What makes me mad is.... (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We own a Chausson too I think its a considered choice. Its a bit like people who swank off about their kids going to private school I have a friend who is a research scientist when people did that he always used to say he was lucky his kids weren't thick enough for him to have to pay for a private school!!!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I think this is a British thing.
Was told in France you'd never know if your neighbour is a prince or a pauper. Found no one was flash and no one judged you on clothes labels/ car make/ whatever. Only UK has number plates that display the age of a car! Says it all.
Do you love your motorhome? Are you having fun with it? 2 yeses = you don't have to give a flying f**k what anyone else thinks or says.

Personally I couldn't care if I owned a 5k or 50k motorhome--- my dogs would still shed hairs on it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I feel smug when I'm outside, sitting around a campfire, sipping a fine malt and chatting to who ever is next to me when I look up at the peeps in their massive MHs that can't get to the places that we go to or lock themselves in their vans as soon as the sun goes down. Horses for courses. I'd rather have entry level fun than luxury pretentiousness.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mind an old split screen vw that years ago you bought for 100 quid is now more up market than many american rv,s .
its a strange world we live in .
i knew i should have kept all the old vw,s i had . hee hee .
if you made 50 quid it was a good one .
hate to imagine what the one i had that went to kenya to a wild life park then came to uk when one of the wardens retired and was given it as a gift . i bought it for 80 quid sold it for 150 with pictures of its history. might be rich now .

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
TBH I can't remember how much we paid for out Motorhome. It was bought 3 years ago at the NEC.

I do remember it was more than the Duvalay topper we went to buy :whistle:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
We're also Chausson owners, and bought 5 month ago in much the same price range.

I guess they are pretty much mid range in terms of cost, I suspect the op is referring to the "Flash" range, supposedly a little cheaper than the "Welcome" variant but with very little difference between the two

There are some people who buy for the name on the front, as opposed to the layout, the practicality of use on small winding roads and the ability to get up the smallest gradient. The kind of people (to misquote Oscar Wilde for the second time in a week) who really do know the cost of everything and the value of nothing

It's what you do with your motorhome that counts, where you go, the experiences that you have and the fulfilment it lends to your life. Those snobs who crow about how much they stupidly paid for a leviathan that costs a bomb to run, depreciates faster than the pound in your pocket and struggles to cope on an empty 3 lane motorway before they become medically unfit to drive anything above 3.5 T (present company excepted, of course) are to be pitied rather than scorned. Did you buy it to suit your neighbours (who are only trying to wind you up) or did you buy it for yourselves?

Value the excellent motorhome that you have, enjoy it to the full and stick up a finger to anyone who you feel looks down on you.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Errrr... ummmmmm...

Portuguese number plates show the age of the vehicle on them.

Just saying...

JJ :cool:

PS. Mine says 1987.
I thought that the year was only shown after 2000. But you are correct, it's not just in the UK when the year is shown on the number plate

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Errrr... ummmmmm...

Portuguese number plates show the age of the vehicle on them.

Just saying...

PS. Mine says 1987.

Is that an entry model JJ :p;)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
My Sunlight is an entry level dethleff, but who cares. Entry or budget level is a term usually given to a model or range to introduce them to a different market under a group name. ;)Sunlight was chosen as dethleff's way into the uk market collectively under the hymer umbrella. It is nothing to do with cost. I don't have full specs of the hymer group but you get a hellova lot for your money. (y)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
I am in no way a perfect person but snobbery / inverted snobbery ....... I hate both, hate preconceived ideas and assumptions most.

Its who you are as people that matters, not what you own or have paid for your motorhome. People shouldnt pre-judge people at either end of the scale.

There will be numerous reasons why people have or dont have money, luck, talent, opportunity, effort, health, dependants, personal choice and commitment.

There are lovely friendly people with money and lovely friendly people without money, just as there are horrible people with money and horrible people without it. There are also shy reserved people with / without money.

We all chose how to spend the money we have, some work hard but still struggle and for peace of mind need to try and find contentment in what they have got. Some fritter it away but they have had it, some save to spend on the things that really please them, if you have money it is personal choice how you spend it. If you borrow it for unnecessary things thats your problem or worry too if the sky falls in.

Why begrudge people who have worked long and hard enjoying the fruits of their labours, as long as they have not cheated or robbed others, no point in working hard to stash money in the bank or be the richest chap in the graveyard. Why also assume all nice new expensive things are not paid for.

