What makes a good driver- the answer.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Flyingscotsman2, May 11, 2014.

1. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

Morning guys. I put a post up asking. What makes a good driver then. Some great answers, some blowing your own trumpet, answers. And some really professional answers. So my opinion what makes a good driver. Is the driver what gets home to his or hers love ones every night. Keep on trucking. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Popeye

Popeye Funster

If that were only true, what about the poor devil who gets wiped out by the poor driver or the inebriated driver ....... :Angry:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

valid point Pop but we all take that chance.one of my story's 3 yrs ago a driver hit me from behind on the m42. He was in a BMW 3. I was in a 44 tonne truck. After he buried the car under my trailor he crawled out and said he never seen me. :Eeek: it was 12 midday sun was out not busy on the 42 a great day for driving. Old bill came I blew into the bag. Clear. Silly bollox blew into the bag. 5 times over the limit. :Eeek:. I just think some of us have certificates some have not for driving but if u get home every night that's a good day don't u think. :Smile:

4. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM Read Only Funster

The one thing that sets drivers apart is observations. An observation is not just seeing something it is recognising it's implications.

• Like Like x 5
  5. movan

movan Funster Life Member

.... always being aware of what MIGHT happen if the drivers around you did the wrong thing and therefore prepared as can be.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Yes getting home each night is good but it doesn't make you a good driver.

The man up in court for "causing death by dangerous driving," got home that night, his victim didn't; does that make him a "good" driver? According to your original post, in your opinion it does.

7. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

My old Dad used to say to me, "Son, drive defensively and always expect the other driver to make mistakes." Observation and anticipation. :thumb:

As a former "Blue Light" driver, I am looking so far ahead that I often see hazards that six drivers ahead of me haven't seen, ie, cyclists, pedestrians, etc, especially with commuter traffic in the mornings. :Sad:

At the end of the day, we all make mistakes, (says he, holding his hand up too) but it is the degree of responsibility as a driver, which determines both the severity, and the consequences of those mistakes. For many people, driving a car is a chore, and sadly their use of the roads, is viewed with contempt for others. :Sad:

Regards,

Jock.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

As I said in my opinion a good driver is that gets home every night. your saying wat if a drunk driver wipes u out but he or she gets home does that make a good driver. Of course not. Same as an airline pilot does it make him a bad pilot cos the wings fall off the plane. No. Every time we hit the road it's a risk but every time we get home it's a blessing. In my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Mine too.....

• Like Like x 3
  10. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

When I passed my test many moons ago, my instructor gave me a bit of advice I have never forgotten, 'Never drive on Assumption '.

11. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

The sergeant "training me" for my police driving test said something that stayed with all these years and it went something like this.

Its not how fast you get to an emergency call. The only thing that matters is that you get there safely because if you dont your no use to the victim and an inconvenience to other police officers who will have to be diverted to deal with you.

To me a safe driver:-

1. reads the road ahead
    2. is patient and considerate
    3. uses their indicators (so many dont these days)
    4. drives at a sensible speed leaving a decent stopping distance even in traffic

Unsafe drivers

1. those using mobile phones whilst driving
    2. those who are impatient leading to road rage
    3. drink drivers
    4. drivers on drugs
    5. those who had someone pass their test for them

If you asked Tony he would say remember that every other driver on the road is an idiot

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Movinon

Movinon Funster

Co-operation, consideration, anticipation, observation. And the realisation that driving is not a competitive sport, but a group activity of like-minded souls.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

hi Gail wat kind of police car did u drive

14. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

to ass.u.me makes an ass out of you and me

15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

There are many bikers on here and I bet we all ride ( and subsequently drive in more or less the same mode..

The first thing every motorcycle rider it taught is that EVERY other road user ( including other bikers ! ) has set out that day with the specific intention of killing you !!!!

With that in mind bikers tend to ride ( in the main ) very defensively ( if often somewhat too quick for their personal angel to keep up with them !! )
    And naturally, if someone rides a lot, that thought remains with them when driving a tin box...

• Like Like x 4
  16. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I am decent enough at the actual driving bit, but I wouldn't say I was a particularly courteous or patient driver.

Driving around here is dog eat dog at times. Lots of horn blowing, shouting and hand signals.

Some of the driving I see is incompetent, selfish and often dangerous.

Especially if I have the misfortune to get caught up with the school Mums 4x4 brigade :Doh:

• Like Like x 2
  17. aba

aba

If every driver set off allowing time to change a puncture before their deadline arrival time the roads would be much safer as they wouldn't ever be late so not rushing the same.

I know it's not always possible as $hit happens but it's better to be 5 mins early to work etc than years early to your grave.

• Like Like x 3
  18. sedge

sedge Funster

So observation is when you are tootling along a residential road when it's snowed during the night, but the roads are clear and you see a woman on your right loading the kids up into the Tractor on her drive and you know there's plenty of time cos No Way can she drive it with all that snow covering the front back and side windows, by which time you are about level with her garden and Yes! she reverses straight back onto your side of the road.

Fortunately you don't have any sort of meeting with her because you went up the sodding pavement to get out the way and are now sitting blocking the people opposite's drive. I could easily have demolished their garden had the pavement been narrower.

I know you have to be a mind reader but ......

But at least I had the presence of mind to get out of her way I spose, but if I'd damaged my car doing it you can bet your sweet bippy she'd not even have seen it.

Nobody but nobody can legislate against idiots - and I defy anyone to have foreseen that.

• Like Like x 2
  19. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

the standards of driving in east London is absolutely terrible,I think its to do with Gails point about using a stand in for the driving test

• Like Like x 1
  20. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

what makes a good driver

At the risk of trivial using a very serious subject matter, I would say:

Around 10 or 11 degrees of loft
    Regular flex, graphite shaft
    Nicely weighted club head.:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1