What pi$$ed you off this week (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The Highway Code says: -
  • give priority to traffic already on the motorway
  • check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
So nothing there about people already on the motorway easing off. There always used to be a rule that you should never cause another vehicle to change speed or direction in any aspect of driving.​
It does however mention matching speed which assumes an attempt to enter a moving gap - which has to be there in the first place. If by not creating that gap (by simply easing off the throttle) traffic on the slip road is forced to stop then IMO a dangerous situation is created. Forcing a vehicle to enter the motorway from a standing start just so you don't suffer the minor inconvenience caused by creating a gap is discourteous at the very least. Not all common sense activities have to be mentioned in the Highway Code - a bit like allowing someone to join the road you are on from a side road. And I do understand about HGV problems - although in my experience those drivers tend to be pretty good at spotting in advance vehicles approaching from the slip road.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Business that don't stick to their opening hours (8-5) went to get gas 4.30 closed :mad: I promised the job would be finished by 6.00! :mad:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@Enword Yes ... went out for a meal with friend who had travelled miles to be with me last week ... they 'closing early' because they had had a slack day .. that was TWO restaurants ...! Maybe slack day because this is their policy and people don't bother trying them again!

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
It does however mention matching speed which assumes an attempt to enter a moving gap - which has to be there in the first place. If by not creating that gap (by simply easing off the throttle) traffic on the slip road is forced to stop then IMO a dangerous situation is created. Forcing a vehicle to enter the motorway from a standing start just so you don't suffer the minor inconvenience caused by creating a gap is discourteous at the very least. Not all common sense activities have to be mentioned in the Highway Code - a bit like allowing someone to join the road you are on from a side road. And I do understand about HGV problems - although in my experience those drivers tend to be pretty good at spotting in advance vehicles approaching from the slip road.

Unless the motorway is full of crawling traffic due to an incident there is never a situation where there is not a gap to enter. The people that expect everyone to move out of their way when joining a motorway usually haven't looked for a gap at all, the first point they actually look is when they arrive at the line between slip and lane 1 where as they should have chosen their gap and the appropriate speed as soon as they had a view of the motorway at the top of the slip road. Incidentally, letting someone out of a side road is also dangerous, unless you are in crawling traffic, and even then there may be a bike filtering through that could be inconvenienced or even knocked off due to allowing someone to pull out in front of you.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Unless the motorway is full of crawling traffic due to an incident there is never a situation where there is not a gap to enter. The people that expect everyone to move out of their way when joining a motorway usually haven't looked for a gap at all, the first point they actually look is when they arrive at the line between slip and lane 1 where as they should have chosen their gap and the appropriate speed as soon as they had a view of the motorway at the top of the slip road. Incidentally, letting someone out of a side road is also dangerous, unless you are in crawling traffic, and even then there may be a bike filtering through that could be inconvenienced or even knocked off due to allowing someone to pull out in front of you.
Not always that easy how about slip roads that enter up-hill and the very short ones on the A1 it makes sense to do whatever helps both those on and entering the road especially to move into the next lane if clear to make a space it does of course require looking ahead and being aware of whats behind two things that some seem to find difficult!. What annoys me is the prats that insist of constantly changing lanes when they can see they are going to have to pull out again in 10 seconds they seem to think they are on a race track just as bad as those who just drive in the middle lane all day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
People who buy a shower , remove the pressure relief device to repair theirs and then return it leaving it for some unfortunate person to buy......ME.....:mad: :swear2:
I bought a gennie from Tesco and it had been filled with oil and ran then returned!! But there was a happy ending to the story ;)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Had an remonstration with a German man who was encoraging his kids to ride their bikes around the stellplatz then proceeded to get them to ride closely around my van whilst we were eating. Anyway a few choice words in German discouraged the Tw@t......so annoyed I even forgot to mention the war :mad:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Getting locked in a French toilet last saturday on an out of the way road ( little used) layby services & it was raining . :( Was getting a bit panicky thinking of how long I'd have to wait to be rescued. :LOL:
Good job I managed to work out that the square bar part that joins the in & out handles had come out from the inside handle due to being too short !!!!

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Well for me it's getting as far as Provence with a bad back having to crawl out of the cab at every chance. Arrived.. Back is now better then had absess on a molar and taking mega antibiotics to stop it. Dentist stunk of garlic!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Getting locked in a French toilet last saturday on an out of the way road ( little used) layby services & it was raining . :( Was getting a bit panicky thinking of how long I'd have to wait to be rescued. :LOL:
Good job I managed to work out that the square bar part that joins the in & out handles had come out from the inside handle due to being too short !!!!

Sorry ... that made me giggle... must have been worrying ..

Deleted User
I did get locked in a toilet in a Restaurant in St. Die, Alsace a few years ago, the handle was very flimsy and just came apart in my hand, at least that was my excuse:)

A trifle embarrassing, I had less French then than I have now, and that's not a lot. Wife was getting quite worried but eventually my banging and screaming was heard by some of the staff who then had to find some tools to open the door.........what fun:)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
@gus-lopez Sorry to laugh and it's not funny but a French toilet!!
That would be a nightmare!
:LOL:
Actually as French toilets go this was obviously quite new & stunning in upkeep & condition both inside & out. The council obviously had a few bob & made a nice job of a very rural facility.(y)

Sorry ... that made me giggle... must have been worrying ..
It was for a short while. Once I'd escaped & continued filling van with water , in the rain, a couple of French motrhomes turned up doing the same. So it has obviously been logged by them as somewhere useful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back