What size Generator (2 Viewers)

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Um, you were the one who started the so-called 'slagging off' - though I don't see it like that. ::bigsmile:

So apparently it's ok for you to respond to an issue raised by the thread without answering the exact question posed - but not me. :RollEyes:

Incidentally, I do have a generator - so maybe you're not so clear on the facts as you'd like to think. I use it to charge my batteries when we've had a spell of bad weather that the solar can't keep up with. No way would I run it continuously to power the fridge. That would just be silly. :Smile:

I didn't slag anyone off. Just noted that it would be nice if threads about generators didn't degenerate into why people wanted / needed them.

You responded very early on in the thread in direct response to the OPs question. I responded later to other responses - that isn't quite the same.

I guess we all use equipment how we want to - it may be ill advised to run a fridge from a generator but someone may do that if using it for other things as well for a while. We are all different. :Eeek:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
If, I start up my 5.5kw Onan, apparently acording to the manufacturer quiet, generator, you will not want to be anywhere near me. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
generators

The only steam generated is from you.......you are, to put it in psychological terminology, projecting...... You went off like a rocket about how people using generators were generally upsetting people wanting peace and quiet etc.......

All I did was point out that there are alternatives if you are so anti-generator, not that you HAVE to do anything at all. But people are still entitled to own and run generators just as they are to have children or pets which may be perfectly well behaved or nasty, anti-social people just like the parents /owners. It takes all sorts. A bit more tolerance perhaps for the fact we are all different? :Eeek:

"Went off like rocket", I hardly think so, I pointed out my experience and if you read my answer again you will find that at no time did I suggest that you were anything other than a considerate user, or that you did not have the right to use a generator. Neither did I suggest people using generators were generally upsetting people, I mentioned the behaviour of one individual only, not tarring all uses with the same brush. I have never suggested that people should not own and run generators, merely commented in their manner of use as I described.

I also mentioned the potential for generators to annoy which I would have thought is obvious to those who use them and why some users, like yourself, state that they use them considerately. It must be also be obvious to you that some people may use generators without consideration and that those are the ones that cause annoyance. For example, a person arriving on a site or aire and immediately starting a generator which others can hear can hardly expect to be invited round for a drink and should not be surprised if using the generator at night he gets a knock on the door accompanied with a few choice words.

I have never suggested that people should not own and run generators, merely commented in their manner of use as I described.

Noisy children and dogs, although I see the analogy is an entirely different subject and has it's own threads. This was about generators.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I am looking at getting a generator, but I know nothing about them at all. So, could any of you guy's advise me as to what size I would need. Thank you in anticipation.

NOW SEE WHAT YOU'VE GONE AND DONE.......Fancy coming to a community full of like minded people and asking a question like that, next you'll be asking about which gas bottles, or worse still.....A Frames :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I think I can safely say people would rather I used my tiny Hyundai generator for an hour than my split charge relay with the engine running ::bigsmile:obviously I'm pretty considerate when I use it but if anyone is close enough to be annoyed by it then really they are to close in my opinion.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
"Went off like rocket", I hardly think so, I pointed out my experience and if you read my answer again you will find that at no time did I suggest that you were anything other than a considerate user, or that you did not have the right to use a generator. Neither did I suggest people using generators were generally upsetting people, I mentioned the behaviour of one individual only, not tarring all uses with the same brush. I have never suggested that people should not own and run generators, merely commented in their manner of use as I described.

I also mentioned the potential for generators to annoy which I would have thought is obvious to those who use them and why some users, like yourself, state that they use them considerately. It must be also be obvious to you that some people may use generators without consideration and that those are the ones that cause annoyance. For example, a person arriving on a site or aire and immediately starting a generator which others can hear can hardly expect to be invited round for a drink and should not be surprised if using the generator at night he gets a knock on the door accompanied with a few choice words.

I have never suggested that people should not own and run generators, merely commented in their manner of use as I described.

Noisy children and dogs, although I see the analogy is an entirely different subject and has it's own threads. This was about generators.

