What size

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by norty, Nov 7, 2012.

1. norty

norty Read Only Funster

Hi all, me and the wife are planning to rent a motorhome for our first time to tour Scotland next year for a couple of weeks.

The plan roughly is to the Cairngorms, head over to Skye then Applecross (not sure about going the pass of the cattle route mind you) and keep upo going the west coast.
    So with all that in mind and never driven a motorhome before what size do you think I ought to consider 6m, 6.5m or 7m long?
    In real terms is there a lot of difference on the tight Scotish roads in driving a 6m or 7m van?

Many Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. ukbill

ukbill Funster

never been to scotland so as far as the roads go i cant help there but as for size i would always go for a 4 berth low profile and possibly a fixed bed giving 2 people plenty of room have a good trip

3. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

I,m sure you,re going to get all the advice going pretty soon.
    I did a tour of scotland in or around 1973.Bedford CA van conversion.windows and 2 seater bed settee in the back 2 burner stove .Wild camped wherever and had a great time.The roads then were single track with passing places which we were using,most others doing the same thing were in the veedubs etc.I would say as its your first time ,keep it small and managable.Watch out for the "wee beasties":BigGrin:

4. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

I spent six weeks in your intended area with a 7 metre moho. No serious problems just remember that you're a tourist and to give way to almost every other vehicle on the road as they will usually be working.
    I found that most other drivers were polite and helpful and readily pulled into passing places when the saw us approaching on single carriageways. The roads are usually very quiet but can be in bad repair in places.

5. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Scotland

Hi, Norty We did this trip a few years back in a 6.5 m van No problems but spoke to a few lads on a site in Oban who had a hired van and their wing mirror had been smashed completely by a white van man who never even stopped :Angry:so my advice is to give way every time as you are on holiday :Smile:some roads are just too narrow to allow two vehicles to pass safely:thumb:

6. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

We go to Scotland every year, we have a 8 mtr van and never had any problems, apart from Applecross Pass (Pass of Cattle) a bit hairy, bit of shunting to go round some of the bends.
    Are you using campsites or wilding it, if you want some beautiful sleepyspots PM me.

7. Gunner29

Gunner29 Read Only Funster

panel van

If it's only for 2 weeks consider a panel van.

8. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

Should not have any problems whatever length you choose, yes single track in places but you are on holiday, take your time, enjoy the views and allow traffic to overtake by using passing places. WATCH out for white van man coming towards you as always in a hurry.

9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

we did 3 weeks there last year, as already said a lot of narrow and single track roads I'd advise taking a spare mirror/glass just in case, lost two of mine. wilding is easy, people generally excellent and welcoming. the midges if you go up the West coast I'm told are ferocious, we went up as far as fort william then crossed the great divide to Inverness and carried on up to john o' groats, coming back down the centre and avoided the wee beasties altogether. Though we took loads of "Avon, oh so soft" with us just in case.
    Our van is 7 mtrs and length never a problem. Enjoy, don't just get a van for this trip after all Fance will be next, hee hee so get one you are comfortable in with a decent payload.

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I've toured all over Scotland with caravans and motorhomes.. even with a 36ft RV .. From my experience, when it come to narrow roads, (and there are plenty) site access etc, width is more critical than length.

To 'go anywhere' park up anywhere, do a bit of 'wilding', and have a relaxed time driving I'd have a panel van conversion ..

11. norty

norty Read Only Funster

Many thanks everyone, what they say about this site being friendly and helpful are smack on:Smile: