What made you spend all that money on a motorhome (1 Viewer)

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
Always camped in a tent as a child all over Europe but always wanted to be in a big American RV! Then I grew up and found out how much they cost and how big they really were so carried on tent camping with my children!
Bought our first ever motorhome, second hand, 15 years ago and this year we celebrate 10 years of full-timing in the same van. I reckon we have had our money's worth.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Many motorhome owners are no strangers to camping. Some have done the full apprenticeship, maybe starting with a simple ridge or dome tent, buying a frame tent, moving on to a trailer tent, then maybe towed a caravan and are now in motorhome. Others have taken a simpler path to motorhome ownership. But what made you do it?

For most of us buying the motorhome was probably one of the biggest purchase of our lives. A considerable investment in an item that is likely to lose money from the moment we buy it. A decision then not to be taken lightly; So why did you do it?

What so endeared you that you’d part with many thousands of £. Did you agonise over the decision, were you scared, did you wake up the next day full of buyers remorse or were you like a kid in a sweetshop.

I am re-vamping our buyers guide and your answers here about why you bought a motorhome will be much appreciated. Thanks.
With me Jim it was the ease of getting up and getting out instead of the hassle when I was tugging...but yes had nightmares over the cost at the time ,and almost changed my mind but my grown up children talked me out of it ,now that I am solo after losing my wife I honestly believe it was ordained as it is my best friend .. Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Pure impulse buy for our first van, which turned into a bit of panic when we realised it wouldn't fit on our drive, despite my repeated assurances to my wife that it would:whistle:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Built my first van in 1995..A converted ford transit mini bus...mainly to travel and fish the north east of england and sw Scottish coasts...
As myra didn't care for that sort of a life I got the job of taking the grandchildren away for holidays in it when not fishing (which they still reminisce about )
Had that van about 15 years and when myra died I decided to give myself something to do and built my current van.. which now completed gets quite a bit of use...so much so that I've decided to buy a new chausson...again something I just felt I had to try....
So @Jim I know what you mean about the sleepless nights and was that the right thing to do... but we are only here for a short while and can take nothing with us so what the he'll. ..
Looking forward to a few more years on the road.
Andy..

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I tend to keep my caravans and campers for some time, probably because when I go to do the deal I know more about what I'm buying than the dealer does. You are spending a great deal of money so make sure you are 100% sure that it is the one for you. (y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Following on from camping we bought caravans.

After about eight years with caravans we had a bad accident when a bus hit us, on the M4, on our way to France for a holiday. Our car and caravan were both badly damaged.

The Caravan Club Red Pennant Insurance offered us a replacement hire car and caravan, or a motorhome to continue our holiday. My wife, still shaken from the accident wanted the motorhome.

I let her have her way, thinking that three weeks in a M/H would put her off, and she would want to go back to our caravan.

Within a week of travelling in the M/H I was hooked and, when we returned from France, we switched our allegiance. That was 1986 and we haven't looked back since. (except through our rear view mirrors).

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
After owning 3 trailer tents, and swearing we would never but a tin box caravan, we then owned 5 caravans and swore we we would never buy a motorhome, we purchased are first motorhome in September 2015, loving the ease of getting to the site setting up and leaving, we will be doing our first trip to France this year in a motorhome after years of doing it with a caravan, already happy to have booked a cheaper then the car and caravan crossing price.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Camped with scouts as a lad, then when we got married I hired VW in 1970, then hired or borrowed 3 more ,(because after a couple of small hotel hols & hired statics disasters), we were then deffo hooked on moho's ( never wanted to tow a caravan). Couldn't afford to buy one decided to try to DIY one. 1978 an old commer minibus (so/so attempt). now on our 10th moho, sure it won't be our last ( must remember not to go to any more moho shows in the near future).
We love the freedom of where to go , also as my funster name states , I hate staying anywhere more than a couple of days & always try to travel a different way back than we came.
Hopefully many years of traveling left , if health permits !!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But what made you do it?

Age, weather.

After years of The Big Annual Fix of touring Europe on a bike we "did" Scotland. The soaking wet bedraggled pair spontaneously said "too old for this, we'll buy a motorhome". It was a message from above, all that moisture up there was dumped on us.

Three weeks later we were MH owners. 10 years on we still have it.

Boring as hell after a bike but we've done more miles, seen more things than we would have if we'd kept going on two wheels.

So, yes, for us an age thing. But thank god I still have a bike.

Reactions: awg

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
My Wife Lyn and I had never camped before together, but had both been brought up with our parents having a caravan. Lyn's Dad had gone one step further and bought a Bowyers Sausage van and converted this into a motorhome, an early PVC (Panel Van Conversion)

So whilst we would chat and swap notes about our childhood holiday memories, the thought of buying a caravan didn't appeal at all

Lyn saw some old pictures that my parents had of a Transit van that I had been messing around with "customising" as it was called in those days. Some will remember such magazines as Custom Car (I've just Googled them and they still exist! http://www.customcarmag.co.uk/) and Lyn regaled me with stories of helping her Dad strip a mains fridge out and rebuild it to work on 12 volt as Dad had seen some Italians with a dual voltage fridge! Tales of travelling around Europe, Holidays in Yugoslavia and wild camping were swapped with my memories of building a customised transit that I could not only "show" at various car events around the country, but could enjoy a beer and the social gatherings as the interior boasted a bed, a shower, a hob and a fridge! Sheer luxury lol

I at the time was very heavily into scuba diving and spent a lot of time underwater, very deep wreck exploration was intermingled with "posh snorkelling" training novice divers in the sea and lots of pool training. Lyn was a reluctant trainee diver! I say reluctant as she enjoyed the diving but wasn't keen on the cold and as she said "The faffing about afterwards"

So, picture the scene: Brixham Breakwater beach and car park one fine morning in May, a crisp, clear but very cold morning a elderly couple had parked in the Breakwater Beach Car park, on the edge of the car park looking out over Torbay towards Thatcher Rock. Both sat in short sleeves, he, reading his newspaper and she, eating a piece of cake, enjoying it with a nice cup of tea

Nowadays we would call it people watching!

Suddenly, James Bond'esq about ten scuba divers appear in the water, pretty much under the elderly couples noses! One minute the beach is pretty empty short of the occasional dog walker and now it is full of neoprene clad, heavily equipped denizens of the sea.

Now to some, watching Scuba divers emerge from the water is interesting and it does often attract local attention, strange equipment and masks, interspersed with odd, unusually loud noises as compressed air is released, computers hanging from belts along with knives, spikes, fins, tanks, mouthpieces and bags! Bags! Bags often filled with crabs, scallops, Lobsters and other exotic creatures from the sea floor!

Our elderly couple were no exception! The daily paper was down, as was the slice of cake and the cups of tea and the watched this interesting tableau unfold pretty much outside their motorhome window.

All I could think about was how warm and cosy they looked, short sleeved, reading the newspapers, a cup of tea and a slice of cake always an evocative notion to me at the best of times.

What further cemented this was the need to disrobe of our equipment, dry off and get warm as quickly as possible as it was really cold for May, more like February! Our car, a hatchback was parked pretty much next to the motorhome on the non beach side, so as weI pulled and struggled to get our wets suit off, we were literally freezing, hopping up and down trying to dry off enough to able to get some warm dry clothes on. Once the basic layers were on the flask was opened and then the process became a lot less frantic. So we were sat against the tail of the car, with diving gear strewn around our feet on the floor, sipping our soup, both still watching the old couple in the motorhome watching us and our dive partners

"That's what we should buy" I said "Imagine, it now we could finish the dive, step out of the gear straight into the van and be warm. I bet its got a heater and a shower, everything, instead of a flask we could make something really nice, leave it on low and have some thing hot straight after a dive!"

"Hmmmmn" Said lyn not really either interested in what I was saying or listening (Normal wife mode)

"And if we bought a motorcaravan" I said warming to the theme "It would be great for the kids, think of the trips we'd have" Lyn and I had three little boys in those days. At the mention of the children Lyn's attention refocused as it normally did and asked

"So what do you think one would cost?"

And that was the beginning of a short, very sharp lesson that I am sure many people go through, understanding just how much money a motorhome costs!

"Oh I would think that something like that" Nodding with my head to the one parked beside us, with absolutely no intention of buying anything remotely like that one "would cost about £5000"

So that was that, on the way home we bought anything that had an advert for motorhomes for sale that the local newsagents had and announced to the boys and Lyn's Mum who had had the boys while we dived our news.

We soon found out that there were more questions than answers!

A Thetford cassette? What's that? A Paloma instant water heater? A Truma water heater?, Blown air? A ZIG unit and ZIG control panel? Wind out awnings? So many new and confusing expressions and names.

An afternoon of reading and perusing, left us feeling fairly confident that we knew what we did, and what we didn't really want, bearing in mind that this was 1988 and there was in internet let along the all powerful "GOOGLE" to answer all of our queries

We tentatively phoned several owners up and discussed their motorhomes and made appointments to view a couple of the best ones.

Well! The one that was closest to us, living in Torbay at the time was about ten miles away from where we lived, very little use, older than we thought, but hardly used. What they didn't tell us was that they kept cats in the bloody thing and it stank like a litter tray and Me, being a sensitive type, am allergic to cats anyway so that was a no no"

The next was filthy dirty and smelt damp, looked damp and was damp. Despite this the enthusiastic owner was proudly extolling the virtues of his motorcaravan even as we had politely declined, lied that it was a little too bog for us and were legging it down the drive as quick as didn't seem rude.

Another day was wasted talking to people, listening how pristine their "baby" was only to drive to look at a heap of shit that was always, without fail either damp dirty, damaged or a combination of all three.

It was then that we discovered MECCA ! Or So it seemed at the time.

EN route back from another pointless, fruitless waste of time, when yet again we had been misled by an owner who we could politely say had been "over enthusiastic" with the truth and short sighted with the reality of the situation we realised that due to our throwing a wider and wider search, travelling much further afield to find the perfect van, we were in Ivybridge, and approaching Plymouth Motorhomes.

We had discounted new as we knew that we couldn't afford a new van. However, it was after hours, they had vans on the forecourt and there were no staff around to embarrass ourselves with looking at things we couldn't afford.

A brand new shiny Autohomes "Highwayman" stood in pride of place on the forecourt. On a two litre Talbot chassis, all pristine, never raced or rallied. We parked and walked up to the Highwayman, Lyn walked down one side, me the other and we both, shaded our eyes and peered into this palace, this spacious modern looking apartment on wheels.

Since then Lyn and I have bought far too many new motorhomes, and we've even dabbled with boats, but the feeling I felt looking through the window of that motorhome will stay with me to my dying day! Part of that warm, fuzzy, excited feeling, was I was looking at Lyn, looking at me, looking at her, if that makes sense? We both knew, just by the look, through two Acrylic double glazed windows that we wanted this motorhome

And it had a ZIG unit and a cassette toilet LOL

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
First holiday at three years old in caravan built by my father on an old Austin Severn back axle. I slept on my cot mattress on the floor. Following further developments like a berth for me we spent weekends and long summers in that caravan for over ten years.

As a teenager I spent time under canvas. (Needing to 'get away from it all ' a few years ago I returned to tenting for a month long inter-rail trip to eastern Europe).

Most of our family holidays were in various touring caravans. We used a caravan when having retired we decided to take a gap year just like all the kids do.

It was a few months into that trip that the seeds for our conversion were sown. The car and caravan were sold following the purchase of a 17 year old Hymer B694. Their sale covered the cost of the motorhome and I got the money back when I sold it four years later.

So all in all having a motorhome has not been a huge expense. We use Aires, Stelplatz, Sostas, carparks etc as well as Cls CSs and Britstops. Our costs are one third of what they were when caravaning.

We don't have any more money of course (just spend a bit more on living life in warmer climes) but our gap year that started five years ago has not finished yet and I have no plans to hang my wheels up yet.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Don't like: being herded into a plane; being up at a specific time; queuing; eating out all the time (sometimes a boiled egg is enough); towing; setting up; breaking down; packing; unpacking. Like: warmth; different places; driving.

Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Tugging 12 years .cancer 2014 change to moterhome .to make life easy. Bought hobby siesta TG65GE .SINGLE FIXED BEDS. This van at the time suited .but due steps , getting to bed ,is hard, due to mobility. For my better half .changed and getting March 1. Hobby OPTIMA DELUX T70E. single lower beds more room .end bathroom. Kids know they will not see much of us .except for 3 weeks in France. :drinks:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We spent nearly 30 years tied to various businesses during which time we rarely managed holidays together or as a family ....

So when the opportunity arose to sell up and take early retirement we bought our first motorhome, enabling us to tour around the UK seeing all the places we had been missing over the years.

We still tour widely in the UK but also soon found the pleasures of traveling further afield and now regularly cross "under" the channel to France, Germany and beyond.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We both tented ( me with my then wife and kids) Jenny towed a caravan with her then hubby.
When Jenny had the "all clear" after a double mastectomy due the the big "C", we got married, I got her to retire early and took all the money out of the bank to buy a van (to see if we liked it) and now got a new (last year) Autotrail Tracker EKS..
She hadn't been out of the country (her hubby was averse to traveling) but I have now taken her to 14 different countries..!!
We LOVE the freedom nearly as much as we love the sun !!
WHEN I (hopefully) get my licence back in June (I lost it for 6 months due to an Epileptic seizure) we will be off again.
The people on this site and their attitudes really do sum up the spirit of the whole lifestyle..
Thank you all, you add to the experience. xx.
Mitch. (y)(y)(y).

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
When we are away from home we always like to explore. Before we got our motorhome we would drive by car to an area and then stay in a B&B or hotel. Then every day we would travel out to an attraction or location and then travel all the way back to our accommodation. It seemed ridiculous to keep going out from A to B and back to A and the next day driving from A to C and back to A etc etc. We realised that if we had a motorhome we could explore as much as we wanted without having to return to the same base.

We couldn’t afford a new motorhome. In fact, we couldn’t afford a nearly-new one or even a not-so-new one! We bought a 16-year old motorhome that is now 22-years old. We've been to so many places that we would never have seen if we had gone the conventional route of package holiday abroad or B&B/hotel in the UK. Another bonus is that if we arrive somewhere and don't like it or the weather is bad then we are not stuck there for the duration - we can drive on to somewhere else. We are in control!

With a motorhome we have our own personal lounge, dining room, bedroom, kitchen and even shower room/loo that we can transport to wherever we want to go. We are not waiting for hours in airport lounges and then sitting for hours in crowded airplanes. And we are not continually emptying suitcases, filling suitcases or sleeping in beds that are too soft or too hard. We have our own things around us in our own ‘home from home’.

That’s what we love about motorhoming.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Having always camped as children we progressed from a pup tent to an old frame tent to a light weight pop up tent, and once our daughters had finished university and left home we started to look seriously at Motorhomes. In France we liked to move around and had family holidays where we pitched up on a site every few days . It was obvious a MH was the way to go! We hired before we bought and never looked back!:hi5:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
@Geo
78 mpg what the bloody hell does that even my motorbike does less than 50 mpg.:eek:
Someones telling you porkies mate don't you listen to em.:eek:
50mpg hah - my '68 Cobra returned under 20 ridden 'enthusiastically':D. Not much less than my current MH.

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
Best thing we ever did! Worth every penny! Freedom is the most precious thing you can enjoy, excitement as you set off, not really sure where you may end up, and being able to move on when you want to see something new. Priceless, and has bought us so much happiness and peace from this mad world we live in. We still have too many responsibilities, elderly parent and work at the moment, but every week we have a day of travel and sleeping somewhere different, cannot wait until we can really go travelling

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Bought mine to get a bit of peace and quite and to get away from her....

"Backfired"

She cottoned on and has come ever since...

As it happen`s... worked out OK.... She does the cooking, washing and bed making.. (y)

But I am on the lookout for a 1 berth PVC... :nod: :nod: :nod:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We wanted one all the time we were caravanning. It seemed to me to be a natural progression: tent two holidays; caravan 20+years; motorhome since. I needed a car for work so towing seemed sensible as I had the means. Once I didn't need a large car the MH was an obvious choice. To me towing isn't a relaxing way to travel - not least because you're always conscious of the car working hard. The MH on the other hand is more fun than driving a car, more relaxing, and has a great view out of the front. And, as someone has just said, I cannot imagine joining the herd in an airport or the routine of a hotel. MH suits the dogs too.

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
Best thing we ever did! Worth every penny! Freedom is the most precious thing you can enjoy, excitement as you set off, not really sure where you may end up, and being able to move on when you want to see something new. Priceless, and has bought us so much happiness and peace from this mad world we live in. We still have too many responsibilities, elderly parent and work at the moment, but every week we have a day of travel and sleeping somewhere different, cannot wait until we can really go travelling

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
My Wife Lyn and I had never camped before together, but had both been brought up with our parents having a caravan. Lyn's Dad had gone one step further and bought a Bowyers Sausage van and converted this into a motorhome, an early PVC (Panel Van Conversion)

So whilst we would chat and swap notes about our childhood holiday memories, the thought of buying a caravan didn't appeal at all

Lyn saw some old pictures that my parents had of a Transit van that I had been messing around with "customising" as it was called in those days. Some will remember such magazines as Custom Car (I've just Googled them and they still exist! http://www.customcarmag.co.uk/) and Lyn regaled me with stories of helping her Dad strip a mains fridge out and rebuild it to work on 12 volt as Dad had seen some Italians with a dual voltage fridge! Tales of travelling around Europe, Holidays in Yugoslavia and wild camping were swapped with my memories of building a customised transit that I could not only "show" at various car events around the country, but could enjoy a beer and the social gatherings as the interior boasted a bed, a shower, a hob and a fridge! Sheer luxury lol

I at the time was very heavily into scuba diving and spent a lot of time underwater, very deep wreck exploration was intermingled with "posh snorkelling" training novice divers in the sea and lots of pool training. Lyn was a reluctant trainee diver! I say reluctant as she enjoyed the diving but wasn't keen on the cold and as she said "The faffing about afterwards"

So, picture the scene: Brixham Breakwater beach and car park one fine morning in May, a crisp, clear but very cold morning a elderly couple had parked in the Breakwater Beach Car park, on the edge of the car park looking out over Torbay towards Thatcher Rock. Both sat in short sleeves, he, reading his newspaper and she, eating a piece of cake, enjoying it with a nice cup of tea

Nowadays we would call it people watching!

Suddenly, James Bond'esq about ten scuba divers appear in the water, pretty much under the elderly couples noses! One minute the beach is pretty empty short of the occasional dog walker and now it is full of neoprene clad, heavily equipped denizens of the sea.

Now to some, watching Scuba divers emerge from the water is interesting and it does often attract local attention, strange equipment and masks, interspersed with odd, unusually loud noises as compressed air is released, computers hanging from belts along with knives, spikes, fins, tanks, mouthpieces and bags! Bags! Bags often filled with crabs, scallops, Lobsters and other exotic creatures from the sea floor!

Our elderly couple were no exception! The daily paper was down, as was the slice of cake and the cups of tea and the watched this interesting tableau unfold pretty much outside their motorhome window.

All I could think about was how warm and cosy they looked, short sleeved, reading the newspapers, a cup of tea and a slice of cake always an evocative notion to me at the best of times.

What further cemented this was the need to disrobe of our equipment, dry off and get warm as quickly as possible as it was really cold for May, more like February! Our car, a hatchback was parked pretty much next to the motorhome on the non beach side, so as weI pulled and struggled to get our wets suit off, we were literally freezing, hopping up and down trying to dry off enough to able to get some warm dry clothes on. Once the basic layers were on the flask was opened and then the process became a lot less frantic. So we were sat against the tail of the car, with diving gear strewn around our feet on the floor, sipping our soup, both still watching the old couple in the motorhome watching us and our dive partners

"That's what we should buy" I said "Imagine, it now we could finish the dive, step out of the gear straight into the van and be warm. I bet its got a heater and a shower, everything, instead of a flask we could make something really nice, leave it on low and have some thing hot straight after a dive!"

"Hmmmmn" Said lyn not really either interested in what I was saying or listening (Normal wife mode)

"And if we bought a motorcaravan" I said warming to the theme "It would be great for the kids, think of the trips we'd have" Lyn and I had three little boys in those days. At the mention of the children Lyn's attention refocused as it normally did and asked

"So what do you think one would cost?"

And that was the beginning of a short, very sharp lesson that I am sure many people go through, understanding just how much money a motorhome costs!

"Oh I would think that something like that" Nodding with my head to the one parked beside us, with absolutely no intention of buying anything remotely like that one "would cost about £5000"

So that was that, on the way home we bought anything that had an advert for motorhomes for sale that the local newsagents had and announced to the boys and Lyn's Mum who had had the boys while we dived our news.

We soon found out that there were more questions than answers!

A Thetford cassette? What's that? A Paloma instant water heater? A Truma water heater?, Blown air? A ZIG unit and ZIG control panel? Wind out awnings? So many new and confusing expressions and names.

An afternoon of reading and perusing, left us feeling fairly confident that we knew what we did, and what we didn't really want, bearing in mind that this was 1988 and there was in internet let along the all powerful "GOOGLE" to answer all of our queries

We tentatively phoned several owners up and discussed their motorhomes and made appointments to view a couple of the best ones.

Well! The one that was closest to us, living in Torbay at the time was about ten miles away from where we lived, very little use, older than we thought, but hardly used. What they didn't tell us was that they kept cats in the bloody thing and it stank like a litter tray and Me, being a sensitive type, am allergic to cats anyway so that was a no no"

The next was filthy dirty and smelt damp, looked damp and was damp. Despite this the enthusiastic owner was proudly extolling the virtues of his motorcaravan even as we had politely declined, lied that it was a little too bog for us and were legging it down the drive as quick as didn't seem rude.

Another day was wasted talking to people, listening how pristine their "baby" was only to drive to look at a heap of shit that was always, without fail either damp dirty, damaged or a combination of all three.

It was then that we discovered MECCA ! Or So it seemed at the time.

EN route back from another pointless, fruitless waste of time, when yet again we had been misled by an owner who we could politely say had been "over enthusiastic" with the truth and short sighted with the reality of the situation we realised that due to our throwing a wider and wider search, travelling much further afield to find the perfect van, we were in Ivybridge, and approaching Plymouth Motorhomes.

We had discounted new as we knew that we couldn't afford a new van. However, it was after hours, they had vans on the forecourt and there were no staff around to embarrass ourselves with looking at things we couldn't afford.

A brand new shiny Autohomes "Highwayman" stood in pride of place on the forecourt. On a two litre Talbot chassis, all pristine, never raced or rallied. We parked and walked up to the Highwayman, Lyn walked down one side, me the other and we both, shaded our eyes and peered into this palace, this spacious modern looking apartment on wheels.

Since then Lyn and I have bought far too many new motorhomes, and we've even dabbled with boats, but the feeling I felt looking through the window of that motorhome will stay with me to my dying day! Part of that warm, fuzzy, excited feeling, was I was looking at Lyn, looking at me, looking at her, if that makes sense? We both knew, just by the look, through two Acrylic double glazed windows that we wanted this motorhome

And it had a ZIG unit and a cassette toilet LOL
Having done lots of scuba diving ,even found a couple of virgin wrecks in Scottish waters,ive also done ice diving before i turned pro in the North Sea , sitting on the lip of the boot of my old ford cortina freezing cold was at times an ordeal ,i can identify with you on that one eddie(y)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Oh, yeah, do keep a boat as well... 36' steel cruiser... now that is a place to spend a month or two (c:

spent about eight times as much on the boat as the MoHo, but still less than a porsche and neither are big depreciating assets (that's my excuse anyway...)
i still have a hankering for a cruiser with a pilot house ,ive had enough of the open deck soaking wet through to your boxers sailing ,just have to convince the missus ,but i do have a plan (y)

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
It started off as a property in Spain.....Then everybody had the same idea and property went through the roof.
So next idea was a motor home which worked out better for us as we get bored going to the same place all the time. That was 10 years ago I think we might get to like it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back