pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Even though i'm a MAP kinda girl, I am going to bite the bullet and succumb to the allure of the sat nav for the Morocco trip.

Without spending a fortune, can anyone recommend a decent one with a large screen for Europe, assuming most of them won't have Morocco on.

Thanks.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Pinkie, I am rubbish at technology but BECAUSE I am rubbish at technology I ask a lot of questions in shops. I have always found that Maplins have always been really helpful with me on anything like this ... don't think it will just be the local one, as it seems to be good staff training.. Might be worth asking your local one for any offers going.

Hope you get sorted.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
What a brilliant question - and just at the right time too.

If people come back with good suggestions and recommendations we can both show our other halves what we would like for Crimbo.

I can't fault your timing Pinkie.:thumb:

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
If you have a smart phone with a large screen you could try this:

http://copilotgps.com/uk/

It has a setting on it for motorhomes, £34.99 for the full Europe version.

I use this and find it great (but have a large screen phone)

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
My missus is, errm, useless at navigation, so had to buy her an easy to use Satnav ( she is blonde as well)

This is what I got and she finds it very easy to use and undrstand :Smile:

Link Removed

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would strongly recommend Garmin. The only problem if you don't know exactly what you want is they have a vast choice of models but they are a very big brand with maps for more or less anywhere you would want to go. Prices start at around £100 and it may well be this is probably all you need but if you want to spend several hundreds they have these too. You can get Garmin models specifically for motorhomes but I don't think they really do much more than a car one other than perhaps being preloaded with some campsite locations - which you can buy as an extra if you want for other models. The Garmin camper model can also be loaded with the characteristics of your vehicle, i.e. width and will select routes accordingly but this feature won't cover every area and almost certainly not Morocco. They also do a reversing camera which can link to the GPS screen wirelessly if you need one. However, I don't have any experience of these so probably worth asking what the differences are if you want but there is likely to be a price premium over a standard car one.

For Morocco you will probably have to buy the map on a card. My Garmin, now discontinued but still supported, came with a lifetime update of maps for western Europe but this doesn't include Morocco.

TomTom are another well-established brand but I think Garmin have the best maps.

However, remember there are really two sorts of GPS. The ones for use in a vehicle which will give you directions but don't really have much of a map you can see and ones you buy for walking or cycling which normally have a scrolling, detailed map. The Garmin Etrex 20 is one of the cheapest of the latter. I use one by the British company Satmap for cycling and they produce very detailed maps of Morocco for their GPS but these are probably not what you want for just driving about the country as this sort of device doesn't shout directions at you, they are just a moving map.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Thanks guys, keep them coming, as I know zilch about these things I will go with the most popular probably, although not prepared to spend hundreds on the thing!

Borrowed someone's for use in the Micra once, as I don't know East of London at all and was travelling from Ipswich into London..............what I nightmare, got to Essex and the bloody thing kept saying "turn round, turn round, turn round"...........I ended up going halfway back to Ipswich, much swearing and screaming at the thing, before I finally switched it off and much later, got to London with no satnav.

So, can't say I'm a fan, but for a big trip, I can see the usefulness.........not sure where I will end up though! :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I was always a mapman, and to some extent still am. But since purchasing my old Tomtom 700 I am converted. When buying a satnav consider what you want to use it for. For example, you will need one that downloads of POIs are available such as Aires, campsites etc free. Tomtom is well supported in this field and IF you know what you are doing, or IF you know someone that knows what they are doing, then updates, and new mapping can be done FREE. My old Tomtom has mapping down to Istanbul and the whole of Morocco and cost nothing to update. I have no idea how to do it, but I know a man that can :winky:

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Sounds good, but I fancy a tour of Turkey (hopefully!!!) in the Summer so would need more than Istanbul.

Anyone got a device that has Morocco and Turkey on it? Or am I asking too much?

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Snooper S7000 Ventura PRO - big screen. Has never let us down unlike a previous Garmin which would send us down narrow lanes despite telling it the MH dimensions :Angry:

It also has all ACSI and Camperstop Europe sites programmed in which is very handy if you want to search for a stop over from a particular location you're not familiar with without trawling through books

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
A few months ago I bought the Tomtom Start 25 from Halfords for £99 which has Western Europe maps with free lifetime map upgrade. Well worth it but not sure about Morroco being on.

Mike

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
I'm afraid I went for a cheepy and have not been disappointed. Has the Europe maps on it, but not Morocco - but you can download one I understand.

Link Removed

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Even though i'm a MAP kinda girl, I am going to bite the bullet and succumb to the allure of the sat nav for the Morocco trip.

Without spending a fortune, can anyone recommend a decent one with a large screen for Europe, assuming most of them won't have Morocco on.

Thanks.

Hi, you might be a 'MAP Girl' now but you will soon become a 'SatNav Girl' and will never look back!

Would recommend TomTom 25 if you are looking for a cheapish satnav of Europe with updates. As you are aware you will need to buy 'Morocco' which will cost extra in the region of £40 +/- at the moment.

A few of the Morocco Funsters are 'TomTom Boys' so would be able to help you with your POI etc. :Eeek:

You might like this HERE

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Okay, what is the difference between the tom tom 1005 live and the starter model, is it just the ability to track hold-ups en-route?

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating

Thanks.

Hi Pinkie

Garmin are good and the best of the lot is the dezl 760 LMT
It has. 7 inch screen, free life time maps and traffic. Motorway junctions are as seen on the road. It has all Europe, not just part of, as well as all the Aires pre loaded as points of interest.
You can also use it as a hands free phone as well as a music centre etc. etc.
Good luck with your choice!

Last edited:

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I tossed my Sat Nav into a drawer last year after finding 'Waze'. It's a smartphone app, completely free and can be downloaded onto Apple or Android. Updated by the second, logs accidents, cars pulled up on hard shoulder etc. Like a sat nav but millions better. Give it a try in the UK to see if you like it. Am sure it's for abroad too...... maybe ?

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Hi,

That is eye-wateringly expensive! Discounted on those grounds!!!!

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
A lot depends on what you get used to and feel comfortable with. I am a Garmin fan and have recently changed my old Nüvi 250W for a Dezl 560. The latter is a 'trucker's SatNav' which allows you to enter the size of the vehicle. It is a slightly smaller version of the 760 referred to in the previous post - but it is still larger than most standard car SatNavs. I find it very good and it warns me of large vehicle obstacles and restrictions. I run it in RV mode. The routing is pretty good and certainly much better than my previous car version. If I try to go along a route that it thinks is unsuitable it repeatedly warns me that I should not go there due to weight or height restrictions etc. You have to tell it that you are ignoring the warning before it carries on routing.
Ultimately, one has to remember that no SatNav is perfect and a Truck SatNav can only keep you off small roads and away from low bridges etc., where the base map data contains the relevant information. So far I have found the Dezl to do this well in most circumstances and at least it warns when it has no relevant truck data for the roads I am using. Also, remember that if the only way to get to your chosen destination is via small roads, that is where the SatNav will take you.

The Dezl is not cheap but in my view it's pretty good for a motorhomer.

p.s. Just seen your dismissal of the Dezl 760 due to price - the 560 is a bit cheaper and noticing your profile notes, one advantage of the Dezl series is that the volume is extra loud to carry over the noise of a truck engine.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I tossed my Sat Nav into a drawer last year after finding 'Waze'. It's a smartphone app, completely free and can be downloaded onto Apple or Android. Updated by the second, logs accidents, cars pulled up on hard shoulder etc. Like a sat nav but millions better. Give it a try in the UK to see if you like it. Am sure it's for abroad too...... maybe ?

I have used waze its good but if overseas the roaming charges would be very high it needs a internet connection on all time

Pinky are u using a tablet ipad or android if so tomtom is about 40 quid as a down load
Make sure it will work first as some tablets dont have a gps chip
I have it on my samsung 10 inch screen its very good just need morocan maps

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Pinkie, good to see you researching, Halfords are good they will wire it in for you which can be really usefully, we have. Tom Tom and speak with their help line and although it is in Amsterdam you only pay local rates, and find them helpful, whichever you go for make sure you can. Upload any extra maps you think you may need. Morocco is one you would definitely need. The other thing I would not leave it until the last minute because you will need to get used to putting coordinates in and finding your way around it.

damar

Free Member
Nov 22, 2013
buckinhgam bucks
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
first van in 1967
We have been using a Garmin now for the past 4years, this year we upgraded to the Garmin 50LM, this we did because they now give you free updates for life. A great improvement over our old Garmin as it has a larger screen, and the screen splits at major junctions to give you a far better information. Also it gives all of Europe ( 45 country's ). For us the Garmin with all it features and used in conjunction with the book camperstop is probably the best investments ever made. With the downloads from camperstop it makes traveling in Europe so easy and saves your passenger traveling with a map on there laps. Just stop push the button and all the sites and Aires are there in front of you with the distance and page number, look in the book see if it is free etc, if you like the look of it push the button and it takes you here.

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp

Hi,

Don't even know if I have a "smartphone", im not a techie sort of girl!!!! (my eyes glaze over immediately at that sort of thing!)

I have a blackberry (I once called it a blueberry!) that's how techie I am.

No tablet or anything like that either! Laptops only.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Garmin for me , I find the search and co ordinate input very simple.
I also have a near new Snooper Ventura S7000, expensive and excellent display but the search facility is a bummer so rarely use it :Doh:

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
:Doh: Didn't think that one out did I ?!!!! Soz :RollEyes:
I have used waze its good but if overseas the roaming charges would be very high it needs a internet connection on all time

Pinky are u using a tablet ipad or android if so tomtom is about 40 quid as a down load
Make sure it will work first as some tablets dont have a gps chip
I have it on my samsung 10 inch screen its very good just need morocan maps

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Once again - thank you for all the input, I plumped for the Garmin Dezl 560 - persuaded by the LOUD VOICE!!!

Hope it's as good as it seems - got it for £160 from ebay. Second hand!

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Okay, what is the difference between the tom tom 1005 live and the starter model, is it just the ability to track hold-ups en-route?

The Start 25 does not have the bells and whistles of the GO models such as Bluetooth so you can use your phone and live updates.
All I wanted was a 5inch screen free map updates and POI's.
I have loaded Archies 30,000 campsites on to it so that's all I need.

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back