Yada yada yada, getting very boring now........ I am NEVER going to roll over and agree with you as I disagree with your imperious attitude!

I ( and anyone else who wants one) have the right to own and use a generator. If someone doesn't like it, they can lump it.:Eeek: If I choose to use a generator at a reasonable hour and anyone decides to harass me about it, I will call the police to deal with the threats and harassment and not get involved further.

I have never had this kind of thuggish behaviour at any campsite thank heavens, we all have the right to reasonable enjoyment of facilities, which means everyone should have consideration for others. Noise is a fact of life and no-one has the right to perfect silence when they demand it should be so - there are usually planning rules related to noise, and campsite owners have their own regulations in place as well as most sites are private property.

There are a lot of nasty inconsiderate people around, sadly too many on this island. But there are also lots of considerate ones. Who use generators considerately. And control their children and pets. And themselves.

Generator use is not the only annoying thing about campers and motor homers, be assured- as for using analogies about badly behaved or out of control children and pets - I will use that analogy when I like and without needing permission from you! It is directly comparable to people being inconsiderate about anything else over which they have direct control - whether its rackety generators at all hours, horrible screaming kids, out of control pets, loud, raucous music or any other anti-social antics.

This is boring now :Doh: Try and find a new argument! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Jim et Lou

Jim et Lou

Free Member
Oct 12, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I am new to this
OK Ok Enough

I am sorry that I caused all this upset. Thank you to those who gave advice, but to those who just want to slag off, show off and belittle me for a lack of knowledge about motor home facts and figures then I say SHOVE it I do not need it. I am beginning to to think the site is a rostrum for self opinionated,egotist. Once again thank you to all that tried to help.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
NOW SEE WHAT YOU'VE GONE AND DONE.......Fancy coming to a community full of like minded people and asking a question like that, next you'll be asking about which gas bottles, or worse still.....[HI]A Frames[/HI] :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A Frames...now you're talking..........

.......I'm thinking of selling my 1.0 (red and very quiet) genny and fitting a tow bar so that I can tow this (just for topping up purposes).....

.............any thoughts.........?

url
mobile-silent-diesel-generator-sets-22996-2824039.jpg

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I am sorry that I caused all this upset. Thank you to those who gave advice, but to those who just want to slag off, show off and belittle me for a lack of knowledge about motor home facts and figures then I say SHOVE it I do not need it. I am beginning to to think the site is a rostrum for self opinionated,egotist. Once again thank you to all that tried to help.

I'm sorry that a couple of people on this site have upset you for asking a normal, sensible question.
They seem to have lost track of the meaning of the forum title, Motorhome FUN and taken over the thread to have a bickering spat.
I don't believe that they are representative of the vast majority on here.
Having said that, it is probably me that will get it next. ::bigsmile:

Feel free to ignore anyone you want too and pick out the useful comments.
Don't let a couple of posters put you off the rest.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

You know what, I don't blame you for thinking that!

Your original post was perfectly valid and the only bit of solid advice you have been given is that a generator is impractical to run a fridge from. Doesn't mean you can't, just that it's not practical. Most portable gennys need the fuel topping up every 4 hours (that's my best guess not a fact).

However, to top up your leisure batteries especially in the winter when your solar pannel ( if you have one) would not be producing enough amps to do the job, then your genny will do job just fine. Or if like me you want to use a hairdryer or straighteners then the genny is your new best friend :thumb:

If you think you will be on sites with hook ups most of the time, why bother carrying all that extra weight and using up valuable locker space. If however, as you use your van you develop a preference for out of the way isolated places that don't have campsites just where you want to be, then a genny will be a very useful thing to have. It all comes down to how YOU want to your van.

Whatever you decide to do, please don't judge the whole forum by the sniping on the occasional thread, usually a genuine question such as yours receives a genuine and helpful response, which I believe Maz tried to give you.

