What makes a tent a tent rather than an awning?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by errpaul, Apr 21, 2009.

1. errpaul

errpaul Funster

I feel like I asked so many questions over the last couple of days....but here's another....
    Prior to getting our MH we were campers!!
    Anyway, we still have the tent and when we go away for more than a weekend, staying put on one site we figure we'd still make use of the tent. This would be in place of an awning and just for use for outdoor things like chairs, bbq, kitchen (when weather good), and would not be used to sleep in. We'd use the MH for this which would enable us to leave the beds set up. (no living space when beds set up as front diner layout)

3 of the 4 sides open so would be ideal to sit out in even in inclement weather, and with some adjustments one side could throw over the MH as you would with a drive away.
    So really the question is what makes an awning an awning and a tent a tent?
    We don't want to pay double fees if we decide to take both, but having just bought the MH we'd rather not shell out for an awning.

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

IMO.. no difference, tent or drive away awning, some sites charge others don't, if you don't want to pay for the tent/awning check site fees before booking ..

Some even charge for a roll out sunshade .. :Angry:

other extra charges to watch out for

dog
    car
    pup tent
    trailer

But much depends oh the site fee structure .. some 'all inclusive' fees are more expensive than those that break it down, which is fairer to some..

3. Caggsie

Caggsie Read Only Funster

Not an expert, but does it have to actually be attached in some way to the MH to be classed as an awning. One thing that you may not have considered is if you intend lugging tent and all previous accessories ie kitchen etc you could very easily get yourself over your weight limit. Just a thought.:Smile:

regards

Karen

4. zaskar

zaskar Funster

Double :Angry::Angry:
    My argument has always been, "it is NOT an awning and I will NOT pay extra for it, I'll leave before I pay you extra for a sun shade which doesn't even touch the floor!"
    So far, we've been OK but I've no doubt at all that one day, I WILL end up leaving.

5. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

We don't care what extras you bring, car, dogs, tents, children or extra aldults same price £10 per night. Polite to ask as you say and polite to ask if you have visitors comming to see you all day other than that we have no problem. :Smile:

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

It's a pity not all sites adopted this friendly and sensible attitude .. :Smile:

well done :thumb: