £8.00

4M3 Data Reset £10.00 per use £10.00 per use No Change
10M5 Data Reset £15.00 per use £18.00 per use + £3.00
10M10 Data Reset £18.00 per use £24.00 per use + £6.00

I guess the 'FreeZone' is what you call the overnight so no change there but the reset that I also use at times has a big hike of £6

Unless I am reading it incorrectly the price increase is to everyone wether your on a monthly or yearly contract.

Extract from their T&C

24.Termination of Contract
24.1. This contract may be ended;

24.2. by either Subscriber or BeyonDSL after the Minimum Contract Period, by giving 30 days' notice (the Minimum Notice Period)

24.3. by Subscriber giving BeyonDSL 7 days' notice if BeyonDSL gives Subscriber notice to increase the charges or changes the conditions of this Contract to Subscriber's detriment and provided Subscriber gives the notice before the increase or changes take effect.

For me it looks like because they are given notice of increase I can give 7 days notice of termination.

Shawn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
For me it looks like because they are given notice of increase I can give 7 days notice of termination. Shawn
I think you are right about the 7 days as they have increased the price, as long as you give notice before the change comes take effect.
The previous paragraph I read as not applying to me as I have an annual contract so will come into force next January. Which is probably why I have not received the email.
As you say I have slightly better connection figures so there is no reason why I shouldn't get the speed.
I tried changing my router today with no effect so the only other thing I can think of is that the Modem is faulty.
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back