What size van to down size to?????

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by colyboy, Mar 24, 2016.

1. colyboy

colyboy Funster

We (I) feel it time to down size, at present we have a Hobby Siesta 650 7m long.
    Lovely van with fixed bed and LOADS of storage space separate shower etc. I think if we do down size we will miss the storage space. We tend to stay away a maximum of 3 months so need good storage. I am thinking of a van conversion and am looking for the largest van there is with good storage. Would not mind single beds but don't want the hassle of making up beds.

Any suggestions!

colyboy

2. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Stick with what you've got! Very hard to beat loads of storage and a fixed bed (y)

• Like Like x 4
  3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Yes. Don't do it. After a proper job van a PVC would feel like your coffin. On top of that they seem so expensive.

• Like Like x 3
  4. nobby &noo

nobby &noo Funster

storage in a pvc is a problem i had a lwb sprinter still over 6mtrs long but narrow and cramped everything in the way all the time.Now got a burstner 695 only a few feet longer but the extra width is the big bonus for me.Its not about the length lol

• Like Like x 3
  5. The Wino

The Wino Funster

But why do you want to downsize?

6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You could ask yourself why you need the storage. Our next trip will be nearly three months and the only extra stuff we will take will be tea bags, muesli and dog food.

Our PVC admittedly doesn't have a lot compared to a MH with a garage etc but I fitted a back box on it and things like folding chairs and levelling ramps go on it. However, you can get our model now based on the Fiat XL chassis which has a storage area behind one of the rear doors - but no fixed bed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Recently saw a Lunar PVC on Braithwaite Fold C&CC site. It was on a Merc chassis and was some length. Not sure of the layout other than the bathroom was at the rear with a separate circular shower - only know this cos the rear doors were open when I walked passed! Would be interested to see the interior.

Edit: just checked and the van is over 7 mt long!! Not much of a down size!!!!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  8. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I would stick with what you have ...panel vans are fine if you buy german loads of storage under rear beds...in all the years we have had them do not miss downsizing from a coachbuilt for one minute!lol the opposite in fact....just make sure you get 636 length van....

Next van if there is one when wife retires will be a A class around 6.5 meters. Hymer or Carthago. just want to go back to a fully winterised van for more adventurous destinations again, with bikes inboard

Eddie

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

My Autocruise Alto has a fixed rear bed which gives me plenty of storage. The downsize however is that the lounge is a tad small and the shower next to useless. Neither of which is a problem for me as there is just me and the dog, and I tend to use sites with facilities. If I was away for any length of time then a small trailer or box on the tow bar would be a consideration.

10. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

strange Ive allways fanced bigger, same layout but longer, I suppose we all use our vans in differant ways hence differant needs

11. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

Our vline 620 is 5.99m, fixed rear bed, big exterior boot area. We removed the front small sofa/bench and had more storage built leaving bags of floor space, lots of overhead lockers. Converted rear wardrobe under bed to shelfs fits more in. Fitted a rail across the bottom of the rear transverse bed, it's high enough to hang clothing with a gap underneath where your feet go ( we do sleep opposite way as the headboard end had no overhead cupboard, so rail goes here. Gives 120 cm of hanging space. Removed bulky shower door replacing with a concertina one.
    Of course it means we have drilled holes, and it will never look like an original again, but I'm fairly confident if it was viewed next to an original ours would win hands down.
    Fits two adults, Nige is 6ft 3", and 3 large dogs.

Lin :)

12. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

We downsized last year and have lived in the PV for 6 months since the purchase.

It has a bit less storage than our old fixed Bed (not much less though) and the shower is no longer separate.

However the lounge is massive in comparison to old Rapido dinette, as is the bed (once you've spent an agonising 2 mins converting it!!) the shower is fine (we both use it daily) and you can park it where you like and not worry to much about the old foreign town centre wrong turns incidents.

We wouldn't go back to a "bigger" van (or consider anything you couldn't lounge in properly)

Horses for courses and all that, if only it was German ;)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Our downsize to the 6.5m B544 has worked perfectly. The double floor with lockers from outside and hatches in the floor give loads of storage and the kitchen unit drawers are massive as well as plenty of wardrobe space.
    Toilet and shower with hinged wall works well and stacks of lounge space with twin sofas.
    The drop down bed we keep made up so seconds to lower for use.
    A really spacious 21 footer.

• Like Like x 2
  14. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
  15. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

• Like Like x 1
  16. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

We manage with this layout on a 6.3m PVC, we have a fixed bed, two bikes inboard and a lot of kayaking kit in the garage.

Love the layout but could not recommend the converter!

Attached Files:

17. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  18. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster

Although double bed, how about the Hymer Van? Think it's about 5.5m long, double transverse bed over garage but lounge IMHO is where the compromise is to get it all into such a small package.

19. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

How ironic, I was perusing videos on YouTube last night, and one of the topics that came up was downsizing your motorhome. There was a review on the Autosleeper Symbol, looked to be a heck of a lot of van in a very small space!

20. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

And to paraphrase Scottie of Star Trek fame, 'ya canna alter the laws of physics' !
    A heck of a lot of van in a small space still equates to a heck of a lot of stuff in a small space !! :)
    Havingsaid that,k we too have been looking to the future and may well down size in a few years time ( only due to licence etc etc )
    We have been looking at some of the older Hymer A class vans @colyboy.
    For vehicles under 3.5t they seem to have massive living areas and offer a very good solution

• Like Like x 2