What size MH

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Coastal Cruiser., Apr 27, 2016.

1. Coastal Cruiser.

Coastal Cruiser. Funster

Hi all,

Been lurking for a while but thought it was time to join and ask a few questions.

Am looking at buying a new A Class in August/September, started looking early as it is a lot to think about and I would like to get it right 1st time.

At the moment 2 of the vehicles I am looking at are 8.5m long the others 9 and 9.3.
    Looking some campsites it seems that anything over 8m seems to be an issue especially the ones I have seen in Italy.

Is there any issues with ferries on over the 9m length.

Thanks and no doubt I will be asking more questions!

• Like Like x 1
  2. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Welcome on board.... You are now officially not a lurk ;)

Certainly a good thing to do your research as you clearly have done and the A class gives a lot of space (we have one but only 7metres). Quite a few people will be interested in other people's experiences of large MH's on the continent - certainly not something that we had considered. Best of luck(y)

3. Zepp

Zepp Funster

We have a 8.75m A Class Motorhome and we love it but the next one we get will be a 7.5 we wont have to think will we fit on the pitch or get into the aire .

• Like Like x 1
  4. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

i may be able to let you know how we get on next month, going over to france and just using aires.
    we are 10.4 m by the way

• Like Like x 1
  5. PhilG

PhilG Funster

Ferries are sub 7m and sub 10M .. if you cant measure very well, you can save a bit of money. I would buy what you like , rather than what you you think will fit on places you havent been yet. If you go to coastal places , size might be tight , but i have never had issues with getting on places.

6. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Don't worry about which one as you will get it wrong anyway and change it, probably.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PhilG

PhilG Funster

Talking from experience ?

8. JimboT

JimboT Funster

I would not buy a motorhome over 8m long as well as some UK site don't want you!
    Jim

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Depends on what sort of camping you'll do. A lot of campsites take up to 8 metres as pitches are marked out.
    A lot of the 5 van sites are fields so it won't really matter.
    Some of the Aires abroad won't fit you, but others will.
    Big van for a starter??
    Would you be better off buying second hand so you can decide what you really need??
    Most change their first van, as what you think you need and what you should have might differ lol

• Like Like x 1
  10. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

just bloody discrination, bloody cc and c&cc:reel::imoutahere:

11. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Yes, it's only when you have used it for a few months that you realise that it's not quite right. On the 6th and final one now though as it's my own conversion that's it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Interestingly the Brittany Ferries website only have choices of MH length going up to 9m but their ferries take trucks and buses so I guess you just need to ring them to make a booking. Other companies may be the same.

Assuming you have worked out what you want to do with your MH and are happy to ring ahead or do some research before each move to avoid drama then go for it. I've been on plenty of sites and aires where you would really struggle to find space but then you probably wouldn't want to go to the same places. :) However, I've also been on aires where a big vehicle would be no problem.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Personally would keep under 7 metres if you intend to follow the sun most living spent outside anyway......

• Like Like x 3
  14. Granjan

Granjan Funster

Hi CC we bought a 9.2 metre A class new nearly 3 years ago and still have and love it. We use the sat nav on lorry setting and this generally keeps us out of trouble, though it is never up to date enough to avoid everything! I do try and miss roads that have a 3.5 ton limit but somehow we often end up driving right through towns and cities. We have survived so far.
    We tend to move every 3 or 4 days parking up and then getting around and about on our electric bikes. There are obviously some limitations to where we go and not every site or aire can accomodate us but there seem to be plenty enough that can. We could happily loose a bit of length and still be very comfortable, our next van might be around 8.5m. We are off to Italy in June and have booked our sites. We wont be going on the Amalfi drive! The ferries can be a bit more expensive and we are too large for some. You often have to book by phone. The tunnel is cheap as length is irrelevant. All tolls to date class 2. Watch out for and make sure you understand the issue of payload. It can be tempting to carry lots of gear because you seem to have the space, it is easy to overload. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. PhilG

PhilG Funster

Jesus.. does 'not quite right' take 6 goes to fix. I guess im less fussy than most, and my needs are space and payload, im not a 'details ' type.. i know someone who changed a camper to get a bigger fridge.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

We changed from a caravan 4 years ago now and as our first motorhome we bought a 8.5 metre A class, no problem with ferries but yes it is a bit big for some spots on camp sites and Aires but we always get where we want to be without any real problems. We are still with the same van over 4 years later and keep saying when we change we will go closer to 8 metres but then can't see anything we like better and don't really want to compromise on the space, either living space or garage space.

The one thing I would say is that once you have had the space it's difficult to give it up.

Martin

I should add that we never phone ahead or particularly plan where we are going and have never failed to get into a camp site or aire.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  17. Kim H

Kim H Funster Life Member

Hi and welcome @Coastal Cruiser. Like you, we lurked for a while and soaked up information before joining. We bought a 7.4m Hymer 5 years ago as our first motorhome. We hoped to buy once and buy smart. We still own that same motorhome now, so I guess we bought smart. We have thought about changing, but can't find anything that gives us more, apart from more 'toys' although hubby still keeps looking :whistle: We both agree that some features would be lovely to have, but we find that our van is plenty big enough and can fit on any campsite or Aire.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  18. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I assume this isn't your first van? If it is I wouldn't contemplate new because it will not be a keeper. For a first van buy something that you think you want but also something popular and easy to sell on. Because you will sell it on. Minor layout issues aren't apparent unless you are very experienced and some become intensely annoying after a couple of weeks of use.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Kim H

Kim H Funster Life Member

Must admit that I missed the 'new' bit! Totally agree I would never buy a new van as a first van. I'm not even sure I'd buy a new van now!

• Like Like x 1
  20. wigster

wigster Funster

:welcome4:, I lurked studied and enjoyed fun till I was ready to buy. This place taught me so much I can never say thank you enough to all of the posters whose posts helped me .
    I decided to buy a larger van than I was planning on buying and I'm glad I did.
    I've got a 7.4 m van. I bought second hand as a first van. I'm three weeks into our first trip and not had a problem getting onto sites etc but some of the roads I've been down to get to them have been tight . Every thing about motorhomes is a compromise , I love the room and the payload in the van I purchased. The downside of a big van is you have to plan more and cant drive to exactly where you want to visit.
    You are probably going to buy a much more expensive van than me but I live in the same town as you and your more than welcome to come and see how big on the road the vans are (y)

• Like Like x 3