What motorhome?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Clarebear70, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Clarebear70

Clarebear70

hi all

It's my first time on here! We are looking to purchase a motorhome really quickly and after advice on how to find the motor home for us! We are looking for 4 berth with four seat belts with a fixed bed and over bed cabin - we have looked at a swift suntor 630g. I am worried it might be too big for our first. We have £22k to spend. Any advice on makes models.

Thanks Clare

2. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

Never ever rush to buy a motorhome. Research what you want, layout, size etc.
    Try to view as many different models at motorhome shows and dealers.
    So many people make an expensive snap decision.
    Also what weight vehicle are you licensed to drive.
    Most importantly make sure there is no damp.
    Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Hi Clare,

You are getting answers on your other post :)

Don't want to repeat myself but take your time, buy in haste and repent at leisure.

What about hiring for a week or two?

For me the most important thing when choosing make and model is layout. You will have to compromise somewhere so make a list of must haves, nice to haves and must NOT have. This will eliminate quite a lot :)

Payload and what you are allowed to drive is also important...... if you only have a "B" driving licence don't buy a motorhome rated at over 3.5 tonnes. Also many motorhomes are plated at 3.5 tonnes but that leaves very little carrying capacity so make sure you get a weighbridge ticket. Everything put into the van (including fuel) eats into your payload.

If you do see a van you like you can always ask a local funster to look at it with or for you. If it is some way from where you live someone having a sniff around would be able to say it is worth seeing or not to waste your time :)

Not sure what you drive now or what your driving experience is but you can take a short course to make you feel more comfortable driving a motorhome. One of the members here has a driving school that would organise this and the two big clubs (caravan club and camping and caravan club) also do courses.

4. Clarebear70

Clarebear70

Hi
    Thanks for your replies - I have the right driving licence! The driving lessons sound a fab idea - where do I find more about those - thanks

Clare

5. musson

musson Funster

Take your time,make sure its right first time it will save you money take it from one who learnt the hard way
    then enjoy what you buy.

6. LesleyC

LesleyC Funster

I would love to hear more about those too.

7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The caravan club charge about £150 or thereabouts but I think you could get it a lot cheaper from your local HGV training company.

• Like Like x 1