What size is my regulator?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by jimothy, Apr 22, 2012.

1. jimothy

jimothy Read Only Funster

Hey ho. Tis me again.

Next question: I need gas, I have a butane regulator, but when I've looked at butane cylinders I have the choice of ones for 20mm or 21mm regulator. Eh?

I've measured various bits of my regulator - which bit of it is 20 or 21mm?? not that i reckon i could accurately determine with my steel ruler which i had anyway!

If it's any clue, it came attached to an empty Campingaz 6lb butane cylinder.

Rather stupidly IMO the regulator is of a screw-in design that means that you have to twizzle the entire thing, and being attached to the hose makes this a little tricky! I removed the empty cylinder by turning the cylinder - not so easy if it wasa full 7kg one! :thumb:

Thanks once again :Smile:

Jamie

2. jimothy

OK, I think I have identified the source of my confustication - is a camping gaz regulator different to a proper regulator anyway? and therefore that's why it doesn't look like a 20,mm or a 21mm valve? Probably he swiped the big cylinder and regulator before he sold it, and replaced it with a little camping kit.

So I've ordered a new propane regulator. At least I know where i am then. Seemed the easiest solution.

3. ciderman

ciderman Funster

good idea because it means you will have gas all year round by using propane

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

But do you have a propane cylinder ?

5. jimothy

Not yet :Smile: but my house runs on 47kg cylinders, so I'll just add a 6kg one to my next delivery. Sorted.

6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

have you got enough room to tke a bigger bottle as the small ones are expensive on gas.13kg would be better if possible .

7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the deposit on calor cylinders is ridiculously expensive, so it would be cheaper to buy an empty 6kg off gumtree or ebay and get that refilled. I havent paid a deposit for years, but last time I did it was nearly £30 plus the gas. If you lose the paperwork, you cant claim back the deposit, thats why empty cylinders change hands at a cost

8. jimothy

I'm hoping that they won't charge me a deposit on the 6kg, I don't always swap them an empty for a new 47 and it's been fine... I inherited the account when I moved in so also inherited whatever deposit had been paid historically.

fingers-crossed they won't notice a new cylinder on the account.... :Blush:

9. jimothy

Update!

I tried to sneak the 6kg onto my regular order, but got rumbled and was informed there'd be a 30 quid deposit on the 6kg cyclinder as I dind't have an empty to return. Boo :cry:

BUT, when she read back the total to me it seemed to lack the additional charge... so I kept schtum, handed over my credit card details...

I just checked the internet banking for my pending transactions, and sure enough 70-odd quid which would be about right for just the 47 plus the 6, and no extra charge. result. :thumb:

I love it when a plan comes together.

10. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Now thats a question i ask my wife offed put she never tells the truth:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: