What should I do next?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Star4cross, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Star4cross

Star4cross Deleted User

On August 10th I purchased a motorhome for £24,000. On August 11th we were all packed and ready to drive off when we had an oil pressure sensor failure, I was told by Marquis Motorhomes to take it to Peugeot which I did, they did a software download and sent us on our way. We drove about 150 miles, had a wonderful nights sleep, started engine next morning to find the same problem. Took it to another branch of Marquis Motorhomes who said we couldn't move the mhome until Peugeot had another look at it. My family and I were gutted what a disaster this was turning out to be as we now had to hang around for the day without a vehicle. Peugeot looked at it and said that the engine had been overfilled with oil and the sensors have blown and this vehicle should not have been driven. I pointed out that this vehicle was only purchased by me on the 10th and it had just had a service via Marquis. Anyway we were sent on our way the following day and we managed to do about another 100 miles before the engine suddenly DIED. I tried restarting but no it was dead, in the middle of the road we were stranded. We ended up calling out Green Flag relay and getting taken the 200 miles back home. Kids were upset as this was really not their idea of a holiday, needless to say we weren't too happy either. Relay man though just finished our day off as once we reached home he very kindly reversed his vehicle, and mine, into a lamppost causing all sorts of bodywork damage.

So vehicle went to peugeot to be repaired mechanically, I have been told that I needed a new ECU as water had seeped into engine some time ago and had affected the ECU, this work was finally done 2 weeks later, then it had to go to the body repairers which is where it still is on the 10 sept and I am told it will remain for at least another 2 weeks.

I am past being mad and ranting and raving, what really is getting to me now is that I have written to Marquis and explained problems, yes to start with they did telephone to check all was progressing, they never actually did anything really to help but since repair to engine has been done, I have not heard from them again. I have written 3 letters now to them rejecting the vehicle saying that I cannot beleive the dangerous state they sent this vehicle out in and that vehicle is obviously faulty. Do I ever get a reply - NO - not a word since about 2 weeks ago when they said they would call again.

So come on can you help me out, this Mhome has at present cost me in loan repayments, tax and insurance nearly £300 to date not to mention the £24,000 I have already given them - they have ruined one holiday, I had another week the following week booked whilst children were off that we had to cancel, children have had a very very disappointing summer holiday - do you all think I should be entitled to a refund, a change of vehicle or some sort of compensation or am I expecting too much??????? Ideas and suggestions would be appreciated as I really don't know what to do now.
    I have only heard good things about Marquis so I am amazed at my experience of them of their extremely poor After Sales Service.
    Thanks from an absolutely exhaused motorhome owner!:cry:

2. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

OMG these people should be throwing rose petals on the ground where ever you walk for forgivness!! :Eeek:

'Not being fit for the purpose it was intended' and 'unroadworthy and sent out in a dangerous condition' springs to mind..............Imagine you was just overtaking on the motorway when it died :Eek!:

I have no dobt you are entitled to comp for your broken holiday plans andsuffering you and your family occured but also entitled to reject the vehicle (which you have) under the 30 day rule.

Sue their ass dude! :thumb:

Boo

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

try to find out if marquis farmed out the base vehicle service work to another garage or if they did the service themselves.

you may have recourse on the other garage if it was farmed out.

by the way.....welcome to the fun.....best place for advise.

4. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Hi and welcome to Fun, Sorry to hear about your problems as it sounds like a nightmare.
    However you have to be very clear about what you want. Any vechile however well checked can suffer mechanical failure. An ECU fault would be quite difficult to pick up when it was first checked because presumably the EcU was faulty then and giving false fault codes. Marquis presumably have had it fixed at a peugot dealer so job done.

The bodywork damage Im afraid is not to do with them. It was the green flag man.

Im not defending Marquis in any way but just asking you to make sure you clarify what you exactly expect Marquis to do for you.

My pennies worth is this. You are embarking on a massivce addictive journey for you and your family. It has got off to a real bad start but with a little patience you will enjoy it. You will look back on it in years to come as nothing more as a big adventure. I have been towed back from Dover 5 years ago at 3 am and the kids always laugh about it now.

use the tips from the many experienced funsters on here, go forth and enjoy yourself, maybe try one of the well known motorhomefun meets to get you off to a good start with friendly people and loads of experience.

keep at it and keep the faith.:BigGrin:

5. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I feel your frustration, welcome to Fun
    Its no consolation but people have paid 3 times that amount and worse has happened Firstly Chill, and work out what it will take to make you a happy bunny again,politely ask Marquis to assist you in getting what you want,
    above all dont shout under any circumstances
    Talk very quietly to them, its scares them to hell, and makes them wonder what you know that they dont:Wink:

6. G4GMO

G4GMO Read Only Funster

Sorry to hear of your woes. Hope you get it sorted. Doesn't sound like the Marquis I have read about. If they value their reputation they ought to compensate you for the disastrous time you've had. Good luck.

7. cater_racer

cater_racer Read Only Funster

I wouldn't buy (again) from Marquis if they were giving them away. Reject it, get your money back and buy from a company with integrity.

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

still doesnt account for this though paul.....

Peugeot looked at it and said that the engine had been overfilled with oil and the sensors have blown and this vehicle should not have been driven. I pointed out that this vehicle was only purchased by me on the 10th and it had just had a service via Marquis.

9. Big Ed

Big Ed Read Only Funster

Hello star4cross, sad to hear about your experiances-things can only get better!
    We brought our motorhome from Marquis and had problems, so I telephoned the branch and was informed the manager was on holiday. So 'phoned the head office in Hamshire and spoke to the the customer relations guy who was very helpful, the branch manager contacted me the next day expressing concern and offering to put things right. Even said he would organise a free tank of diesel if I had to return to the branch for further repairs.
    I would not advise litigation unless it is absolutely unavoidable, rejecting the vehicle will involve solicitors as Marquis will probably not accept this course of action.
    I would decide what I wanted in terms of compensation for the lost holiday and accro caused and the phone the head office in Hampshire and speak to the customer relations chap.

:Angry::Smile:

10. slickmouse

slickmouse Read Only Funster

Have to agree with Hagnap, Green flag damaged your body work which would de-value your motorhome more than the engine problem because thats easily fixed, the Peugeot garage that looked at it first should have spotted the ECU problem.

It sounds as though you are getting "buyers regret" and want to pull out of the deal, well tough, go after Green flag garage, the first garage and even Peugeot, but Marquiss will hopefully give you something for your trouble but no way will you get a full refund.

Enjoy the motorhome and after a wee break away you'll forget it all and get on with enjoying yourself

11. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

Sorry to hear about your experience. Experienced Motorhomers will tell you that when you buy a new (or new to you) Motorhome you should take it for a "shakedown" outing first to iron out any problems before embarking on a longer outing.(not what you want to hear I guess!) However, have you tried going to the branch and sitting down with the Manager to discuss? My experience of Marquis (only Sussex Branch) so far has been that they are as disappointed as I am when things go wrong and try to fix things quickly.

12. gixermark

gixermark Read Only Funster

So sorry to here your woe's re your new Motorhome.:Doh:

Fully understand your gripe with Marquis Motorhomes my friend. 2 years ago we ordered a £51,000 + Bessecarr from the Tewkesbury branch. Were due to pick it up on a certain day, kept putting us off until it turned out the Fiat required a full loom re fit ... this was the end of an awful experience with them ( won't babble on as it's your thread but previous to this we had nearly 6 months of problems / customer service / management / Director's etc ) and one we managed to walk away with our deposit from !:thumb:
    Having spoken to many another person's, unfortunately our treatment was far from unusual as far a Marquis are concerned :Angry:
    Keep fighting them re your problems and don't be afraid to get 'legal' with them, they will try to bully you into submission but don't let the b***ards push you down ......... Good luck ! :thumb:

13. JumboBeef

JumboBeef Read Only Funster

His contract is with Marquis, and not with another garage so I'm pretty sure that even if he could find out if another garage was involved, he can't approach them.

14. nozzmoking

nozzmoking Read Only Funster

I would suggest getting legal advice immediately. Taking the Green Flag issue out of the equation, it still sounds as though you have a case for neglect on someone's part. Getting a written report from Peugeot may help with your case against Marquis.

Good luck :thumb:

15. DeeGee7

DeeGee7 Read Only Funster

Not wishing to defend Marquis but surely the problem lies with the Peugeot garage that only did a software download and apparently no other checks. They should have picked up on the fact that the engine had been over filled with oil and the associated problems which the second Peugeot garage discovered.

16. Scunny-Arfie

Scunny-Arfie Read Only Funster

Hi, so sorry to hear of your problems. I had simular problems after the purchase of my 1st m/h, seething, mad etc was how i felt as you are. I sought legal advice (free 30 min session) they advised me what to do. I eventually got a 7 year younger m/h for very little extra cash layout.
    Don't be put of by a big firm, stick to your guns + go for it.
    Good Luck hope you have a satisfactory outcome as i did.

17. TDH

TDH Funster

I think I'd be getting 'buyer's regret' as well after this experience, and it's not enough to hope that the seller will give you 'something for your trouble'.

Simple fact is that you were sold something that was unfit for purpose. It doesn't matter how or who the seller chose to prepare it prior to you collecting it, they have the responsibility to make sure it is ready for you to use.

Sure, long term, this will turn into a blip, but that doesn't mean you just have to put up and get on with it.

I agree with those who have said be clear about what you want and stay business-like about it. Make it clear that the inevitable outcome will be legal action if they are unreasonable.

The Green Flag issue is a separate one, but you need to behave in a similar way.

Good luck!

18. gdf

gdf Read Only Funster

Legal Help

Sorry to hear of your problems.

On the subject of legal help it might be worth subscribing to Which and then subscribing to their legal service - it only cost me an extra £23 for 12 months membership and I've more than got that money back using the info they have given me!

Dave

19. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Just one further point. The OP says that he has writen to Marquis rejecting the van as not fit for purpose. I would sumise that he intends getting a fall refund for the purchase.
    Im sorry but I cant see a small fixable mechanical fault now fixed as being justification of this. Other than the van being body damaged through no fault of Marquis (unles you want the if my sister had balls she would be me brother approach)

You would be far better approaching Marquis maturely and asking them to compensate you in some way for the loss of holiday. Did you have holiday insurance? if so you might find this covers some of your costs.
    As said yesterday don't give up, when ya vans back and ready to roll you will love every moment. :thumb:

20. JumboBeef

JumboBeef Read Only Funster

OT maybe, but I just looked at the Marquis website: is it me or is everything really expensive on there? :Eeek: