What makes a good MH forum ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Feb 22, 2010.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

As most are aware there are many MH / RV forums, some busy, some very quiet and on many, the same member names can be found.

I puzzled over this and came to the conclusion that the most popular forums had some common elements..

1. An active and friendly meet program
    2. Good data bases and download section
    3. Catered for all, irrespective of van size or type.
    4. A friendly atmosphere without being over modded

So, what attracts you to any particular forum, and this one in particular, no need to mention forum names, this isn't a post to slag off or advertise others.

2. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

feeling welcome

no being trashed for being a numpty

helpfull advise

3. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

I agree a nice relaxed, helpful, non-judgemental atmosphere. The fact that Kath and me have only been Funsters for a short while, haven't met anyone face to face yet, but still regard a number of funsters as friends just from quiz nights and evenings in the chat room says it all for me. Haven't felt the urge or need to visit other sites.:thumb:

4. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

I agree with the above - I hate sites where you are talked down to or presumed to be thick for asking a basic question. Don't mind the light hearted banter, but I have seen comments on some sites that made me cringe & coloured my opinion of the whole forum (Never to be visited again)
    Too many rules and restrictions are also a turn off as far as I am concerned :Smile:

5. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Jim,

All of the above but (in my humble opinion) I would prioritise them in the opposite order to your list.

Phil

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

The people.

7. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Smile: Hi when in the past I subscribed to the 'Darkside', though I personly had no problem's I felt they critersised much to much on the like's of spelling and grammer and were a little snobish!, we all cannot chucky up a £50k + campervan in order to lord it over other's then park it next to me.
    I then have a nice view of his £50+van and he has a nice view of my £2k+ van so I think I am winning at the moment :Rofl1:

8. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Jim,

Leaving aside a forum's qualities, and I agree with your list, I think there may be another issue at play regarding activity levels.

There is an empirically derived law in marketing often referred to as "Double Jeopardy". This explains the relationship between penetration (how many people buy a brand) and loyalty (what share of their purchases in the product category, go to that brand).
    Basically, big brands enjoy a double benefit because not only do more people buy them, but they buy that brand more often than other brands. And conversely, small brands suffer double jeopardy. This runs counter to the belief of many managers of small brands, who think that their brand appeals to a small, but loyal following. The evidence contradicts this belief. When I want to be provocative in discussion with a group of marketers, I put the proposition that "there is no such thing as a niche brand, only an unsuccessful one".

I think the same issue may be at play in the case of forums. The bigger forums have more members, and those members tend to allocate a disproportionately large share of their activity to the bigger forums - even though they may be 'consumers' of several forums and indeed, prefer the ambience of a smaller forum.

So the answer to increasing the activity levels in a smaller forum is to get bigger. Achievement of critical mass should bring with it an accelerating level of participation.

Philip

9. froghopper

froghopper Read Only Funster

which site

well, all the replies above say it all. we are friends, we are cheeky to each other,(in good fun) dont we brian,, we can ask the most basic questions and have fun with the answers, every body knows something, and if you find that person, its worth a fortune,, to JIm and his helpers, to YOU all out there,, THANK YOU, lets keep it nice, and friendly, and polite,,,,:Rofl1:well as close as we need to,, after all we dont want fuddy duddy total P C, ,, ,,,, we are after all funsters,, i realy do believe a couple on here are quite inteligent :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I agree with all the above especially about the grammatical critics. But also the smart arses that raise their hands in horror at someone daring to ask a question. I like to ghelp people any way I can and offer suggestions,my life won't end of they choose to ignore what I say,with some forums it is treated as a capital offence.:Wink:

11. robnchris

robnchris Funster

the best forum

Brian is spot on "The People" they are the forum, some excellent exchanging of ideas and opinions on here, "Adenough" I would buy a drink at the bar anytime.

Time for a group hug guys.:beer:

12. john-A

john-A Read Only Funster

13. sue1959

sue1959 Read Only Funster

I lIke the fact that even though I don't have a MH (hopefully in the future I will have) I'm made to feel welcome. Love the jokes and the sense of comaradery ( sorry, that wouldn't get past on the other site I'm sure!) Also I like the way that all info is free and given without reprimand even though I might sound 'thick' sometimes!
    Sue

14. staging lady

staging lady Funster

Agree with all the above.
    I've asked some really simple questions here but never been made to feel small.
    Lucille

15. Dawnbreak

Dawnbreak Read Only Funster

I looked at another forum and just got lost in it......found this one and the way one is made to feel so welcome. As yet hubby and I have not purchased but plan to do so early next year. Questions we ask are kindly answered, not made to feel stupid......no bias that we're here and we are motorhomeless:cry: at the moment. Tried out the chat room for the first time last night, tad weird at first but had a chat to some lovely people. So first and foremost for me....

The warm welcome and friendlyness of everyone.
    The knowledge that whatever age of people/life experiences/which motorhome or none......that everybody starts from the beginning....knowing nothing about it.
    Hopefully that over time and when we purchase our motorhome and are out and about that we might meet some of the lovely funsters and who knows "friendships might ensue".
    The wealth of knowledge....reviews and opinions.

Think that about covers it. ttfn x:BigGrin:

16. barnybg

barnybg Read Only Funster

Good M/H forum ?

As others have said but i would like to add,its nice to have some kind of answer to a post in a couple of hours or a day,even better, in a few minutes (lol) unfortunately some you could wait days or weeks,which is not much point really,its also nice if several or many answer the post than just the normal couple,seems like many members are either shy or dont want to be known or ridiculed maybe ? As other forums tend to do this,and the sayingis,once bitten ,twice shy.
    An interesting ,helpfull,friendly site which is well used daily. :thumb:

17. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

the answer to this one has already been given it is the people. so what attracts the right sort of people.
    1)Friendlyness
    2)Information
    3)Tolerance of everything from bad jokes to bad spelling
    4)the willingness of people to help, forming a real family not just a community.
    5)most people who originally would have said the price now discount this one and would be happy to pay. You cannot buy the help and care that eminates from this forum. Long may it reign supreem.
    :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

18. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Probably all of the above really but would like to just add,

What attracted me here?
    seems so long ago I cant remember but I do remember Going to The first motorhomefun Newark meet, meeting with others they all seemed such a miserable lot that I thought they were just my cup of tea. I therefore realised I was in the right place. :Rofl1:

I also like the enphasis on being FUN. not to snobby, just fun, a self moderating forum without the need to be completely pulled to task, especially for spelling etc really is cool.

Lots of family orientated people,

lots of Doggy orientated people.

lots of nice people.:thumb:

19. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

While I agree with nearly all that has been said already,

However, I think the main thing that makes a forum is the software, it seems that ones that use a similar format to this really do stand out and attract people, as the opening page lets you know straight away what is going on and allows you to actually get involved even before you join albeit I know you can't reply,

The software layout on some forums won't even let you view, or only have limited viewing until you join and some the layout is so unfriendly you have to keep searching every section just to find something you may or may not be interested in.

20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I think of forums like pubs. If I try it and like the atmosphere I'll keep going back again.

Graham