When you look around at your neighbours dont judge them on appearance alone, you have no idea of their circumstances and personal journey through life, if you have the time, health and freedom to MH you are lucky in todays world. Enjoy the scenery, respect the environment, smile at your neighbour, exchange a smile, relax, chill and enjoy without spoiling things for others, dont let snide comments or green eyed monsters spoil your day. Enjoy your MH whatever you have, all our days are numbered!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
A budget model is just that... a budget model..
Please dont wave to me if you see me out as i have a reputation to keep.

Im so much happier I bought my far more expensive "marque" motorhome..
I find the quality of the failings such as damp -locker handles breaking -bathroom doors falling off-bed collapsing far far superior to any of the failings we used to get with our entry model CI

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Is when people keep saying my motorhome is a budget model, I paid best part of 50k for my Chausson new last year and to some it is a budget model.
Well if you have a car which cost 20k and your neighbour bought a car costing 25k would you like him to tell you that yours is a budget model, if they were both new cars?
If e.g. You had a Hymer second hand and paid 20k and your neighbour bought a new Rollerteam for 45k would you tell him he had a budget model?
So leave me alone please or I will scream.
But why do you care what others think as long as you are happy with it. By the way, how much is your house worth, or your car. We could all then compare values and I expect I have s bigger personal appendage, or will have after the enlargement surgery

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Strange thing, what some people think different than others, if I got to boasting , I would go look how cheap ours was(y):)

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Its not what you've got its what you do with it! Any way this entry module cost $2,241,033,000 !!!!:LOL:
space1.png

FrankCoffi

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
Andover,Hants
Funster No
MH
Lunar Premier H592
Exp
since 2007
Calm down dear ! What is it about this one upmanship,surely the idea is that you have a MH that YOU love and is what you needed and if you are going to care about and worry what other people think then it spoils the whole fun of being a motorhome'er.Relax and enjoy !!!!!:p

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
A mate of mine has an RS Endeavor..£140k ish, and cant believe how i can afford to spend so much time away from home.. its fairly simple, i buy what i need , rather than what i like, and have a daily drive that owes me £550.

as a result, we get away every weekend , and do 10 trips to europe a year, dont have a pot to piss in, but im happy.

£30k is my maximum budget, i dont get any added value out of spending more. The fact my 2003 A class had 28000 on it after 13 years says whoever bought it, didnt get what its all about.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Talking of "entry level" I know somebody who wanted to buy a McLaren P1 but he wasn't allowed to until he had bought the 650s or 570 or whatever it was (it's only about £150k), then once he was a customer he was allowed to spend another £million to get the P1, anyway he then decided to trade it in for the P1 GTR as it was only another £million more.

The mad thing is he can sell the GTR and make over a £million in profit.

His motorhome is the front of a Mercedes Artic race truck with two race cars in the back.

Am I bovvered NO.

Ho Hum.

Martin

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Well my van is not what most people bought call budget but I don't give a stuff. I wanted it, I could afford it, so I bought it.

I'm sure I don't enjoy my trips any more (or less) than someone who is in a van which cost a lot less than mine. People are people, some are nice to chat and drink with and some aren't. What they paid for their motorhome is completely irrelevant. If the cost of someone's van bothers them they are in the "some aren't" category.

Buy what you want/can afford and enjoy it as much as you can. Just ignore anyone who who considers you only able to buy a "budget" motorhome.

Allan

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Wash your mouth out immediately please.

Top of the range Mercedes Hymer 660S...

...but then you already know that as you have seen the beauty in Pinar. ;)

And a fine example it is JJ (y)

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Our Motorhome is a Y reg - 2001 so 15 years old - believe it or not there are people out there who are ageist as well as pricest. It doesn't worry me - I love Brian and he looks damn good for his age (which is the main remark received from other motorhomers)

By the way Keith - is that photograph photoshopped, or do I need to keep an eye out for her Majesty on the sites?

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Rosemary - If I was you I'd not only keep a sharp look out for HRH and Phil but also for David Cameron, Keith Vaz, George Osborne and one or two other politicians who are now, or shortly will be, on reduced wages and will be taking more cost effective holidays rather than the public money funded jollies they are used to.

:france::france::france::france:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We sold our 10 year old tag axle Frankia. We bought a brand new Globecar panel van conversion. Someone said to me "I see you have downgraded"
I thought it was an upgrade, New, better to drive, better MPG, easier to park, better fridge, better heating, better aircon, more power........

I have never looked down at any other motorhomer. Weve traveled with people whe have built their own van from a high mileage rusty van where the beer is cooled by rteaching out the roof window and putting it outside on the roof. We dont care what the cost of a van is.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back