What Sat Nav?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Touchwood, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

Without giving the matter much thought, I had vague intentions of using my old Garmin in the new MH. A few seconds reflection, however, has made me realise the potential pitfalls - low bridges, steep hills, etc. - elementary really.

So - I've had a brief browse of previous posts on here, and a look on t'internet, and would appreciate any thoughts/comments/reviews of the Snooper AVN S7000 Ventura.

This unit has the added advantage of doubling as a radio/CD/DVD player - something I planned to add anyway, as the installed unit in my MH is a pretty poor quality radio/cassette player. Also has the facility to add a reversing camera, something else I've considered.

All advice welcomed as usual.

Mike

2. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi

Snooper seem reasonable as long as the mapping is on the roads you want, but from what I have gathered they fall short on side roads, lack of details. Did think of one but was put off as tend to use a lot of smaller roads.

Went back to tried and tested Tom Tom.

3. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

Thanks Dave - any particular model of Tom Tom? Do they do one with a combined radio/CD player?

4. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Don't know what model I have it was built into a new Hobby we have recently brought.

This comes as a complete package has radio reversing camera Dvd player etc can find exact model later if you want but will have to look up and paperwork is in van, will post again later.

5. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

Dave - had a look on the Tom Tom site and got this advice via their online chat: -

Hi, my name is Scot Y. (UK). How may I help you?
    Scot Y. (UK): Please be aware that this is support for Europe and South Africa only. If you are outside that region I can however provide you with the phone number for support line of the country if you need it.
    Please also be aware that most issues can be resolved by Chat in less than 20 minutes, but if this Chat session lasts 40 minutes and you are a UK customer, I will arrange for someone to call you within 30 minutes of the Chat session ending to resolve the issue.
    Mike Marshall: Hi Scot
    Scot Y. (UK): Hi, how can I help?
    Mike Marshall: I am looking for a satnav for a motorhome - preferably with a built in radio/CD faciltiy
    Mike Marshall: anything in your product range to suit?
    Scot Y. (UK): None of our devices have built in radio or CD facility and none are designed for motorhomes I''m afraid Mike.
    Mike Marshall: OK Scot - thanks
    Scot Y. (UK): You're welcome, sorry I can't help more.
    Mike Marshall: no problem - cheers
    'Mike Marshall' disconnected ('Concluded by End-user').

So - if yours is indeed a Tom Tom then either they make a model only available as a "built-in" or their advisor doesn't know his product range! I'd be interested to hear further when you have a chance to check it.

Cheers,

Mike

6. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi I have a Garmin nuvi and been all over the uk and a good bit of europe and had no major problems. I have a setting on mine for truck so it avoids taking you down narrow roads and low bridges, well so far anyway.

Gerry

7. Touchwood

Touchwood Funster

Gerry - thanks for that - I have a Garmin Nuvi in the car, never thought to check if it has a "truck" setting. Will do that tonight.

8. lorger

lorger Funster

Also if you want to update it they are doing a lifetime updates deal for about £75 i bought it 2 years ago when it was £100 and it allows you to update 4 times ayear i normally just do it before going on hol. You can download oall of europe or just countries you need.

If you have any problems finding the truck settings let me know and i will try and help.

9. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi

Have just been out and got the paperwork,

Model:- Eclipse
    ..............AVN 4429
    http://www.eclipse-web.com/eu/en/avn/AVN4429_overviews.html
    This unit does everything with a Tom Tom unit that plugs into it, the Tom Tom unit can be used as a stand alone unit if a power supply and mount purchased separately.

Hope this helps

10. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Gerry,

What Nuvi have you? I've got the 765 and would love to find a truck setting on it, as I am continually told to use narrow roads and tracks in France.

Regards

John

11. lorger

lorger Funster

John i will have a look for you tonight when home im sure its a 300 something

12. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Tomtom XXL europe....lovely big screen and all ready to go...speed camera warning....and good junction details for motorways. Love mine I think its all you need ( plus a few maps to be sure )

£117 from handtec ( inc vat)

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/2520/tomtom-xxl/7f4784c5623527953335088c9b0e162c

barry

13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I had a TomTom Go 300 and now have a Garmin Nuvi 1300t. Neither have a truck setting and I wouldn't pay the premium for one that did.

The mapping data which all units use is still nowhere near complete enough to guarantee that you won't be sent down a narrow lane. Low bridge PoIs can be downloaded from the Internet and added to TomTom or Garmin. AFAIK you can still only add PoIs to Snooper models individually, not as batches.

We use the sat nav in conjunction with a road atlas to make sure we avoid narrow roads.

14. Drew

Drew Funster

Have just bought a refurbished Tomton XL IQ Routes EU for £98. Seems OK but have yet to use it in anger, would always take a paper map as well though it's just to help with navigation whilst on route. i have used Google Maps navigation on a smart phone but if you lose the data connection then it all goes horribly wrong.:Rofl1::Rofl1:

15. rangitira

rangitira Funster

I've got one that never fails, needs no expensive up grades, fairly cheap to run, and I can argue with it, not only does it guide me on my way safely and securely, it also keeps me warm of a night, cooks and cleans and caters to my whims (well almost!)

This paragon of excellence is called Wife!:thumb:

And she's looking over my shoulder:Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  16. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

You must have bought the De-luxe model my one couldnt find her own backside with two hands and a flashlight !

barry

• Like Like x 2
  17. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi John i have had a look it is the 300 series im sure it is a 350 i bought it 5 years ago at the nec caravan show(think it was about £250 as not as common then) when we had our caravan.

if you go in to settings then into navigation it will have a few choices one being vehicle go in to this and it gives you 5 choices
    Bike
    Truck
    Bus
    Emergency (dont know when id use this)
    Taxi

We find it works best on bus for some reason.
    Hope this helps
    Gerry

18. Drew

Drew Funster

Never fails? to go the wrong way or tell me to turn left 50 yards too late:Sad::Sad:

No expensive updates? true but loads of arguments and fuel used going the wrong way:Eeek::Eeek:

Cheap to run??? who are you kidding?:Doh::Doh::Doh:

I have a fire to keep me warm, cook the meals (OK so she does the cleaning etc):thumb::thumb:

She's at Yoga tonight.....Phew:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

19. Daisy2

Daisy2 Read Only Funster

I've got the Snooper S6000 Ventura. Clever bit of kit, lane guidance very useful although not sure about some of the screen layout. Main criticism is that on way back from Shepton Mallet m/h show it took me a different route from the one it used to get me there. Nightmare journey and eventually had to turn round (only 2nd trip in the van and I now know exactly how wide it is and can do a great reversing hill start!) and retrace route to showground then ignore all instructions and go the way I wanted! Going to change vehicle settings to much larger than actual to try to avoid little roads until more used to the van. Ironic as I bought it to replace the TomTom 510 (great little unit) to stop it from taking me down roads I couldn't fit in (no option to add TomTom truck s/w to it). So now I've got it I'm sure I will learn to get along with it.....but if I was buying again I might reconsider.

Daisy2

20. Camper21

Camper21

Snooper S7000

I have a Snooper S7000 that we bought to replace our faithful Tom Tom. We used it on a trip to Italy this year but we soon gave up with it and brought our Tom Tom out of retirement. The routes planned by the Snooper were often quite ridiculous with pointless lengthy detours from the most direct route. The final straw was when it took us in a full circle all the way around a camp site but would not take us to it.