What makes a good driver- the answer. (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Morning guys. I put a post up asking. What makes a good driver then. Some great answers, some blowing your own trumpet, answers. And some really professional answers. So my opinion what makes a good driver. Is the driver what gets home to his or hers love ones every night. Keep on trucking. :thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Morning guys. I put a post up asking. What makes a good driver then. Some great answers, some blowing your own trumpet, answers. And some really professional answers. So my opinion what makes a good driver. Is [HI]the driver what gets home to his or hers love ones[/HI] every night. Keep on trucking. :thumb:

If that were only true, what about the poor devil who gets wiped out by the poor driver or the inebriated driver ....... :Angry:

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp

If that were only true, what about the poor devil who gets wiped out by the poor driver or the inebriated driver ....... :Angry:
valid point Pop but we all take that chance.one of my story's 3 yrs ago a driver hit me from behind on the m42. He was in a BMW 3. I was in a 44 tonne truck. After he buried the car under my trailor he crawled out and said he never seen me. :Eeek: it was 12 midday sun was out not busy on the 42 a great day for driving. Old bill came I blew into the bag. Clear. Silly bollox blew into the bag. 5 times over the limit. :Eeek:. I just think some of us have certificates some have not for driving but if u get home every night that's a good day don't u think. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
.... always being aware of what MIGHT happen if the drivers around you did the wrong thing and therefore prepared as can be.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
valid point Pop but we all take that chance.one of my story's 3 yrs ago a driver hit me from behind on the m42. He was in a BMW 3. I was in a 44 tonne truck. After he buried the car under my trailor he crawled out and said he never seen me. :Eeek: it was 12 midday sun was out not busy on the 42 a great day for driving. Old bill came I blew into the bag. Clear. Silly bollox blew into the bag. 5 times over the limit. :Eeek:. I just think some of us have certificates some have not for driving but [HI]if u get home every night that's a good day don't u think.[/HI] :Smile:

Yes getting home each night is good but it doesn't make you a good driver.

The man up in court for "causing death by dangerous driving," got home that night, his victim didn't; does that make him a "good" driver? According to your original post, in your opinion it does.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
My old Dad used to say to me, "Son, drive defensively and always expect the other driver to make mistakes." Observation and anticipation. :thumb:

As a former "Blue Light" driver, I am looking so far ahead that I often see hazards that six drivers ahead of me haven't seen, ie, cyclists, pedestrians, etc, especially with commuter traffic in the mornings. :Sad:

At the end of the day, we all make mistakes, (says he, holding his hand up too) but it is the degree of responsibility as a driver, which determines both the severity, and the consequences of those mistakes. For many people, driving a car is a chore, and sadly their use of the roads, is viewed with contempt for others. :Sad:

Regards,

Jock.

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp

As I said in my opinion a good driver is that gets home every night. your saying wat if a drunk driver wipes u out but he or she gets home does that make a good driver. Of course not. Same as an airline pilot does it make him a bad pilot cos the wings fall off the plane. No. Every time we hit the road it's a risk but every time we get home it's a blessing. In my opinion.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
As I said in my opinion a good driver is that gets home every night. your saying wat if a drunk driver wipes u out but he or she gets home does that make a good driver. Of course not. Same as an airline pilot does it make him a bad pilot cos the wings fall off the plane. No. Every time we hit the road it's a risk but [HI]every time we get home it's a blessing. In my opinion[/HI].

Mine too.....

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
When I passed my test many moons ago, my instructor gave me a bit of advice I have never forgotten, 'Never drive on Assumption '.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
The sergeant "training me" for my police driving test said something that stayed with all these years and it went something like this.

Its not how fast you get to an emergency call. The only thing that matters is that you get there safely because if you dont your no use to the victim and an inconvenience to other police officers who will have to be diverted to deal with you.

