What replacement leisure batteries? (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
It seems that my leisure batteries may need replacing, I currently have 2 number 210 amp hour Exide Gel batteries. This is the 1st time I've had gels as all previous vans had traditional wet batteries. Are gels worth the extra cost?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I personally think Gels are to be avoided unless you live on a boat or want to mount them on their sides... AGM or flooded are better in my opinion.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I've got gels and would replace with gels. They take longer to charge, but also longer to discharge. Personal choice really :) if you do change, check settings on regulator and charger as there may be a selection switch for the type of batteries you are using.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm a fan of Gel's 2 x 80 A/H gels in the last van still going strong when I sold it at nearly 6 years old. Know other Hymer owners where they are still going at 9 years. Only downside is they take longer to charge. They can accept an 80% DOD which means a 80 A/H gel will give similar performance to a 110 A/H wet cell.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I also like GEL's and have not been persuaded otherwise yet. Yes they are more expensive so need to outlast the competition. @Richard Birkett how old are yours.

From what I have read GEL's are less affected by sulphation if a battery is not kept at fully charged state and they will tolerate discharge down to 80% which some deep cycle lead acid will but certainly not all.

Just to add ours 2x80ah EXIDE's are now 9 years old and still powering the microwave etc.

OP
OP
Richard Birkett
Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks everyone!
I decided to go with the same Exide Gels as existing, Tayna Batteries gave me a discount off the website price so placed the order with them. It then suddenly occured to me that the batteries may be under the dealer warranty, I contacted Southdown who immediately said they were. A call to Tayna and they canceled the order and the batteries should arrive on Friday ( all 140kg).

Great service from both companies.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As you were prepared to buy two new ones anyway i would have kept them and installed all four.

840ah.....A good bank size for any situation.

Maybe a bit on the heavy side though at 1/4 ton.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Too late for the OP but worth a read for anyone else who may be thinking gels are better ..

Broken Link Removed

quote.
The key question
Another way to approach this subject is the simple Irish way (being Irish myself). I went onto the web and obtained 3 different battery type prices, these were the first prices I came to and have no reflection on any company. I was looking for about a 100 amp hour battery.

• 100 amp hour leisure. Normal open lead acid (so called leisure) £49.99
  • 100 amp hour AGM = £175
  • 100 amp hour Gel = £265.59
So in my simple mind the AGM is about 3 times more expensive than the standard one. And the Gel, about 5 times more. So the question is; if these batteries are 3 – 5 times more expensive than the standard one, what do they do that is 3 – 5 times better? Do they last 3 – 5 times longer? (I think not, more like the reverse). Do they charge 3 – 5 times faster to reduce your engine running hours? (Only in their dreams.) So rather than ask me weird questions; please ask the sales man, who is trying to sell this stuff for cycling, exactly what you are getting that is 3 – 5 times better than standard lead acid batteries. Then please let me know as I could do with a good laugh.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We have 3 x Deta 140Ah (Exide) GEL batteries and IMO they have outperformed other battery banks which we've had in two narrow boats. We can use a hairdryer, heated tongs, microwave, Remoska and a Slow Cooker courtesy of a big inverter, via the said battery bank and 305 watts of solar. Have been out since 6th January and in that time spent only 3 nights on hook up.(y) Wouldn't hesitate to replace them with the same.(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The guy that runs Sterling has always dismissed Gel's, but from my own experience & other Hymer/German Motorhome owners have found them to have very a long life making them cost effective, also the price of them has dropped by nearly 40% over the last couple of years. An Exide Gel used to be around £240 can now be had for under £150.
When my AGM's get to the end of their life I will probably replace them with Gel's if I plan to keep the van for more than a further couple of years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back