I hope you will get to meet some of us at a meet sometime and maybe we can have a genny off:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: mines bigger that yours sort of thing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

P.S. Forgot to say that you can run a 240v tv off your leisure battery via an inverter, that's what we do. I think our original inverter was 600w so it took up hardly any space at all.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
OK

Yada yada yada, getting very boring now........ I am NEVER going to roll over and agree with you as I disagree with your imperious attitude!

I ( and anyone else who wants one) have the right to own and use a generator. If someone doesn't like it, they can lump it.:Eeek: If I choose to use a generator at a reasonable hour and anyone decides to harass me about it, I will call the police to deal with the threats and harassment and not get involved further.

I have never had this kind of thuggish behaviour at any campsite thank heavens, we all have the right to reasonable enjoyment of facilities, which means everyone should have consideration for others. Noise is a fact of life and no-one has the right to perfect silence when they demand it should be so - there are usually planning rules related to noise, and campsite owners have their own regulations in place as well as most sites are private property.

There are a lot of nasty inconsiderate people around, sadly too many on this island. But there are also lots of considerate ones. Who use generators considerately. And control their children and pets. And themselves.

Generator use is not the only annoying thing about campers and motor homers, be assured- as for using analogies about badly behaved or out of control children and pets - I will use that analogy when I like and without needing permission from you! It is directly comparable to people being inconsiderate about anything else over which they have direct control - whether its rackety generators at all hours, horrible screaming kids, out of control pets, loud, raucous music or any other anti-social antics.

This is boring now :Doh: Try and find a new argument! :ROFLMAO:

Harassment, threats, thuggish behaviour, really ? If you really think that anything I have said amounts to that perhaps you had better report me. For now I do not think I will be making any further reply.

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
Genny

YEAH I HAVE 1 AND ITS A YELLOW 1 well someone as to have 1,we have only used it foe the wife"s hair driers it a 1kva hav used it at home no problems
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:thumb:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
We have a 2013 van with a factory fitted 100w solar panel and 2 x 110 ah leisure batteries. Some will recall the Dumfries and Galloway blizzards of last April? We were on a favourite CL near Kirkcudbright we ended up snowed in with 9 foot drifts and on the second day the power lines came down. Almost 3 days before it was restored, freezing conditions, blizzards and we had our young grand-daughter with us.

Heating, TV lighting etc soon started to deplete the batteries, solar is useless under thick covering of snow! on morning of third day withoput power had to charge up batteries by running engine for a couple of hours, very inefficient fuel hungry. This caused us to rethink, were going to beef up solar but were still smarting from the hit we took on expensive solar system we'd fitted on previous van (for which we received only a third of the cost) decided to go the generator route.

I posted questions on here regards makes etc and received some useful advice. We like rallying so next few months made a point of listening to the noise output of others generators and asking opinions.

In my opinion (stress MY) Honda were without par for quality and low noise, looking on Ebay used 2-4 year old ones sell for mad money, My good lady wife got fed up at this stage and demanded I bit the bullet so we struck up a helluva deal with Elliots for a new EU10i, without doubt one of our best MH purchases. (Its brilliant in the garden saves lots of extensions when using electric strimmer :thumb:)

We rarely use it when away but the one major advantage is we now have peace of mind in knowing no matter what the weather throws at us we have a back up.

And of course should we have to pack up we'll be able to sell the generator and get a lot of our money back. Its a no brainer. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Good advice from others re an inverter fitted a 300 watt unit mainly for charging the laptops but will power a TV, absolutely great for the slow cooker on route, meal ready for arrival on site:thumb:

Apologies for the long winded post. :winky:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Does your Honda cope with drills and power tools, or would the next size up be better. I ask as if we dithering about which on to get, it has to be muscly enough not just for motorhome use but for Colin's power tools (of which he has far too many):Doh:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Does your Honda cope with drills and power tools, or would the next size up be better. I ask as if we dithering about which on to get, it has to be muscly enough not just for motorhome use but for Colin's power tools (of which he has far too many):Doh:

In which case I'd go for the EU20i :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back