To me a safe driver:-

1. reads the road ahead
2. is patient and considerate
3. uses their indicators (so many dont these days)
4. drives at a sensible speed leaving a decent stopping distance even in traffic

Unsafe drivers

1. those using mobile phones whilst driving
2. those who are impatient leading to road rage
3. drink drivers
4. drivers on drugs
5. those who had someone pass their test for them

If you asked Tony he would say remember that every other driver on the road is an idiot

Last edited:

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Co-operation, consideration, anticipation, observation. And the realisation that driving is not a competitive sport, but a group activity of like-minded souls.

OP
OP
Flyingscotsman2
Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp

The sergeant "training me" for my police driving test said something that stayed with all these years and it went something like this.

Its not how fast you get to an emergency call. The only thing that matters is that you get there safely because if you dont your no use to the victim and an inconvenience to other police officers who will have to be diverted to deal with you.

To me a safe driver:-

1. reads the road ahead
2. is patient and considerate
3. uses their indicators (so many dont these days)
4. drives at a sensible speed leaving a decent stopping distance even in traffic

Unsafe drivers

1. those using mobile phones whilst driving
2. those who are impatient leading to road rage
3. drink drivers
4. drivers on drugs
5. those who had someone pass their test for them

If you asked Tony he would say remember that every other driver on the road is an idiot
hi Gail wat kind of police car did u drive

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There are many bikers on here and I bet we all ride ( and subsequently drive in more or less the same mode..

The first thing every motorcycle rider it taught is that EVERY other road user ( including other bikers ! ) has set out that day with the specific intention of killing you !!!!

With that in mind bikers tend to ride ( in the main ) very defensively ( if often somewhat too quick for their personal angel to keep up with them !! )
And naturally, if someone rides a lot, that thought remains with them when driving a tin box...

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am decent enough at the actual driving bit, but I wouldn't say I was a particularly courteous or patient driver.

Driving around here is dog eat dog at times. Lots of horn blowing, shouting and hand signals.

Some of the driving I see is incompetent, selfish and often dangerous.

Especially if I have the misfortune to get caught up with the school Mums 4x4 brigade :Doh:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
If every driver set off allowing time to change a puncture before their deadline arrival time the roads would be much safer as they wouldn't ever be late so not rushing the same.

I know it's not always possible as $hit happens but it's better to be 5 mins early to work etc than years early to your grave.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
So observation is when you are tootling along a residential road when it's snowed during the night, but the roads are clear and you see a woman on your right loading the kids up into the Tractor on her drive and you know there's plenty of time cos No Way can she drive it with all that snow covering the front back and side windows, by which time you are about level with her garden and Yes! she reverses straight back onto your side of the road.

Fortunately you don't have any sort of meeting with her because you went up the sodding pavement to get out the way and are now sitting blocking the people opposite's drive. I could easily have demolished their garden had the pavement been narrower.

I know you have to be a mind reader but ......

But at least I had the presence of mind to get out of her way I spose, but if I'd damaged my car doing it you can bet your sweet bippy she'd not even have seen it.

Nobody but nobody can legislate against idiots - and I defy anyone to have foreseen that.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the standards of driving in east London is absolutely terrible,I think its to do with Gails point about using a stand in for the driving test

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
what makes a good driver

At the risk of trivial using a very serious subject matter, I would say:

Around 10 or 11 degrees of loft
Regular flex, graphite shaft
Nicely weighted club head.::bigsmile:

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
I have always tried to plan sources of escape at all times when on the road.

Anticipation
Anticipation
Anticipation

followed by:-

Consideration
Consideration
Consideration

This mantra has not yet let me down :thumb:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I was taught anticipation, I say courtesy costs nothing, keep back from the vehicle in front , on our lane which it is on the outskirts of a village we have a medieval bridge, believe or not we have traffic lights, because a councillor nearly had a near miss, you couldn`t make it up, the other week I was coming into the village, lights my side had changed to green, as I was going over the bridge ,some farmer towing a long trailer had jumped the lights his side. there were several vehicles either side of the lights, we both stopped and I waited, he expected me to reverse, no way, I waved him back, yes I could have reversed, as he was in the wrong so I sat there, he reversed hopefully he will not be doing that again, villagers are fed up with the drivers racing the lights, more often than not going over on the red. usually those using the lane as a cut through.:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back